Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 10th Mar 11, 9:33 PM
    • 972Posts
    • 5,065Thanks
    Tink_04
    What is the best change you have made in your DFW journey?
    • 10th Mar 11, 9:33 PM
    What is the best change you have made in your DFW journey? 10th Mar 11 at 9:33 PM
    Hi

I was just wondering what is the best change you made in your DFW journey? either mind wise or practically. It can be big or small - im just looking for some inspiration really and would love to hear about things that have helped people! mine so far is meal planning and having separate bank accounts for different things as it is helping me manage my money so much better!

Tink
    1p savings challenge 2018
    2 savings challenge
Page 1
    • bluebag
    • By bluebag 10th Mar 11, 9:35 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 23,311 Thanks
    bluebag
    • 10th Mar 11, 9:35 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 9:35 PM
    The best change was my attitude, realising that having no money didn't make me poor. It made me strong.
  • makemedebtfreeplease
    • 10th Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    Packed lunches for work and leaving my purse at home so I cant be tempted by the local shops at lunchtime!!!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Mar 11, 10:02 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,417 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:02 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:02 PM
    Keeping in mind my formula for getting & staying debt-free, which is this:
    "If I have to put it on a credit card, take out a loan or go into overdraft to buy whatever it is, then that's someone else's money, not mine, so I obviously can't afford it".
  • Mrs Jojo
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:06 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:06 PM
    Simply the decision to pay the debt off, and the realisation that doing so is possible!

Tied into that are all sorts of things like meal planning, taking lunch into work, car-sharing etc. but the big change is seeing the possibilities!

(NB: not popping into Mr T's every night after work and spending 20 is also having a MASSIVE impact!)
    Aiming to be debt & mortgage free by November 2018!
    • Jinx
    • By Jinx 10th Mar 11, 10:31 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    Jinx
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:31 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:31 PM
    Stopping using credit cards.....I couldnt be trusted....

Finding a tightwad hubby, keeps me on the straight n narrow lol

Standing orders for paying debts, cant forget and its just done automatically

I think the most important thing was finally realising I couldnt go on like this and starting my DMP - lightbulb moment was truly an epiphany!!
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011
    • backinbusiness
    • By backinbusiness 10th Mar 11, 10:38 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    backinbusiness
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:38 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 10:38 PM
    Getting a handle on income and outgoings.

Reducing outgoings as far as possible.

Budgeting (accurately)!

Drawing cash for weekly spend - once it's gone it's gone!

But biggest change? My attitude to money, debt and wastefull spending.

bib
    DF
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Mar 11, 11:01 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Tink_04
    • 11th Mar 11, 11:01 AM
    • 11th Mar 11, 11:01 AM
    I think a lot of people attitude changing is making a massive difference - im not sure if im still in denial or just not trying hard enough but i find im full of good intentions that dont last - think i might look through my online banking and find out what money ive wasted and see if that wakes me up a lil more!!!
    2 savings challenge
  • mi jardin
    • 11th Mar 11, 11:09 AM
    • 11th Mar 11, 11:09 AM
    Getting out of the mindset of going out on my days off. I don't HAVE to go to the garden centre for a look around, and inevitably buy something, or I don't HAVE to go to the supermarket for that milk, I can make it last until a day I am at work and can get it without spending the extra money and fuel.

• Amatheya81
    • By Amatheya81 11th Mar 11, 12:49 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Amatheya81
    As everyone else has said it's the mind set. Getting yourself out of the feeling down about having no money and into feeling excited about how much your paying off.

Also setting yourself a budget, packed lunches, not going shopping for entertainment, not impulse buying, cutting out things you don't need like magazines and re-suffling debts to reduce your APR.
    • MessyMare
    • By MessyMare 11th Mar 11, 12:54 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    MessyMare
    Budgeting properly, well in advance, and paying for everything in cash have got to be mine. It's given me a sense of control and a big reality check as to where I'm at and what I'm doing
    DEBT: 3585.91/76843
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #033 635.78/2435.78
    EMERGENCY FUND: 1000/1000
    Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time
    • TakingControl
    • By TakingControl 11th Mar 11, 1:01 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    TakingControl
    Like most said, budgeting and actually accurately deciding on outgoings, none of the 'I stick it on the card and pay later'. I have even managed to have a little emergency savings fund. Not a lot in it as I am on a DMP but realising I can live on 'x' and don't need to spend every day.
    LBM 11/2009 Total Debts 11/2009 44624 with DFD 2015
    Debt Free Date: 14/11/2012
  • glittermonster
    I love this thread!
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 11th Mar 11, 1:41 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 2,931 Thanks
    Naomim
    Very similar to you Tink, meal planning has helped loads and a savings account where I save for the usual car repairs, mot, insurance etc - I keep a spreadsheet with different "pots" for each thing I need to pay out for. Also cash for my weekly spending rather than debit card.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 18,609.97 / Jun17 21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 4577.44 07/17 4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
    • BEAT THE DEBT
    • By BEAT THE DEBT 11th Mar 11, 6:47 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    BEAT THE DEBT
    stop using credit cards and accepting help and not judging my self woth by my credit score!!!!
    Last edited by BEAT THE DEBT; 11-03-2011 at 6:51 PM.
    Started comping 2nd May 16. Wins so far... May was
    cat wormer ^.^ Rose hamper from m&s. Heal cream. June cool bag. July febreeze win for review Minky 100 ironing bundle. August. Handmade throw fbk.
    Sept,a canvas print and cushion fb. A window cleaner tool fb. Oct: A diamond ring keyring. Nov. Foot care bundle, sonic toothbrush.
  • MiaowMiaow
    the realisation that i can actually do something about it and thinking about all of the small savings as massive impacts on my future :-) and telling myself i will do it!! definitely agree with the whole mindset thing.
    • DragonflyCandy
    • By DragonflyCandy 11th Mar 11, 7:46 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    DragonflyCandy
    there are two things ive changed that have helped alot,
    one is taking our weekly budget out on a monday, knowing that that is all we have for a week makes us realise how much we used to spend on rubbish we're alot better at sVING and only buying what we need.
    the second is to make a list of what you need before you go food shopping and stick to it this has saved us soooo much!
    great thread by the way
    [CENTER]
    Finally had the "lightbulb moment" now facing up to debts
    If you aint got nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all
    Looking forward to a fresh new year, Happy 2012!!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Mar 11, 8:06 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Tink_04
    all good ideas everyone! think i need more commitment and motivation! loving reading all the ideas tho everyone keep em coming - im starting a spending diary NOW!!!!
    2 savings challenge
  • DebtfreeBY40
    The best thing that feeds into the rest of the month is sitting down when we get paid and working out how much we have left after all our bills are paid and then what we need to spend money on over the rest of the month. Tight budgets for food and fuel. The rest on savings or debts. So we have enough money to live on all month rather than dreading looking at our accounts by the end of the second week because we've just spent it all! As a consequence we understand how much we were wasting and that by budgeting the world literally is our oyster!
    If you knew it then you know it!

3160/11,000
  • Malky
    The main thing that keeps me going is the difference between wanting something and needing something.
    In the past month, if I'd gone ahead and bought things I wanted then I'm sure I would be over 2K in debt by now. Instead, I probably spent less than 100 on things I actually ended up needing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin