Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    WANDA
    Christmas pudding in slow cooker is it possible?
    • 27th Nov 06, 3:49 PM
    Christmas pudding in slow cooker is it possible? 27th Nov 06 at 3:49 PM
    Could someone please confirm that it is possible to cook Christmas Puddings in a Slow Cooker. Common sense tells me that it is possible but never having made one before, I have recipes but can't see the point of putting pudding to cook on hob if I use the slow cooker on high to simmer. Has anybody out there done it? Sorry such a long post - I know I do go on a bit! Just need reassurance!!!
Page 1
  • tinselfairy
    • 27th Nov 06, 5:16 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 5:16 PM
    I've never done it but a friend at work does her Christmas pudding in her slow cooker every year.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 27th Nov 06, 6:01 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:01 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:01 PM
    It's very possible and makes for a lovely moist pudding.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 27th Nov 06, 6:09 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:09 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:09 PM
    I always cook mine in the slow cooker.

I just fill the slowcooker with a 1/3 of water and stand the pudding in it. Cook on Auto. Occassionally check the water level.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • super41
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:13 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 6:13 PM
    Yes it is! I made ours in it last year & it was superb! Recipe from my slowcooker book.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 27th Nov 06, 7:02 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 27th Nov 06, 7:02 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 7:02 PM
    Yes, I've done mine in the SC this year and last year. I stood the basin on a biscuit cutter and poured water up to about a third of the way up the basin. I cooked it on low for 8 hours. I shall reheat it in the SC on Christmas day.
    • dianasnan
    • By dianasnan 27th Nov 06, 7:09 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    dianasnan
    • 27th Nov 06, 7:09 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 7:09 PM
    Yes, it makes the most lovely dark and moist puds, I made 2 yesterday and gave them about 8 hrs each. Usually make them in July but was a bit late this year. Have even made them using value dried fruit and butter and they were lovely.
  • WANDA
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:52 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:52 PM
    Thank you all for your help - I can now go ahead - slow cooker will be producing one tomorrow, well perhaps two - I might have to taste one! only just to make sure of course!
  • broke mary
    • 29th Nov 06, 9:55 AM
    • 29th Nov 06, 9:55 AM
    hi

was wondering how long the xmas pudding would take to warm up in the slow cooker on xmas day and wether to put it on high or low?

meant to say its a 2lb pudding

thanks
    Last edited by broke mary; 29-11-2006 at 9:59 AM.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 13th Dec 09, 11:08 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 11,745 Thanks
    Money maker
    Shop bought Christmas pudding, how long in slow cooker?
    Hi guys,

Christmas dinner for us all today (long story).

Have a shop bought Christmas pud, says to steam/boil for 2 hours.

How long would this be in the slow cooker and do I need to put a trivet underneath?

Many thanks from a seriously stressed cook
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 13th Dec 09, 11:16 AM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 5,744 Thanks
    ariba10
    It is not a thing I would put in a slow cooker.

Why not slice it into portions and give it one or two minutes in the microwave.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • valk_scot
    Do it in the microwave. Takes less than a minute usually.
    Val.
  • charliee
    i'll give a thrid vote for microwave... much much quicker and no hassle, plus you can just heat up whats needed (we never want pudding the same time in our house) and leave the rest for later...

use the slow cooker for your giblet gravy....
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 14th Dec 09, 10:17 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Icey77
    I've always put mine in the slow cooker.

Put in an upside down saucer, put pudding on the saucer and fill with boiling water to within an inch of the top of the pudding.

Put on high and leave it
  • stef240377
    Did wonder this myself as i have no microwave and am wary about using the pressure cooker for it as never done that before either.
    Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
    • jonny2510
    • By jonny2510 15th Dec 09, 7:34 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    jonny2510
    Christmas Pudding Slow Cooker Recipe
    Does anyone have one they've tried and tested, that they'd care to share?

I (stupidly) agreed to cook the Christmas pudding on Christmas day, expecting it to be fairly easy to prepare. After some searching, there seem to be many different recipes, and I have no idea which to choose!

There'll be four of us, so I'd like to cook for 6 (it wouldn't be Christmas pud without leftovers!), and other than that am open to suggestions.

I greatly appreciate any advice offered, but would prefer something that someone has actually tried in a slow cooker

Many thanks in advance
  • ellie2912
    check your PM's

• jonny2510
    • By jonny2510 17th Dec 09, 6:58 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    jonny2510
    check your PM's
    Originally posted by ellie2912
    Many thanks ellie, but it needs to be a slow cooker one, as I don't have time to watch over a saucepan for a day.
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 17th Dec 09, 7:36 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    Hi Jonny,
    I found several slow cooker recipes on google, I can't vouch for any of them, but the recipes all seem like you'd expect from an Xmas Pud, only the cooking times are "slow-cookerised". So i imagine you could make any recipe you know tastes good and use these recipes as guidance on cooking?

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5928.asp
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1570380/Why-not-try-making-your-own-Christmas-pud.html
    Cooking instructions for pud in slow cooker here.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • archived user
    i just made the delia smith one, then cooked in the slow cooker,looked great to me when it came out! did it for 4 hours on high then turned it to medium and left it overnight
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,182Posts Today

7,957Users online

Martin's Twitter