Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tillywils
    Old-style recipes
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:07 PM
    Old-style recipes 4th Mar 11 at 5:07 PM
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if this old-style recipe might help with the food budget. It goes back many years to other times when money was short and tummies were empty (I'm now a 'senior' and my Mum and Grand-mum used to make this way-back-when)

Bacon and Onion Dumpling
    Two or three rashers of bacon (chopped), one onion (chopped), mixed herbs if you want, 6oz self-raising flour, 3oz suet (the vege sort is good) and some water.
    Mix flour and suet together, add herbs if you want them and then add enough water to bring the pastry together. Roll out into a rectangle on a floured board, sprinkle the bacon and onion over the pastry, moisten the long edges and turn in a little way. Moisten again and then roll up like a swiss roll.
    Put onto a piece of foil (lightly greased) leaving room enough for the dumpling to swell and then into a steamer. Steam for 2 or 3 hours (don't let the water boil dry). Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever other vegs you want, and some gravy. Cheap, tasty and filling!
Page 1
  • anguk
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:19 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:19 PM
    I make something similar but bake it in the oven instead of steaming it. I got the recipe from this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=278084&highlight=suet
    I use mrbadexample's mum's recipe:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=3291818&postcount=23
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • rosieben
    • 4th Mar 11, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 7:24 PM
    great recipe, thanks, I've put a link to this from the Grocery Challenge recipe list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Turkishdreamer
    • By Turkishdreamer 4th Mar 11, 8:39 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Turkishdreamer
    • 4th Mar 11, 8:39 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 8:39 PM
    I like the sound of this, but would need to adapt it to a veggie option, any ideas??? Think onions and herbs would be a bit bland needs a bit of bulk, but the time for cooking doesn't lend itself to quorn.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning
  • anguk
    • 4th Mar 11, 9:42 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 9:42 PM
    I like the sound of this, but would need to adapt it to a veggie option, any ideas??? Think onions and herbs would be a bit bland needs a bit of bulk, but the time for cooking doesn't lend itself to quorn.
    Originally posted by Turkishdreamer
    It's lovely made with leek and mushrooms instead of bacon and onions. I always lightly fry the filling first but that's because I bake the dumpling/roly-poly in the oven, if you're going to steam it for a couple of hours you probably wouldn't need to.

Roast pepper or roast veg filling would be nice, served with something like a herby tomato sauce instead of gravy.
    Last edited by anguk; 04-03-2011 at 9:57 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 5th Mar 11, 12:35 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 5th Mar 11, 12:35 AM
    • 5th Mar 11, 12:35 AM
    Hi tillywils,

Welcome to Old Style and what a great first post! I'll add your recipe to the main cheap recipes thread later so that it will be easier for other users to find.

Pink
    • MellW
    • By MellW 18th Sep 12, 2:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    MellW
    • 18th Sep 12, 2:20 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 2:20 PM
    How funny that I should read this old thread today, I was just talking to my son yesterday about this dish as I haven't cooked it for years!

My Mum and Dad used to do this and I loved it, we had it with mashed potatoes and carrots in white onion sauce...yummy!

Now I'm a vegetarian I'm going to try it with Quorn rashers for me and bacon for the boys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter