Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Mar 11, 5:46 PM
    • 5,767Posts
    • 16,630Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    whats the most os thing you have done ?
    • 10th Mar 11, 5:46 PM
    whats the most os thing you have done ? 10th Mar 11 at 5:46 PM
    As well as the usual [meal planning /gyo] what have you done that makes a difference ?
    I have replaced my dead automatic washing machine with a brand new twin tub, instead of a cycle taking 30-90 mins i can do all my washing in just over an hour.
    We are hoping to get a multi fuel burner this year and make brickettes[sp] with all the junk mail we get.
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones there’s a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
Page 1
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 10th Mar 11, 7:16 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:16 PM
    Ive replaced my gas-guzzling old back boiler with a new A Rated Combi boiler and replaced the gas fire with a new Electric one (so that we can just have the fire effect - which costs a penny an hour to run) hopefully, this will not only save us a couple of hundred pounds a year - it will also help the environment.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 10th Mar 11, 7:28 PM
    • 9,462 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:28 PM
    As well as the usual [meal planning /gyo] what have you done that makes a difference ?
    I have replaced my dead automatic washing machine with a brand new twin tub, instead of a cycle taking 30-90 mins i can do all my washing in just over an hour.
    We are hoping to get a multi fuel burner this year and make brickettes[sp] with all the junk mail we get.
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG

Wow! I bet it's cleaner too I guess it's a bit of extra work for you, how do you find it?
    Last edited by Barneysmom; 10-03-2011 at 7:32 PM.
  • Sublime
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:31 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:31 PM
    Nothing major. Just my slow cooker, and bread maker. Fresh bread costs pennies, plus I can make easy, delicious meals in my SC.
    • MaLarkin
    • By MaLarkin 10th Mar 11, 7:39 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    MaLarkin
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:39 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 7:39 PM
    Declared the car out of bounds except for travelling to and from work. All shopping is done on the way.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Mar 11, 8:10 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:10 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:10 PM
    Wow! I bet it's cleaner too I guess it's a bit of extra work for you, how do you find it?
    Originally posted by Barneysmom

i believe the washing is cleaner , at 1st i got my powder from the £1 shop but its false economy , daz twin tub powder is great. it is a bit extra work and it took a couple of days to get used to but instead of a 30 min wash just to freshen up some clothes i can do anything from 3-15 mins.
    The machine itself is direct drive so theres no belt theres virtually nothing that can go wrong [touch wood ]
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones there’s a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
  • robbiedoggy
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:16 PM
    Well done!
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:16 PM
    I praise you for the twin tub but couldn't accomodate one myself however my new machine has a very short (15 min) wash and I use that for washing everything except bedding.

My biggest OS is to try and make as many things myself for gifts (either baked, preserved or sewn) and find they are much appreciated by the recipients - particularly baby blankets with names embroidered on.
    Be nice to each other
    Robbiedoggy
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:20 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:20 PM
    How is the spin-dryer on that twin-tub? I seem to recall my mother taking nearly all day on Mondays doing the family's laundry in hers.

I'm not a proper OS type, really. I just sneak in here for handy tips and interesting chat among other things BUT I have made my own laundry-detergent aka "gloop" and very cheap and efficient it is, too. It's saved me buckets of money
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Mar 11, 8:22 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:22 PM
    • 10th Mar 11, 8:22 PM
    the spin dryer is very fast 1400 spin ,some of the lighter items come out almost dry. the machine isnt perfect but i doubt i will go back to a normal machine for a very long long time.
  • CFC
    Stand alone spin dryers (as in a twin tub) are always better than front loaders.
  • elfen
    I use the quick wash unless its for bedding and towels. I love my slow cooker and my hand blender
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • bluebag
    • By bluebag 10th Mar 11, 9:58 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 23,311 Thanks
    bluebag
    Ive taken to boiling the kettle once in the morning and filling a big thermos with it to save endless boilings of the thing for my endless brews.
  • exlibris
    I use the shortest wash for everything except undies. I miss the twin tub for washing things like dusters - they used to go in on their own at the very end. Now I use them till they are mankey and then throw them. I must say that they are suitable rags before they become dusters & floor cloths so they have probably earned their keep anyway!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 11th Mar 11, 3:59 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 58,439 Thanks
    sistercas
    my tumble drier broke last summer and i havent replaced it , saving money and energy I shant get another one now

i also do the thermos thing , i bought a pump dispenser thermos with tesco vouchers last year , its great when im at home, tea on tap
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 11th Mar 11, 4:08 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    ive just read on netmums that someone only uses soda crystals and fabric conditioner to do their washing ,its costing a fraction of the cost for "normal" powder.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Mar 11, 8:29 AM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Ive taken to boiling the kettle once in the morning and filling a big thermos with it to save endless boilings of the thing for my endless brews.
    Originally posted by bluebag

I do this but OH wont !
    • cyclura
    • By cyclura 12th Mar 11, 8:47 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    cyclura
    I use cloth nappies for my children, it saves a fortune as I am only paying for a couple of extra washes a week rather than anything up to £15 per week on sposies plus its greener.
    We now have our own chickens for the eggs and meat and we have started up a new veg plot so we hopefully only have to buy the stuff we cant grow.
    All my washing is air dried rather than tumble and I no longer buy 3 loaves of bread a week, I buy one and make 2. I bathch cook and freeze aot more too.
    Debt Free...yay! 10/09/2013

• CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Mar 11, 9:05 AM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    i would love to have chickens but i think my neighbours would kick up a fuss , ive been on ebay and ordered a load of rhubarb/celery seeds and a hazel tree [free nuts eventually] ive also ordered a lot of bluebell seeds just because they look lovely !ive set my spring onions /strawberry/tomatoe seeds and ive been given pea pod plants and a couple of more established tom plants.
    we have a fairly big [ish] garden so this year we hope to redo it including raised beds .
    • cyclura
    • By cyclura 12th Mar 11, 9:42 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    cyclura
    chickens are great, we are lucky though as we have a small 3/4 acre plot attached to our garden which we have use of (owned by our house landlord luckily) and the chooks plus poly tunnel and veg plots go in there. We are in the process of securing a part of it for 3 piglets too which should make an excellent veg plot once they go to slaughter its just saving for the leccy fence thats taking an age
    Debt Free...yay! 10/09/2013

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 11, 10:42 AM
    • 16,408 Posts
    • 140,260 Thanks
    JackieO
    probably easier for me as I live alone but I too fill the thermos with my kettle ful thats boiled up one a day,I also wait until I the last thing at night before I do the dishes I don't own a dishwasher or tumbledryer so thats not a problem I use my Remoska most of the time instead of my big oven and my SC is used to make soups,stews and almost anything I can find that will go in it. I streeetch out meals with soup starters OR a pud for afters, and if I'm cooking mash will always cook extra to freeze in ice-cream sized scoops .Virtually the only veg binned is the peelings ,I don't bother with composting them as I do very little gardening my one expense in the summer is a chap who cuts my lawn for me.He can't work because of MS but is still very mobile and its a few bob extra for him.I recycle as much as I can and make all my own cards for Christmas plus various presents as well.My children have always called me Frau Frugal so its second nature to me.I too use soda crystals in my washing plus white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner.I clean the windows insides only - as I have a chap who does the outsides-with vinegar and bits of the 'free newspaper' that comes through the letterbox.Its amazing how you can save such a lot with a little bit of foresight.Sainsburys 10p shower stuff gets watered down into hand pump dispensers for handwashing.
    I have so many things that I do that it would be a month of Sundays writing them all down but I can live on very little really and have a good and healthy lifestyle.
    Pick and freeze berries when in season, to eat when not, IYSWIM
    I don't compromise on washing up liquid though I only use Fairy as it lasts longer than the cheapy stuff.
    The way I live enables me to have two holidays a year one in the spring and one in the summer I also can afford to treat my seven grandchildren without it breaking the bank.
    Last edited by JackieO; 12-03-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin