Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • LJM
    • 26th Nov 06, 7:29 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 7:29 PM
    use it in your coffee,over fruit,not sure really
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
    • wendym
    • By wendym 26th Nov 06, 7:39 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 3,707 Thanks
    wendym
    • 26th Nov 06, 7:39 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 7:39 PM
    Gratin Dauphinoise?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/gratindauphinoise_72994.shtml
  • mel_anthe
    • 26th Nov 06, 8:02 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 8:02 PM
    could you use it to replace some of the milk in a rice pudding?

• janb5
    • By janb5 26th Nov 06, 9:13 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,979 Thanks
    janb5
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:13 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:13 PM
    I have just looked it up for you in my freezer book and it seems that double cream is Ok to freeze but not single - something to do with the high fat content. So maybe make a large amount of sauce with it like a bechamel and then freeze in 2 containers. Would that help?
    • kiwifruit
    • By kiwifruit 26th Nov 06, 9:16 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 23,196 Thanks
    kiwifruit
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:16 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:16 PM
    add either lemon juice or vinegar to it and leave it to 'sit' for abit and you have sour cream to use on wedges/chilli con carne etc etc
  • carolt
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:45 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 9:45 PM
    On breakfast cereal for a bit of luxury, in hot chocolate, likewise, with pasta and smoked salmon, in milkshake to make it extra creamy, on any hot pudding eg crumble or apple pie etc, in quiche, in tarts (see Jusrol site for some good ideas), Black Saturn's easy chocolate moussse (just chocolate and cream, nothing else, see Index), in White Russian (my favourite cocktail - with chocolate liquor and vodka, mixed to taste) - or on fresh fruit, the classic. How can one ever have enough, that is the question???
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 26th Nov 06, 11:07 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    • 26th Nov 06, 11:07 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 11:07 PM
    Make a huge Spagetti Carbonara? Scrummy with cream and bacon
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 27th Nov 06, 1:19 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    • 27th Nov 06, 1:19 PM
    • 27th Nov 06, 1:19 PM
    What about porridge?
    Or switch up some eggs and add some of it to make a luxurious ommlette.
    I made a frittata this weekend to use up some cream - mixed 6 eggs together with a decent amount of cream, seasoned, then poured the mixture over some lightly fried onions and potatoes in a shallow casserole dish. Baked in the oven for about 30 mins then sprinkled some grated cheese over and baked for about another 15 mins - until set. Serve with garlic bread and salad (or, sometimes, beans). Leftovers used to stuff pitta bread.
    Last edited by organic wanabe; 27-11-2006 at 1:25 PM.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 27th Nov 06, 1:24 PM
    • 7,461 Posts
    • 32,116 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    You could use it for soup. If you have any spare veg, potatoes, parsnips, leeks, whatever, chop it up, add a chopped onion, and fry until soft. Add 1.5 pints of chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Blend and then stir in about 3 fl oz cream (or more if you like it really creamy) before serving.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 27th Nov 06, 1:26 PM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Buy large sticky chocolate cake.

Chuck the cream over.

Job done.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 27th Nov 06, 1:29 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 13,471 Thanks
    hollydays
    Add it to a curry to make it smoother?
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 26th Nov 07, 3:56 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    jackie_w
    Single cream
    Hi There,

Ive got just over 1/2 carton of single cream (the rest was used for chicken Korma),can anyone give me any ideas as to how I can use the rest? I would rather use it for dinners/lunches rather than for puddings.

I was going to make a chicken & vegetable pie tomorrow for dinner, but, I was going to make the sauce from a can of condensed soup I have lurking at the back of the cupboard, could I use the cream instead?

Any suggestions welcome.

Jackie
  • Hardup Hester
    Hi jackie_w
    You have just answered the question I was going to ask, I've just made beef stroganof & have half a tub of cream left, so I'll make chicken korma tomorrow, maybe you could make beef stroganof.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Nov 07, 4:10 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Jackie,

You should be able to use the cream to make a creamy sauce for the chicken and vegetable pie. Normally if I have left over single cream I use it to make a sauce for pasta or carbonnara.

You might get some inspiration from this older thread:

how to use up single cream?

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 26th Nov 07, 4:41 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    jackie_w
    Hi Hester,

That sounds great, but, I dont have any beef. Im trying to clear out my freezer before I make another trip to the supermarket. Could you give me your recipe for beef stroganoff?

Jackie
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 26th Nov 07, 4:42 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    jackie_w
    Hi Pink,

Is there anything else I should put in with the cream to make the sauce?

Jackie
    • CheekyLittleMonkey
    • By CheekyLittleMonkey 26th Nov 07, 4:57 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    CheekyLittleMonkey
    You can add the cream to a lamb rogan josh (if you have lamb to use up).
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 26th Nov 07, 5:09 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    jackie_w
    You can add the cream to a lamb rogan josh (if you have lamb to use up).
    Originally posted by CheekyLittleMonkey

Im afraid I dont have any lamb either:rolleyes: and I dont have a recipe for lamb rogan josh:confused: . Would you mind giving me the recipe please.

Jackie
  • windowshopper100
    I like the carbonarra idea at the top of this thread. You can add anything from the fridge you've got lurking. I've usually got some mushrooms going a bit spongy, half an onion and a rasher or two of bacon. Fry it all up, add the cream and pour over the cooked pasta. You can top it wth some tomato and cheese and pop it under the grill for a pasta bake.

I try and avoid ending up with half tubs, especially if it can 'turn' quickly. There's two of us so I end up cooking double so all of a carton of something can be used, even if it means doubling up on the rest of the ingredients, then freezing the other half.

hope this helps... ooh it's tea time...
    WS100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

3,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin