Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 20th Nov 06, 9:33 AM
    • 23,754Posts
    • 22,635Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    Lovely suprise in the post.. but small dillema..
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:33 AM
    Lovely suprise in the post.. but small dillema.. 20th Nov 06 at 9:33 AM
    Having a great start to the day! Recieved a nice cheque from HM revenue and customs for £115 because apparently I paid too much income tax in 04/05! Had no idea about it so it's come as a lovely shock!
    Trouble is.. part of me wants to spend it on treating ourselves.. Don't know why.. we've done so well clearing off 3 debts in the space of a month and £115 extra would mean we could pay another one off sooner.. and I know if we did use it to treat ourselves that I'd have a serious comedown after and feel like I'd wasted the money.. but saying that I haven't treated myself in ages.. Argh!
    Can someone please talk some sense into me! If I put it towards what we were originally planning with saving the next 3 lots of our tax credits and our child benefit we'd have £612.50 by 6th December which would pay off another debt easily with some left over.....
    I know what DH will say.. he'll tell me to treat myself... but I just can't justify it knowing we'd still got debts outstanding! Argh!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 21-11-2006 at 5:18 PM.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
Page 1
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 20th Nov 06, 9:35 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:35 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:35 AM
    do you have any idea what you want to treat yourselves with?

If you have nothing specific in mind and just feel like blowing it- avoid doing so, it will be wasteful.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 20th Nov 06, 9:36 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:36 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:36 AM
    Hi

What a great surprise. Could you divide it up say half on a 'treat' and half on debt? Alternatively could you think of a 'treat' that is actually a need as well???

Have fun deciding what to do
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • themaccas
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:40 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:40 AM
    Could you not use a little to treat yourself - a meal out/cinema trip with OH. If not then I agree with Lynzpower put it onto your debt, you are doing so well and I'm sure you won't regret it.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 20th Nov 06, 9:41 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:41 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:41 AM
    See that's the thing I don't know of anything that I could justify spending it on! There's an xbox 360 game I want but I don't NEED it that's the trouble! There's nothing I need really only things I want and I've got the DFW mantra drummed into my head 'Do I need it, do I want it, can I afford it!' lol!
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 20th Nov 06, 9:43 AM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 5,718 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:43 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:43 AM
    If you spend it you will regret it later.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • irishjohn
    • By irishjohn 20th Nov 06, 9:48 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    irishjohn
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:48 AM
    its very simple
    DO YOU NEED A TREAT?

DO YOU WANT A TREAT?

CAN YOU AFFORD A TREAT?

For each question answered yes spend one third of the rebate!
    John
    • bobbadog
    • By bobbadog 20th Nov 06, 9:48 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    bobbadog
    I personally would treat myself in a MSE way (get your Xbox game if that's what you so desire, but either on eBay or with vouchers or a discount code or what not). Use the rest for paying things back - will make you feel good inside

• dinkylou
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:50 AM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:50 AM
    Yep, agree with others.

Don't spend it on something you don't need. You'll regret it.

Maybe keep a few pounds back for a small treat but put £100 towards your debts. You'll feel better for doing it.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 20th Nov 06, 9:51 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    why not use one of tyhe LX codes over on the discount vouchers board, we got a Xbox game for £8 yesterday using the code
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 20th Nov 06, 9:53 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    We already get our games DFW stylee and DH gets 30% off them as he works for HMV.. so we get full priced xbox 360 games for normally around £25.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • sandralovescats
    DO YOU NEED A TREAT?

DO YOU WANT A TREAT?

CAN YOU AFFORD A TREAT?

For each question answered yes spend one third of the rebate!
    by irishjohn

I don't agree!

When someone has been sticking very very closely to a debt management programme and has done really well, a small treat with a windfall can help to keep you on the straight and narrow. It can help to just go out and have a wonderful time, a weekend away, or whatever, otherwise life can just seem too hard and too monotonous to cope with.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 20th Nov 06, 10:39 AM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 13,282 Thanks
    cathybird
    I think 90% towards the debt and the remaining £15 or so on a treat, but stretch the cash as far as you can - buy something on Ebay or get a nice takeaway where you can use the leftovers the following day and thus keep down the cost. If even the thought of that gives you a twinge of guilt, tho, perhaps it might be better to put the whole lot on the debt. Speaking for myself I have had stretches where I've spent every spare penny on the debt and other points where I bought the occasional chocolate pudding or whatever (marked down if possible). It's good to treat yourself occasionally, as long as you keep the cost low. It can be a very hard grind if you don't...
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 13/21. 2018 AFDs: 266/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
  • Mrs Sparkle
    If it was me I'd buy a small treat and put the rest towards debt. You will feel so much better for having used the money wisely while at the same time you'll have had a little reward which is good for motivation I find!
    Debt at highest May 2006: 27,472.24
    currently: 13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Mrs Sparkle
    I don't agree!

When someone has been sticking very very closely to a debt management programme and has done really well, a small treat with a windfall can help to keep you on the straight and narrow. It can help to just go out and have a wonderful time, a weekend away, or whatever, otherwise life can just seem too hard and too monotonous to cope with.
    by sandralovescats
    Well, according to Irishjohn's suggestion she can then spend a third of the rebate on a treat! She "wants" a treat therefore she can tick the second question
    Debt at highest May 2006: 27,472.24
    currently: 13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 20th Nov 06, 11:04 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I think the only other problem is that if I tell DH I'm considering treating myself, he'll get all het up because there's a game HE wants which he's been bugging me about non stop... so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.
    I'm kind of used to DH getting what he wants and me going without so going to prevent that by just lumping it straight into debt savings.
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 20th Nov 06, 11:25 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.
    I'm kind of used to DH getting what he wants and me going without so going to prevent that by just lumping it straight into debt savings.
    by immoral_angeluk
    Awww hun

I think you know this is the right decision - good on you!

Think of all the nice things you'll be able to get that bit sooner by being disciplined about your debts.....you're doing really well

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 20th Nov 06, 11:58 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    I think its a good idea to spend on debt- it will be worth it, its true

And also Xmas is round the corner isnt it, youll get some treats then Angel Im sure of it
    This Ive come to know...
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 20th Nov 06, 12:14 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 13,282 Thanks
    cathybird
    I think the only other problem is that if I tell DH I'm considering treating myself, he'll get all het up because there's a game HE wants which he's been bugging me about non stop... so I think I'm definately just going to put it all into the debt savings just to save the arguments.
    by immoral_angeluk
    perhaps the solution is to swap blokes with Imelda?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=309008
    sending haagen dazs & pizza is what you want ...
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 13/21. 2018 AFDs: 266/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
    • wilf55
    • By wilf55 22nd Nov 06, 9:05 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 33,331 Thanks
    wilf55
    treat or pay off
    pay off debt

when u are debt free you can have more treats...and not fee guilty

the guilt would ruin the treat anyway i know ive been there are done it

but didnt even get a free t shirt!!!
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. 62.50/6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,107Posts Today

7,593Users online

Martin's Twitter