Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 25th Feb 11, 2:38 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:38 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:38 PM
    Well, We don't go to the pub on Fridays anymore, but that was easy and was because we didn't want to go anymore. That cost £12.80 we only had two drinks each.

I only buy about one magazine a year now, at full price, so expensive to be honest, I think more of my £3.80 now. Use Tesco vouchers instead.

We always used to buy Nescalf and Aerial, now use value brands there.
    • bananadog
    • By bananadog 25th Feb 11, 2:40 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    bananadog
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:40 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:40 PM
    I've just bought a clothes horse and timers for my plug in electric radiators for the bedrooms which has stopped me from over-using the tumble dryer and forgetting the radiators are on all the time...it has cut my electric usage in half over the last 4 weeks!!!
    I have also got rid of my car last week which has saved me about £60 already in petrol, insurance, tax etc...and the dogs are loving it cos they are getting loads more walks! lol
    Using my breadmaker for the last 2 weeks must have cut my bread bill in half to (minimum)
    Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 2:42 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:42 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:42 PM
    well i've had 3 kids in the last 5 years, so nights out ahve been cut way back lol

i use value brand tea bags now, and i cheaper brand coffee , i completely cut out fabric softener and colour catchers, and i stopped buying a bottle of wine for at home because i kept drinking one glass then leaving it in the fridge for 6 months, also i used to buy about £5 of mags a week now i troll random forums instead and i don't buy the paper anymore either i read mil on a sat
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • artichoke
    • By artichoke 25th Feb 11, 2:45 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    artichoke
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:45 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:45 PM
    hum - we used to buy pizza's and have takea-away curry's once a week...

but now we have HM pizza's and HM garlic bread and HM currys with lots of HM side dishes etc...

not sure how much it has saved - but we all prefer HM pizza now to shop bought... and i am getting really into experimenting with currys...

off to make a vegetable dansak for tea tomorrow..

art
    art
    • Mrs Veg Plot
    • By Mrs Veg Plot 25th Feb 11, 2:49 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 11,501 Thanks
    Mrs Veg Plot
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:49 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:49 PM
    We have cut back on going to the pub, takeaways and magazines. The fiorst two happen once in a blue moon and we just do not buy magazines anymore. I have also stopped driving to work as they put the fees up to £17 a month so a massive saving there. We buy own brand tea and coffee, cook from scratch and make our own bread. I have to say though that cooking from scratch and using own brands does not feel like we are missing out at all.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order .
  • mrswive
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:53 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 2:53 PM
    OH and I used to have a coffee and lunch if we were out for the day; now we go out for the day a lot less often and when we do we share a large mocha/latte or whatever we fancy. It's cheaper than buying two small ones and with a Caffe Nero loyalty card, every 10th one is free (btw it's worth checking the empty tables as people often leave a card with a few stamps on it behind - every little helps!)
    We either have some kind of picnic lunch or, if we're really splashing out - once in a blue moon - I print out a restaurant voucher for a 2 for 1. Last month we had a lovely day out in Winchester, a caramel latte with cream, and a nice lunch at ASK all for less than £15 including parking.
    I don't know how much this saves but a welcome side effect is that I enjoy these treats so much more these days as they are fewer and further between; if you're doing it every week it ceases to be a treat!
    • Desperate Housewife
    • By Desperate Housewife 25th Feb 11, 3:24 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Desperate Housewife
    • 25th Feb 11, 3:24 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 3:24 PM
    -wine
    -beer
    -magazines
    -take aways
    -got rid of my car (lost 2 stone in weight!)
    -premium brands (shop at lidl and buy whoopsies from co-op)
    - coffee in coffee shops

dont miss any of them, paid off the mortgage and saving up now, dont owe anyone a bean...and its a great feeling
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000.
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil.
  • mrswive
    • 25th Feb 11, 3:34 PM
    • 25th Feb 11, 3:34 PM
    Desperate Housewife - Well done! That's quite an achievement.
  • lucylucky
    We make a lot more of our own meals, can't remember the last time we bought a "ready meal" and very rarely have wasted food, that has probably been the biggest change.

I now drive more for work, so walk/public transport nearly everywhere else.

Stopped drinking alcohol, but still go out for meals a couple of times a month - nearly always on offers.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Feb 11, 3:43 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Less eating out, even in cheap cafes!
    My clothes are mainly second hand or gifts (although I can find second hand clothes that are nicer than some new ones!).
    I knit more practical things now, and only buy wool that is worth the price!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 25th Feb 11, 3:46 PM
    • 12,220 Posts
    • 235,237 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Haircuts.....
    .......used to have a nifty short style which needed cutting every 3-4 weeks and products to style it. Gradually grew my layers out with a series of intermediate styles until ended up with a long bob. Was able to reduce the frequency of haircuts, too.

It's now past shoulderlength and I'm making a relative trim it for free.......

Saving £10 a time.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 25th Feb 11, 3:46 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    p-pincher
    Takeaways-Now once in a blue moon instaed of once or twice a week(helps with slimming world as well)
    Magazines-Used to buy heat, reveal, company to name but a few, now i just sometimes buy the good food mag, Planning on doing the subscription for it with my clubcard vouchers.
    Coffee and sandwhiches on my lunch break- Saves me about £15 a week
    Clothes-Gotta love primani, only buy my beloved river island jeans when its a birthday or christmas pressie

I still like to but myself the odd treat now and then, i love a nice coffee in starbucks now and then or to treat myself or the kids to something new, i just dont do it all the time like i used to and i always try to get the best deal when ever i can.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 3:48 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    .......used to have a nifty short style which needed cutting every 3-4 weeks and products to style it. Gradually grew my layers out with a series of intermediate styles until ended up with a long bob. Was able to reduce the frequency of haircuts, too.

It's now past shoulderlength and I'm making a relative trim it for free.......

Saving £10 a time.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    it only cost you £10 to get your haircut? my last one was £21 and i think it's £26 now thats just a wash/cut/blowdry, i meantioned this to my mum and she said her last one (fancy salon) was £46
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • rosieben
    I gave up my car, most of my clothes is second hand and eating out has become a rare event; I've down-branded on most things and try to bake at home if I can

tbh the only thing I miss is the freedom that having a car gave me but I don't miss worrying about the cost of it
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 25th Feb 11, 3:53 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    Stopped having my hair coloured at the hairdressers and now do it at home; actually much better.
    Stopped buying Elnett hairspray and switched to Bristows; actually suits my hair much better; thanks to someone on this site, wish I'd know about it years ago!
    Now joined the Over 60's Cub at the local Hairdressers and save £8 (plus the cost of petrol) on my former hairdressers.
    Stopped the chocolate.
    Pretty much an old style person anyway, so there wasn't much room for manoeuvre!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 25th Feb 11, 3:55 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    magazines
    no takeaways
    meals out only for very special treats
    no shop bought bread or cakes
    no holiday
    Clothes, shoes, and household goods only replaced if absolutely necessary and go for second hand first.
    hand wash more, dry on the line and airers and avoid using the tumble dryer.
    Use a lot less meat in meals, stretch it out with veggies.
    Car is a neccessity because I am disabled but I have cut out a lot of trips that I would deem a day out.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 25th Feb 11, 3:58 PM
    • 12,220 Posts
    • 235,237 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    it only cost you £10 to get your haircut? my last one was £21 and i think it's £26 now thats just a wash/cut/blowdry, i meantioned this to my mum and she said her last one (fancy salon) was £46
    Originally posted by quintwins
    It's a City and Guilds training salon, walk up, no appointments, they do a lot of business. Quality can vary a bit but my hair is so thick that it doesn't really matter if the cut isn't fabulous. I once lost an Afro comb in it when I had a curly perm in the early 1980s (found it later that day). I used to coat my hair with lard and lay down on the river bank to have the rats chew the ends off but I used to get some funny looks IYKWIM.If anyone presented me with a bill for £46 they'd have to be calling the paramedics, that's damn near a week's rent money!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mrsb83
    No magazines / newspapers
    No tumble dryer
    Take aways far less often, and cheaper ones like Subway or fish n chips instead of Indian
    Only replacing the staples of my make up and cosmetics (using up what I have)
    Haircuts only for DH, I cut and colour my own
    Pub twice a month instead of twice a week

With all of this and better budgeting, we are around £300 a month better off.
    Total Debt Sept 2010 - £24,132.38 / Current - £0.00/ 100% paid

DFD - Aug 2014 24th Aug 2012

£10 a day // Jun - £64/£300 / Jul - £133/£310 / Aug - £281/£310
  • rachbc
    magazins - not just cos of the face value but also because they are basically there topersuade you you need the lipstick, that moisturiser etc to be happy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin