Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,612Posts
    • 20,872Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx 19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just 750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx 1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of 70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: 89, 489.14 (20.06.2018)
    OP's to Date 6000

Renovation Fund:736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx 2.50 (after microwave purchase
Page 129
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 3rd Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I hope your MIL makes a good recovery. I was reading your posts from a few days ago and thought you had a lot on your plate, so the news about your MIL must have added even more to things on your mind. Hope you are managing to get some relaxation this weekend
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 30,234 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Get Well Soon it-MIL.
    Last edited by smallholdingsister; 03-02-2018 at 6:29 PM.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 3rd Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thank you everyone. MIL is improving. New meds and scans today. It was a small clot that got into the speech area of her brain. I've finally seen her today and DH says she's looking 100 times better. Spent a couple of hours with her and tidied the kitchen for her. We normally have Sunday dinner at hers and will do so tomorrow but we are cooking to give her a break. She's got to have another scan on her neck to ensure that there are no small clots floating around, this should happen tomorrow or Monday. Then provided the meds suit her all we will need to do is make sure she's kept an eye on and pampered as much as possible. My MIL is fantastic and it breaks my heart that this is happening to her. Hopefully under control now.

In other news, was a slow day on the market yesterday. Only just broke the 3 figure mark and the stall costs are quite high for this one so minimal profit had. BUT was cheeky and put 3 boxes of muffins on my FB page at a discounted rate and sold them today! One pleased bunny and profit on the stall up by another 10! Although I do like my own baking, was not sure I really wanted to eat 14 LO muffins...Glad I sold them. Good for the pocket and for the waistline! Two left for home munching is okay!

Waiting for confirmation of my stall for next week. Hope it will be a better one with lower costs and valentine gifts to sell.

Hope your weekends are going well; I hope to cat has up on some washing tomorrow and generally have a chill.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    So, is didn't feel like cooking last night and DH was all set to go out and get something we could just bung in the oven when I said I had some chicken in the fridge! We had marinated chicken and packet Mexican rice, simple, easy and just hit the spot and no extra money spent and no extra trip to the shop...

Slept a lot better last night but still feel a bit washed out today so far. Sitting here catching up with a cup of tea and a cat asleep beside me...oh and DH lol.

I think we will have some breakfast shortly and I've got a few chores to do. If the weather is okay, I hope we can go for that walk we missed last week. Then down to MILs to cook tea and then the week starts all over again.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 29,756 Posts
    • 171,585 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a classic idea to put the muffins on your fb page - its like that Eats app, that lets restaurants sell food at v reduced price at the end of the night? Good stuff on throwing together a meal quickly as well you have to do stuff like that rather than fall back on takeaway.

Hope your MiL continues to improve.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 8th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    MIL is continuing to improve. Really pleased about that.

Been mad busy the last few days with meetings, visits and prep for market on Saturday I pleased to report that I got everything done today that I wanted to. Couple of things to slice up and I'll be done for the evening.

Not much to report really, just checking in and hopeful of a good market at the weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 9th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Sneaky 25 win on the the Premium Bonds - 2 months running!

Supposed to be raining tomorrow and it's an unknown market I'm doing so a bit dubious as to quantities - going to stick to the plan I think and hope for the best.

Might be eating muffins and cheese scones for the rest of next week....

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy Friday everyone.

It's been a tough week this week with planning, taking my friend to her hospital appointment, visiting my other friend on bed rest, cleaning, loads of washing, shopping, baking etc...

Worst part was Wednesday though. Mum's cat died. My brother contacted me, he was very scared for the cat. She had been limping for a couple of weeks but we thought nothing of it really. We had to persuade Mum to let us take her to the vets. She was is a very bad way when I got there and we got her in the basket and into the car. The vets is only five minutes down the road, but the poor thing didn't make it - I was pretty sure she'd left us before we got out of the car, but we carried on for my brothers sake. She was indeed gone, and the vet was very kind...He said she had an inoperable tumour and there was nothing that could have been done...Most likely toxins had got into her body. We took her back to mum and then I had to take the cat back to put her in to be cremated and I said goodbye to her. Quite traumatic and very upsetting for all concerned. Not my favourite cat, but I will miss her all the same - I broke my heart when I got home. My brother and mum will miss her so much - they are such a part of the family. We have to take solice in the fact that she went relatively quickly. I am holding my own cat closer to me; so important to cherish every moment.

In other news, baking today as I have a market tomorrow. Got a lot done yesterday and trying to keep my mood light so my pastry isn't heavy!

About 4 hours work to do today - will be starting shortly.

I am sorry for the sombre post, but I felt I needed to let it out somewhere.

Hope to catch up over the weekend.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 16-02-2018 at 9:02 AM.
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 29,756 Posts
    • 171,585 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello MCI, I wrote a long post about your mum's cat and lost it, for once I didn't copy it, I was just thinking about your family and the cat - very sorry to hear your news, it sounds awful for you, for all of you.

And now you've got your work cut out with the baking and the market

Wishing you well - take care of yourself, even though you're busy.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC. I'm okay. ..just hoping my brother is - he's very sensitive when it comes to these things. Mum is more practical but I know she will be grieving in private.

I am lucky that I have my cat still - sitting on my lap as I type this. We are quite close.

Good day at market today. It's only a short one. Not much money to be made but I did surprisingly well considering the visitor numbers were down. Saw my friend too and we went for lunch after packing up - it's a real treat after baking and getting up early today.

Few things planned for next week, but for now I can relax a bit.

Going to catch up on some diaries later. Need to pop to see Mum and make tea of brisket chilli with jacket potatoes (using LO brisket I froze) - nice warming meal on a chilly day.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 10,552 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    So sad to read about your mums cat MCI, sending you all love x
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 3000.58/ 3000 100%
    June: 182.76 July: 356.59 Aug: 461.02

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 27th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KK...

Just popping in to say a quick Hi. Hope to update at the weekend. It's busy at the moment. Bit stressed due to current weather conditions and uncertainty regarding this week's market - but ticking along okay.

Hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 2nd Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Today's market was cancelled yesterday. I am relieved - it really is grim out there.

I hadn't made too much and so with a few sales to friends I will at least pay for my ingredients. At least I am warm inside today (so far, got to go out later - will be going on foot as I don't want to risk the car).

I was thinking about a homeless guy that always comes and has a chat while I'm on the market that would have been on today - I really hope he is somewhere warm and someone is looking after him today. He never asks for anything, just chats away - I think he is lonely as much as anything.

In other news. We are having some issues with the rent from the rental thus month (sudden repair bill!) DH has taken various points up with the people we lease it to as something really don't add up - but we have not received any rent for Feb and so will not be making our OP until the matter is settled. It's not that we don't expect repairs, but when you have a 900 bill drop on your doorstep for work that was carried out in August! And there are a number of discrepancies it can bring you down a lot and DH has struggled with the anxiety attached to this. Hoping he can get a meeting with them soon and we will get it all resolved and the OP done in due course. I am really glad that we are not relying on the money to pay this mortgage or we would be stuffed.

We have booked a few days away as we feel we need something to look forward to...4 nights in a self catering cottage on a farm half way between Whitby & Scarborough. It's 2 minutes from the sea and 10 minutes walk to the pub - not a lot else round there...but that sounds absolutely ideal. We are going the last week of June, so some time off yet, but really looking forward to it.

Meal plan for March completed and nothing is going to stop us going to the pub tonight for happy hour and our buy one get one free burgers...simple pleasures that we have been looking forward to for the last couple of weeks and we are not going to let a little matter of some snow stop us!

Still got stuff in the freezer, done another online shop and got it delivered for 1! And got the bulk of what we needed at Herr A all sewn up in one shop. Couple of yellow stickered purchases for Mr W and I think we pretty much have March sorted out.

Suppose I better get on and get something constructive done today. Packing shortbread, Chutney preparations and some chores on the agenda.

Happy Friday all.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 29,756 Posts
    • 171,585 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Glad to think of you at home today, and not out too much in the cold ... it really isn't pleasant out there, is it!

The cottage sounds good - I always think that the views round there are spectacular, and if its quiet as well - absolute heaven.
    Retired August 2016
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 3rd Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Sounds like a nice break you have booked, something to look forward to. Warm summer days seem almost unimaginable at the moment!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 3rd Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi everyone...I really have been AWOL for a while.

It's been a tough March and not such a good start to April. 2 markets cancelled because of snow...and bad weather generally keeping numbers to markets down and people not really buying. But hopefully on to better days when the weather starts to improve.

No news on the disagreement with the lease people about our rental, we haven't had any rent for 2 months now so no OPs!!! I am hoping that we might get some sort of repose soon so we can make an OP at the beginning of May - it's no fun when the figures art going down as fast as they have been.

I'm not earning a a lot at the moment but the meal plan is done for April and I did an online shop last week. Had a slight mishap with a couple of the drawers of the freezer where stuff had defrosted and I had to throw stuff away - it really made me angry and upset at the same time (I hate waste).

On the bright side I've got a very well booked few months ahead on the market front - some big ones too, so fingers crossed I can make up for the lower earnings in Feb/Mar.

I do hope that everyone is well. I hope to do some catching up at some point in the not too distant future.

MCI x
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    DH is still trying to make in roads into resolving the rental issues. Coming up to 3 months without rent. I am so glad that we arnt relying on this money to live; but it is highly annoying that there have been no OPs being done. We are still just above 90k.

Last weekend went fairly well on the market front and I'm looking forward to this weekend...first big special event of the season on Sunday along with a regular market on Saturday. Hoping to be in a position where I don't have to take any money out of the savings this month...but we will see.

Paperwork for the week completed yesterday and today it's back to prepping in the kitchen (trying to make my life slightly easier on baking days). Few errands to do first then going for it this afternoon.

Cat has settled herself on my lap. Going to give her 10 mins then I must get on.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 29,756 Posts
    • 171,585 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good to hear you're keeping going - must be so tough in the sort of weather we've had, when you're relying on people to come out. And I hope the rental sorts itself out soon too!

I have a slight case of cat-on-the-knee envy
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC I am glad to say that the weather forecast is a little better for the weekend - so keeping my fingers crossed.

DH was a little miffed last night as he still hasn't had a reply about the rental - he says that the way he feels at the moment it wouldn't really be a good idea to go and see then (he has to be careful as he works for them - local authority...). 5 hey could have at least returned his email or given him a quick call - it'd really bad customer service - if they are treating someone who works for them like this God only knows how they are treating the it other rental clients - very bad....I hope it gets sorted soon as I am sure it's not doing DHs head any good - he hasn't been sleeping very well. I can't get involved really as he wants to deal with it (and I don't want to undermine him either).

In other news, the prep is going ok for the weekend - getting ahead with making pastry and Brownies in advance (both keep really well). Be starting on the second lot of Brownies shortly - time for a cup of tea first.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Jun 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hello there....

A combination of no rent (so now OP) and being extremely busy, has meant I haven't had time (or energy) to come on here. I do hope you are all keeping well.

We have finally made another OP of 500. At the end of last month they refunded us most of the money we are owed. It's still a mess and so as not to stress DH out and so he can't be accused of conflict of interest, I am now taking over the managing of the the rental. I think it's best all round now. The paperwork provided is quite frankly rubbish - they really don't explain what charges they have deducted from your money...I will try my best to remedy this. I need it to be clear cut from a tax point of view - especially now I am self employed.

On the self employment front it's been very up and down...have been working incredibly hard and last month I earned a reasonable amount of money. But this month (even though there was a good start) hasn't been so good and so I am juggling finances and trying the make as much profit as possible.

Our holiday is just round the corner (we go on Monday) and I can not wait. (Money or no money!). Going shopping later for some goodies as we are going self catering and we have banked all our change for spends and have ourselves a tidy sum of 130...a bit more to come out of the joint savings to top it up and we are all set..........

I just need to get packed, housework done, finish a cake, shopping, deliver a cake, move plants, have a shower and cook tea today. Then I've got to bake tomorrow and Friday, market Saturday, visit a friend on Sunday and then DH and I have 5 whole days together.

I really hope everyone is well and I hope to catch up on a few diaries soon.

Going to update my signature now...we have 18 years and 4 months left on the mortgage according to the last letter; we would have been under 18 now if we hadn't had the trouble!!! But I have to take comfort in the fact that we have knocked 5 years off in 3 years and the momentum will start to build now as we make more OPs. I'll be doing another one next month and another August and then we should be up to date and back on track.

Must get on.

MCI

Officially under 90k!!!
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 20-06-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    OP's to Date 6000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,245Users online

Martin's Twitter