Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • MrsWassire
    • By MrsWassire 29th Mar 11, 9:13 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    MrsWassire
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:13 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:13 PM
    What car do you drive that costs you 5 for a 4-mile round trip? That's about 1 mile per litre! Assuming your car is not as inefficient is that then yes I think you're being cheeky and should refund 3 of it.
    *Insert interesting words here*
  • mayling03
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:17 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:17 PM
    I don't think you should. Negative feedback can't be taken away even if you do right? I think buyer is trying it on. Is he a regular ebayer? What's his feedback like? Seems unreasonable to me.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 29th Mar 11, 9:20 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:20 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:20 PM
    What car do you drive that costs you 5 for a 4-mile round trip? That's about 1 mile per litre! Assuming your car is not as inefficient is that then yes I think you're being cheeky and should refund 3 of it.
    Originally posted by MrsWassire
    What about time spent delivering and presumably getting the item more quickly?

Perhaps an email first asking if personal delivery was Ok first might have helped, but if they're mean enough to leave bad feedback (was it a neg tho?) without giving the OP a chance then, depending on my overall feedback, I'd probably not refund.
  • mayling03
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:22 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:22 PM
    Yes agree with flashg67 in that you should have checked personal delivery was ok. Regarding how much it has cost you, I don't think this is the point. Some ebayers charge more for postage (so they can set a lower starting figure) and its not dependant on how much they actually spend.
    • hermum
    • By hermum 29th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 6,887 Thanks
    hermum
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    I bought something & the seller emailed to say they were coming to my town a couple of days later & they would deliver it to me at a certain time if I was going to be in. To get to where he was going meant driving past my front door. I was happy with the price I paid & wouldn't have expected any discount on the postage.
    It was better than RM as he gave me an approximate time that he would deliver.
    • teeb
    • By teeb 29th Mar 11, 9:28 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:28 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:28 PM
    It's never mentioned what the item is. If it's bulky or fragile, then envelopes / boxing / tape / bubble wrap and so on could easily mount up to at least a couple of pounds.

As for the postage costs, it's true that you didn't have to pay Royal Mail, but it's also true that the buyer got his package much faster than he would reasonably be expecting.

If I were in the seller's shoes, I would probably refund a pound or two and put an explanatory note in the feedback, setting out my reasoning.
    • gettiton
    • By gettiton 29th Mar 11, 9:34 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    gettiton
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:34 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:34 PM
    i think you should have done a partial refund as dropping it off was cheaper and fast all round! but now you have the neg why bother... all is done!
    • MrsWassire
    • By MrsWassire 29th Mar 11, 9:44 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    MrsWassire
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:44 PM
    • 29th Mar 11, 9:44 PM
    Probably took less time to deliver it than to stand in a post office queue... I was going by what the MMD says - that the seller told the buyer it had cost him the same amount (petrol) when this is clearly not the case! And that may be why the buyer is miffed?
    *Insert interesting words here*
    • secretshopper75
    • By secretshopper75 29th Mar 11, 10:15 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 12,080 Thanks
    secretshopper75
    I've previously sold on ebay and delivered it in person after charging postage, the buyer was very happy to receive it so quickly and posted positive feedback.
    • rcherryuk
    • By rcherryuk 29th Mar 11, 10:21 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    rcherryuk
    No, You delivered the package exactly as promised.

He paid the price quoted, let it go, some people are never happy!

Rob
    • emidee
    • By emidee 29th Mar 11, 10:26 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    emidee
    Fraud...
    Aside from whether you should have kept the 5 for postage or not, you've now left yourself wide open to the buyer claiming that he never recieved the item.

If he decided to pursue an 'item not recieved' claim through eBay then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, as you have no proof of delivery.

Paypal (if he used that) would give him ALL his cash back no matter what you have to say, leaving you with no item and no money.

I lost 300 that way once!

ALWAYS get proof of delivery, through Royal Mail or a courier - or have the buyer pay cash on collection; it's the only way to protect yourself!
    Last edited by emidee; 29-03-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    • kouloura
    • By kouloura 29th Mar 11, 10:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kouloura
    postage costs
    Think perhaps you should have asked first as some people object to such personal service! But, in saying that I would have been grateful that you had delivered it so promptly. If the buyer had a problem he should have contacted you before leaving feedback, I would not refund after the event if they have left negative feedback as it won't make any difference to your rating will it?
  • mayling03
    Agree, don't bother with refund if you have the negativ feedback already
    • elsien
    • By elsien 29th Mar 11, 10:39 PM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 44,378 Thanks
    elsien
    I'm with the buyer on this one - if it were me I'd feel well and truly ripped off.
    There is no way it cost you anywhere near 5 to deliver it. You're assuming he should grateful for the faster delivery - why, if he was happy with the postal delivery time should it being there a day or so early make any difference? If it was only a couple of miles away you could have offered the collection option and saved him the fiver completely - if I were them, that would be my line of reasoning anyway.
    I can see why he's aggrieved - I would be as well. You don't mind paying postage costs if there's no other option,and the item is still within what you want to pay. In this case there clearly was another option, hence delivering but still charging what you did is a rip off.

Edit - you shouldn't be charging for the time you spend posting/delivering, that doesn't come into it.
    Last edited by elsien; 29-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    • joey2307
    • By joey2307 29th Mar 11, 10:40 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    joey2307
    Should've refunded some maybe but too late.
    I agree with those saying that you should've refunded some of the postage charge.

But having said that this does depend on whether you wrapped the package and how much the packaging etc would have come to. Petrol alone, even in this day and age, shouldn't justify 5 for a 4 mile round trip. If your car is that expensive to run it was a bit daft using it on such a short journey!

But all this stuff academic now as many have pointed out once the negative feedback is left that's it.

So put it down to experience. Communication is the key, I'm sure you could have come to a mutual arrangement with buyer and compromised at 2-3 for "delivery".
  • p.mckinlay
    I don't think you should refund anything. When the buyer agreed to buy the item, he accepted the cost of postage. He got the item as agreed and delivered in the time you said it would be, so he has nothing to moan about.
    I had someone complain that I charged 2 lots of postage for 2 items he bought at the same time. But he didn't ask whether I would combine postage before he bought them.
    • jonesjw
    • By jonesjw 29th Mar 11, 11:12 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    jonesjw
    A deal is a deal. The buyer knows the postage charge. Give your buyer negative feedback for complaining about T&C which were both fair and clear at the time of purchase.
  • tryfive
    The sensible thing to have done...
    It's entirely plausible that they only offered to buy your item as they knew you were local and were fully intending to collect it themselves - at no cost whatsoever. In which case, you're really just trying it on by preemptivly going around and demanding 5 quid "postage"!

OTOH, if he paid you for the postage before you delivered it, he can only really complain on the basis that you're charging excessive "postage" - which is a valid complaint in this case. It didn't cost anywhere near 5 quid to for you to deliver it - it's patently obvious that it cost you less to drop it off than it would have to post it. Why else would you have delivered it yourself? (Unless, of course, you drive the kind of car which does - what? Four miles to the gallon? In which case the pragmatic thing to do is just quit quibbling and just refund him!)

You really shouldn't have delivered it yourself without checking that was OK with the buyer first. If they were only a couple of miles away, the sensible thing for you to have done would have been to contact them first, point out how far away you are, and offer to let them collect it from you for free.

I would suggest offering to compromise by refunding 3 quid of the 5 quid postage charges - that way, everybody wins!

Whether he's threatening to leave negative feedback or not doesn't come into the question at all.

Last edited by tryfive; 29-03-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 29th Mar 11, 11:22 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    There is a difference between a postage charge and a delivery charge.

You should word your Ebay listing more carefully next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter