Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    BatOutOfhell
    Cheap Cake Recipes?
    • 27th Mar 11, 7:38 PM
    Cheap Cake Recipes? 27th Mar 11 at 7:38 PM
    Would like to bake more cakes, tray bakes, fairy cakes etc for my kids as they taste nicer than shop bought. Unfortunately though shop bought cakes work out to be cheaper than home made as I will only use butter not marg and will only use free range eggs on principle.
    There's usually some sort of offer on in the Supermarket making a small loaf cake about 85p and a 7" sponge cake about 90p.

Can anyone suggest ways of making home made cheaper than shop bought?
    P.S. None of us like bananas, so even though I have loads of black ones in the freezer, they only get used up at the village cake stall

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 12-04-2011 at 8:24 PM.
    2012 in 2012 Challenge 2051.06
    2013 in 2013 Challenge 50
Page 1
  • linzmac
    • 27th Mar 11, 7:46 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 7:46 PM
    Flapjacks are pretty cheap, if you like them, just oats, butter and golden syrup.
  • kymbogs
    • 27th Mar 11, 7:50 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 7:50 PM
    Would like to bake more cakes, tray bakes, fairy cakes etc for my kids as they taste nicer than shop bought. Unfortunately though shop bought cakes work out to be cheaper than home made as I will only use butter not marg and will only use free range eggs on principle.
    Originally posted by BatOutOfhell

I know where you're coming from, but do you think the shop-bought cakes you are getting are made with proper butter and free-range eggs? Some might be, if they explicitly state that they are, but I wouldn't have thought many will be.
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • BatOutOfhell
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:20 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:20 PM
    No they aren't, but the kids don't care - it's me who refuses to go to the trouble of baking at home with cheap marg and battery eggs.....
    I just want to be sure that when I bake, I'm doing it the cheapest way.
    2012 in 2012 Challenge 2051.06
    2013 in 2013 Challenge 50
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 27th Mar 11, 8:40 PM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 14,864 Thanks
    hayley11
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:40 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:40 PM
    You can get a block of basics butter for about 1. I get 12 free range (large) eggs for 2 in my local market. Do you pay more than that? Have you looked around for cheaper butter and eggs?

If you're not willing to buy cheaper products though (like stork instead of real butter) then there probably isn't a way to make cheaper cakes or cupcakes. I agree about free range eggs though, I won't use anything else.
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
  • happierdaystocome
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:50 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:50 PM
    I know you can get shop bought cheaper but as you say yourself the ones you make at home are nicer probably due to the quality of the ingredients. So I suppose like with other things you may have to decide where it is quantity or quality that you want.

Here I have a stash of shop bought cake and biscuts for when DD and DS friends come around but have home made for after dinner or with a cup of coffee.
    "Let your boat of life be light, pack only what you need- A homely home and simple pleasures,one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone who loves you, a cat, a dog, a pipe or two enough to eat, enough to wear and a little more than enough to drink, as thirst is a dangerous thing" Jerome k. Jerome
    • grumswifie
    • By grumswifie 27th Mar 11, 8:54 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    grumswifie
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:54 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 8:54 PM
    Hi there

My tea loaf receipe, cheap, easy and tasty

1 cup currants
    1 cup of tea, fresh made soak currants until cold
    2 cups self raising flour
    1 cup caster sugar

Mix well pour into lined 2lb tin 180c for 50 mins. Serve in thick slices buttered. Delish
    Sealed pot challenge member no 1057
    No toiletries in 2011, well shampoo, toothpaste or deodurant!
  • Vaila
    • 27th Mar 11, 9:41 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 9:41 PM
    Hi there

1 cup currants
    1 cup caster sugar

Mix well pour into lined 2lb tin 180c for 50 mins. Serve in thick slices buttered. Delish
    Originally posted by grumswifie
    I make that cake all the time, but call it bara brith so simple but tasty
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 27th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    • 27th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    Hi there

1 cup currants
    1 cup caster sugar

I love this, I use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar and find this sweet enough, I also add 1tsp mixed spice to the tea (or use any spice you like), scrumptious and cheap!
    Let's get ready to bumble!
  • twiggy100
    I make a similar cake all the time and the kids love it only I use All bran & milk

1 cup All bran (or I use supermarket own version)
    1 cup of currents or raisens
    2/3 of a cup of sugar
    1 cup of milk
    cinnanmon

soak all the above in a bowl of an hour or two, then add 1 cup of SR flour mix up pour into a loaf tin and bake about 160 for an hour or so. Really yummy!
    • tjp70
    • By tjp70 28th Mar 11, 9:49 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    tjp70
    Chocolate Fairy Cakes

100g butter
    100g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    100g self raising flour
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Makes 14 - 16 cakes

1. Heat oven to 180c, gas 4.
    2. Cream butter & sugar.
    3. Beat in eggs, cocoa and flour.
    4. Pop into paper cases in a bun tin & cook for 8 - 10 mins.

My kids love these and they are fairly cheap, really easy to make and you could get the kids to decorate with icing or butter cream.
    Last edited by tjp70; 28-03-2011 at 9:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to add how many cakes the recipe makes!
  • Blackhill
    I would rather bake with stork (and it still tastes far better than cheap shop bought) and know what goes into it. It has to be the very cheapest ingredients along with chemicals to sell it at the price they do. I don't think it's a waste of my time to bake with stork, it even is a little lower in fat content.
  • yumyums
    I also only use free-range eggs & butter in my cakes. I tend to buy butter when it's on offer. I also buy boxes of 15 mixed sized free range eggs from Tescos for 2. They say "mixed size" but I find they tend to be large rather than medium, so very good value.
    Some cakes with vegetable oil in are very nice (eg carrot cake) and cut down on the need for butter.
    I only use supermarket own-brand flour which brings costs down.

If it does cost a little bit more than shop-bought it still tastes a lot nicer so I think it is worth it!

Last year I worked out how much it cost to make a carrot cake and it came to 3.38 (not including topping) and a whisked sponge (sugar, eggs & flour) only cost 0.94 then you can fill it with fresh cream etc
    • Never Enough Money
    • By Never Enough Money 28th Mar 11, 7:30 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Never Enough Money
    This is lovely!
    Hi there

1 cup currants
    1 cup caster sugar

Thank you, I made this tonight, it was really easy and has quickly been eaten by DH and DD x 2, a great success. And the best part is that it is so easy to make they may even make it themselves in future.
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 28th Mar 11, 8:33 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    Thanks grumswifie and twiggy100. I have added your recipes to my little baking book, I am putting together, of simple baking that I can knock up quick and even let DS help make.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
  • purpleheather2810
    Ok I like the sound of the tealoaf - I have a loaf tin, but how do I know if it's a 2lb one?? Sorry to be so dense...!
    Skint but happy with my lovely family

Hypnotherapy rocks
    • grumswifie
    • By grumswifie 28th Mar 11, 8:53 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    grumswifie
    Hi there

Glad you all seem to like the tea loaf cake! 2lb loaf tin is a largeish one, bigger than say a mcvities ginger cake.
    Sealed pot challenge member no 1057
    No toiletries in 2011, well shampoo, toothpaste or deodurant!
    • booter
    • By booter 29th Mar 11, 1:21 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    booter
    There's usually some sort of offer on in the Supermarket making a small loaf cake about 85p and a 7" sponge cake about 90p.

Can anyone suggest ways of making home made cheaper than shop bought?
    P.S. None of us like bananas, so even though I have loads of black ones in the freezer, they only get used up at the village cake stall
    Originally posted by BatOutOfhell
    Hi - I always use marg that's on offer - Morrisons usually have something at half price, be it Utterly Butterly, Can't Believe its not Butter or whatever. I also always do flapjacks & find them to be much cheaper than bought ones, and definately cheaper than "breakfast bars", and they last about 5 minutes in my house! My recipe for flapjacks includes crushed cornflakes so I keep the crumbs from the bottom of the box/pack for that purpose (!) and sometimes I'll throw in some eating apple if they've gone a bit wrinkly in the fruit dish. You say you don't like bananas, but do you like them in cakes, cause I've got a good recipe for banana tea bread?

Flapjacks:
    4oz marg
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    3oz sugar
    3oz rolled oat
    3oz SR flour
    2oz crushed cornflakes

Mix melted marg and syrup. Mix all dry ingredients together, then pour onto the marg mixture and mix well. Press gently into a tin (I find an 8" square gives deep enough portions) (but don't press down too hard else it'll be like concrete!) and bake for around 20 mins gas 5/190 degrees C/375 degrees F, or until firm & golden. Cut into fingers while warm and leave in the tin to cool. Then be prepared for the sugar rush!

Banana Tea Bread:
    8oz SR flour
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or nutmeg
    4oz marg
    4oz light soft brown sugar
    4oz honey
    2 medium eggs, beaten
    2 large bananas, peeled and mashed with a little lemon juice
    2oz stoned dates, chopped (or I sometimes use sultanas)

Rub fat into flour. Stir in sugar, honey, eggs, bananas and dates and beat well until all mixed. Turn into a greased & base lined 2lb loaf tin. Bake at gas 4/180 C/350F for about 1 - 1.5 hours or until well risen and firm to the touch. Cool slightly into the tin then turn out onto a wire rack until completely cool.

For this recipe I regularly replace the honey with golden syrup (or maple syrup), add 1 tsp ginger instead of cinnamon, and around 3oz dessicated coconut instead of dates. Both options are nomnomnommm especially spread with butter!

I'm not sure this recipe will work with black bananas though - it sometimes smells a little like it's fermenting if the bananas are too far gone!
    • booter
    • By booter 29th Mar 11, 1:23 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    booter
    Hi there

1 cup currants
    1 cup caster sugar

I've not tried this yet - it's on the list for this weekend! Thanks!
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 29th Mar 11, 1:09 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Sorry to sound so dumb, but by cup of tea do you mean hot water and a tea bag or a cup of tea with milk like you'd drink?

Just typing this question has made me feel stupid, the answer is probably sooo obvious - sorry!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,805Posts Today

10,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin