Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jo1967
    Rules governing doorstep charity collectors
    • 11th Mar 11, 11:23 PM
    Rules governing doorstep charity collectors 11th Mar 11 at 11:23 PM
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place but I am trying to find out what rules & regs govern door to door charity collections.

Our doorbell went at 8.55pm tonight & on the doorstep is a guy with a Macmillan badge on. He started his spiel & I just said its a bit late to be calling, in reply I got back that its legal to call until 9pm, soon got rid of him. Is this correct?

Dont get me wrong I give to charity but I do not like being hassled at my door on a dark cold night. Its really irritated me!

I will choose my own charities & donate as I see fit. In fact last night I ran a charity night for ovarian/breast/cervical cancer.

Tried a google search but I cant find anything.
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
Page 1
  • Bloomin Freezing2
    • 12th Mar 11, 5:58 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 5:58 AM
    Do you think this guy was genuine? You could always call macmillan and ask their rules but to be honest its over and done with now.

FWIW, it would've annoyed me too, was a bit late.
  • Angel11
    • 12th Mar 11, 6:23 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 6:23 AM
    Found this on our database at work.

Charitable Street Collections:
    • The charity must be a registered charity with The Charity Commission OR have national or international charitable/humanitarian objectives.
    • An unregistered charity will not be issued a licence.
    • Each charity is only allowed to collect once a year.
    • Collections can only be made on the specified date, time and location.
    • The licence has the Council logo on it.
    • The licence should be produced on request.
    • A letter is sent to the charity confirming the collection and licence.
    • No collection will be made in a manner likely to inconvenience or annoy any person.
    • Collectors shall remain stationary.
    • Collection boxes shall be numbered.
    • Collectors normally display some form of identification badge.

Little bubba due 12th September 2011
  • pinkpig08
    • 12th Mar 11, 7:52 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 7:52 AM
    I had someone from a charity come to my door the other day, the 4th in as many months. I saw her badge and said 'I'm sorry I can't give anything'. She said 'Oh no, I'm not collecting.' so I said 'well I've had a lot of charities coming to the door asking me to set up a direct debit and I can't do it, sorry.' to which she replied 'Ok then, thanks.' and went! So how is setting up a direct debit with them not collecting?!! It annoys me very much when these people come round. They try and sweet talk you by asking about your children and it actually makes my skin crawl. I have told a couple of them that I would be happy to make a one off donation but will not give out my bank details on the doorstep. They all tell me they are not allowed to accept donations.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked
    • gingin
    • By gingin 12th Mar 11, 8:28 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    • 12th Mar 11, 8:28 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 8:28 AM
    I had someone from a charity come to my door the other day, the 4th in as many months. I saw her badge and said 'I'm sorry I can't give anything'. She said 'Oh no, I'm not collecting.' so I said 'well I've had a lot of charities coming to the door asking me to set up a direct debit and I can't do it, sorry.' to which she replied 'Ok then, thanks.' and went! So how is setting up a direct debit with them not collecting?!! It annoys me very much when these people come round. They try and sweet talk you by asking about your children and it actually makes my skin crawl. I have told a couple of them that I would be happy to make a one off donation but will not give out my bank details on the doorstep. They all tell me they are not allowed to accept donations.
    Originally posted by pinkpig08

Me too, I had an identical conversation this week with one.... Nothing riles me more than door step collectors. the street ones are okay because you can just keep walking but on the doorstep they have you trapped..... and I'm too nice just to shut the door in their face.

We always get older ladies, always very well dressed and well spoken, doing the knocking here which makes it very awkward, especially as we are new here and Im not sure who might be a "local".
    • thebillet
    • By thebillet 12th Mar 11, 9:37 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    thebillet
    • 12th Mar 11, 9:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 9:37 AM
    I've had a couple come to my door recently; I have no hesitation in lying to them; I simply say I already give a regular contribution to their specific charity. It closes the conversation down immediately. I works with street chuggers too.
    • vroombroom
    • By vroombroom 12th Mar 11, 10:37 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    vroombroom
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:37 AM
    we get this a lot where I live. Its utilities/religions/collectors etc and I tell them all no. I found it rude, intrusive and blimmin annoying.

I work in utilities and get good staff discounts so XYZ company won't save me anything by signing up

Religions - I'm not interested and don't appreciate being spouted off at on my doorstep

charity collectors - I already donate to Dogs Trust and a local cancer hospice, both of which are very close to my heart, and don't want to donate to anymore
    Our gorgeous baby boy born 2nd May 2011 - 12 days overdue!!
    • CG77
    • By CG77 12th Mar 11, 11:45 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    CG77
    • 12th Mar 11, 11:45 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 11:45 AM
    Ooooh don't get me started on this!

About 3 weeks ago I answered the door to a 25ish year old woman. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hello?
    Her: I've had complaints about your music at 3 o'clock in the morning.
    Me: (who has a 4 yr old, teaches at a secondary school and is in bed by 9:30 most nights! ) Sorry?
    Her: Haha just joking!
    Then my 4 year old came to see who it was.
    Her (to my son): Hello, I'm the homework police. Are you doing all your homework on time??
    (My little boy looked worried and looked at me )
    Me: She's just being silly, darling. What do you really want?
    Her (laughing): Well ok, I'm collecting for a children's charity. All your neighbours have already agreed to give £12 a month, provided you give the same amount.
    Me: Well unfortunately I won't be giving anything. Goodbye.

How DARE these people use these tactics?! I was so taken aback I didn't take any details or even know which charity it was, but afterwards I was SO CROSS!

Grrrrr...ahhhh I feel better now.

CG. x
    New Year, New Me!!!

Weight loss mission 2012 has officially begun!!

Loss so far: 3 stone 4lbs
  • Fizzpop
    • 12th Mar 11, 12:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 11, 12:18 PM
    Im just plain evil, i have a sign on the gate (put up by the previous tennents) informing ppl that the children are in bed at 6.30 and any unsolicited doorstep callers will answer to the resident hellhound who has free roam of the garden, this has a pentegram at the bottom and funnily enough ive lived here 5 years and not once had any doorstep sellers.

Could just be where i live though lol
    It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

Of all things we give a child, our words must be carefully wrapped.
  • LJM
    Originally posted by pinkpig08
    My point exactly they are still asking for money whatever way they try to justify it and I too am not prepared to ever give out any bank details at the door
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • lilac_lady
    At that time no-one would get an answer at my front door. My friends,neighbours and family know to give me call if they're planning to call in the evenings. Anyone else, the door stays shut. Works for me.
  • jcr16
    i didn't think any charities were allowed to call at the door anymore. when i was little i remember little envolopes were put though door , and you'd put cash in it and they were collected by a registered person ( usually a neighbour who had a couple of roads to do), back in the time when it was more trusting to do things like that. i was only about 5, so 24 yrs ago.

A few yrs back when i was pg with baby 3, i had two huge guys knock at door, saying they were collecting rfor our local hospital baby unit. i said thankyou, but i'm not interested in doing anything at the moment, but i do give to them. they said well i can see ur preg, it a shame u wont' give us money as you might need the service. i replied, i do support them, but i am not handing anythign over.they got really in my face and i said please leave i'm not interested. they said well it half term soon, so your prob be home, we will call back them. i felt so threathened. i phoned the local hospital, contacted the department who they said they were collecting for and they said ,we have no canversees in that area today and that isn't how we do things. they told me to call police asap. i did so. and the police came very quickly, took statements and description. not sure what happened. but it was so scary at time.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • jo1967
    Interesting to hear what others think.

Its not that I dont or wont give to charity but it will be on my terms.

My husband (who is waaaayy more polite!) asked the chap to call back at a more convenient time - the collector said he couldnt as he was from a town 40 miles away. Well we have a branch in my town why come all that way? I have emailed Macmillan - if people are scamming they need to know - or teach their collectors curtesy!
    • Princess Coupon
    • By Princess Coupon 12th Mar 11, 8:09 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    Princess Coupon
    I used to be a manager in a call centre and staff were only allowed by law to make outbound calls till 9 so it could well be right.
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven

• celebrate
    • By celebrate 12th Mar 11, 8:14 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 78,970 Thanks
    celebrate
    i don'topen the door once its dark, i'll scream thro the door, who is it??? and if the response is a voice i don't recognise i will tell them to go away or open a window if they refuse, i never open the front door

its not safe to open the door to strangers at night, sorry thats my opinion, my husband works away and i'm scared shi*less on my own as it is
    • lavandergirl
    • By lavandergirl 12th Mar 11, 9:04 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    lavandergirl
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306567/Fees-high-street-chuggers-eat-millions-donated-charities.html

Chuggers get paid whenever they sign up people.

Charity fund raiser job adverts can be seen in recruitment agencies.
    Last edited by lavandergirl; 12-03-2011 at 9:07 PM.
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
  • jo1967
    Celebrate - very wise.
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 13th Mar 11, 12:31 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    We`ve had 2 of these doorstep people in the last couple of weeks , both around 8.30pm at night.First one Macmillan, second one Tommy`s charity !!
    • Mankysteve
    • By Mankysteve 13th Mar 11, 1:36 AM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mankysteve
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306567/Fees-high-street-chuggers-eat-millions-donated-charities.html

Chuggers get paid whenever they sign up people.

Charity fund raiser job adverts can be seen in recruitment agencies.
    Originally posted by lavandergirl
    Unfortunately at this moment in time I have little to give but I wont give to charities that I know to use chuggers in way shape or form.

• babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 13th Mar 11, 1:56 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    We have a sign on the door which stops the majority of collectors, but not the salespeople. It did cut down the junkmail when we first put it up, but I think the local leaflet distributers are now either illiterate or don't speak/read much English.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter