Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Feb 11, 10:06 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 41,517 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:06 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:06 PM
    I think it really depends on everyone's circumstances. We've paid off our debt so things are better for us now than they were a few months ago. We spend up to 200 pm on food (3 adults me, oh & 18 yo ds) i've noticed food prices really seem to have gone up since Jan & then I spend up to 250 pm on pocket money. When we were in debt it was a lot less. hth x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • lvm
    • By lvm 20th Feb 11, 10:15 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    lvm
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:15 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:15 PM
    As a single person living on my own I'm spending at most 50 a month for food (could probably do cheaper if I cooked from scratch but this is all frozen ready meals and I'm not eating anywhere near as much as I should be.)

Due to debt situation I'm pretty much not spending a penny on myself. No clothes/DVDs etc...if I'm persuaded to go out I make sure it's somewhere that has discounts either using Taste card or online vouchers.

Before I cared about my debt and once my debt is cleared and I've got a nice little emergency fund I will probably try cooking proper meals and spend about 75-100 on food (including eating out) and maybe 100 a month on clothes/random stuff I want.
    • d3mon4ngel
    • By d3mon4ngel 20th Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    d3mon4ngel
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    I would say I budget for about 175-200 for food, less if we can, for 2 adults. My "pocket money" is currently at 50 a month until I'm out of my overdraft, but I normally give myself 100. (OH has whatever is left after he has given me his share of the bills.)

HTH
    ::: Total Paid Since LBM (27/05/10): 4639.85 Official Debt Gone!! :::
    That money talks, I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
    ~ VSP2011: #104 ~
  • Lucy1010
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:27 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:27 PM
    This is really interesting..... hope to read a few more replies and then I will let you know how much I budget for and why it is never enough
    • nic_santorini
    • By nic_santorini 20th Feb 11, 10:35 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    nic_santorini
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:35 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:35 PM
    I budget 60 per week for two of us, thats all groceries, smellies, going out, the lot. Even managed to get a full tank of full out of my 240 which was 55, so impressed with myself. Going to have to be creative for lunches this week, as I have 1.25 in my purse and payday is not until Friday. I luckily have not got any debt but get a buzz out of penny pinching and not being ripped off and put any other money by for holidays and nice stuff. It is only my going out though, husband has his own beer tokens.
    • MasterPoo
    • By MasterPoo 20th Feb 11, 10:37 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    MasterPoo
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:37 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:37 PM
    I think it really depends on everyone's circumstances. We've paid off our debt so things are better for us now than they were a few months ago. We spend up to 200 pm on food (3 adults me, oh & 18 yo ds) i've noticed food prices really seem to have gone up since Jan & then I spend up to 250 pm on pocket money. When we were in debt it was a lot less. hth x
    Originally posted by determined new ms

200 on food for 3 adults??? I'm doing something wrong and after writting how much I do spend on food its actually insane. I'm a single mom with 2 boys (16 and 10) and I spend 400 pcm on groceries! I WANT TO REDUCE THIS!!
    • moz86
    • By moz86 20th Feb 11, 10:42 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    moz86
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:42 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:42 PM
    I am a single adult living alone. Once all rent and DD's are deducted, and my saving is done for the month, I give myself 150 per week for Food, fuel and treat spending.

Any of this that is left at the end of the week (Sometimes 0, but I've had 80 before) goes into a separate tin for holiday savings/one off treats etc.
    Working to make our future as secure and comfortable as possible.
  • Blobby8
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:43 PM
    • 20th Feb 11, 10:43 PM
    I budget 60 per week for two of us, thats all groceries, smellies, going out, the lot. Even managed to get a full tank of full out of my 240 which was 55, so impressed with myself. Going to have to be creative for lunches this week, as I have 1.25 in my purse and payday is not until Friday. I luckily have not got any debt but get a buzz out of penny pinching and not being ripped off and put any other money by for holidays and nice stuff. It is only my going out though, husband has his own beer tokens.
    Originally posted by nic_santorini
    Crikey I spend more than that on ale.
  • Lucy1010
    I am definitely doing something wrong...

I have recently split with my partner which is heartbreaking and I am managing on my own, no kids. My vice is cigarettes but I am so depressed that I need them, seriously... I can't give them up

I am budgeting 400 p/m for food and general. I cook my own food and take home cooked lunches to work.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Feb 11, 10:49 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 41,517 Thanks
    determined new ms
    200 on food for 3 adults??? I'm doing something wrong and after writting how much I do spend on food its actually insane. I'm a single mom with 2 boys (16 and 10) and I spend 400 pcm on groceries! I WANT TO REDUCE THIS!!
    Originally posted by MasterPoo
    ok suggestions are

1. shop at the discount shops - I shop at Lidl & Aldi (I used to have a Nettos in our town but it recently closed ) then do top up shopping at Asda - go at the times when they discount foods (there's a thread in the os board about this )

2. whenever I cook something "wet" curry/spag/chilli/sweet & sour etc I add red lentils & whatever veg is on offer to bulk it out

3. try to have 1 or 2 meat free days a week (spanish omlette or jacket pots & tuna/salad/baked beans & cheese )

4. work out which basic stuff is ok & use it - pasta/rice/some cleaning products/some biscuits/tinned toms again there is a whole thread on what basics are ok where

5. meal plan and work out weekly menu based on what you have

6. make your own cakes for snacks during the week while the oven is on cooking something else - cheap, cheerful and at no extra energy costs

7. spend some time on the os board really is fantastic

8. buy a slightly bigger chicken & roast and then make 1 or 2 additional meals out of the leftovers

9. invest in a slow cooker you can then get cheaper cuts of meat and slow cook - again some delish recipes on the os board

it took some time to get there, I have to do it on my own if my oh comes with me I'm bgugered! I also buy a sack of spuds from a farm for 3.50, store in the garage & that lasts 3 months & use star drops for cleaning. hths x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Feb 11, 10:54 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 41,517 Thanks
    determined new ms
    cool found this

http://www.supercook.com/

put in what ingredients you have and it'll give u a recipe
    DF as at 30/12/16
  • Lucy1010
    I am so resourceful when it comes to food as I am a good cook and tend to make big portions and freeze. I don't eat junk food, hardly go out and doing my damn hardest to clear my debts which aren't huge when I compare to others (6000). However I just don't understand why I struggle so much on 400 p/m for general spending.
    • backinbusiness
    • By backinbusiness 20th Feb 11, 11:15 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    backinbusiness
    Like Moz86 once my DD's and savings are accounted for, I budget 150/week (myself and 2 teenage daughters). This has to cover food, school dinner money, fuel, newspapers, day to day spends and treats.

My secret is to draw it in cash. I find parting with cold, hard cash painful! It becomes a bit of a challenge to see if there's any left over - if so - it goes to a surplus account for bigger treats. But; when it's gone - it's gone.

You may be struggling just now because of debt repayments - once these are gone will that free up a reasonable amount?

Are you actually doing an accurate budget or are your figures telling you lies?

Omitting bank charges, etc can skew things a little.

Good luck.

BiB
    DF
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Feb 11, 11:29 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 51,916 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I am so resourceful when it comes to food as I am a good cook and tend to make big portions and freeze. I don't eat junk food, hardly go out and doing my damn hardest to clear my debts which aren't huge when I compare to others (6000). However I just don't understand why I struggle so much on 400 p/m for general spending.
    Originally posted by Lucy1010
    If you aren't sure where your money is going, I highly recommend keeping a spending diary. Write down everything (no cheating ) that you spend each day and you'll probably be surprised where your money is going.

I take part in the NSD challenge (joined last Aug) because when I looked at my diary, it was the 1/2 purchases I kept making of things I 'needed' each lunchtime that really added up. So, by setting a target of NSD per month, I have to be more organised in when I spend, and therefore think more about what I'm buying.

We spend 150-200 between two adults per month on food (oh and one cat) This includes things like toilet roll, household cleaning items, laundry liquid and some of our toiletries too. I do cook some things from scratch, we take lunches to work and I do freeze portions too. I do buy some basics food, and some not (I always try to buy free range chicken/eggs, and outdoor bred/british meats) and I am sure if I really needed to I could trim this back further.

I budget about 210 for myself, this covers incidentals, things I buy for the house, toiletries not bought with the food shop, clothes and any other costs that come up (excluding debt repayment and petrol). It's amazing how something like a birthday, meal out or haircut can really eat into the budget but at least I know where my money goes now with my spending diary.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• dreamdreamer
    • By dreamdreamer 20th Feb 11, 11:33 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    dreamdreamer
    I factor in 400 for food and "spending money". It usually works out at about 240 for food and 160 on everything else.
    DEBT FREE 3rd Sept 2011
    (Debts at highest 15.8k Nov '08)
    Student Loan paid off July 2014
    First Direct Regular Saver #2: 2700 ** Santander 123: 13,106
    Car Insurance/Tax Fund: 305 ** Present Savings: 525 ** Disneyworld Fund 100

• Lucy1010
    [QUOTE=kerri gt;41377494]If you aren't sure where your money is going, I highly recommend keeping a spending diary. Write down everything (no cheating ) that you spend each day and you'll probably be surprised where your money is going.

I take part in the NSD challenge (joined last Aug)

Thank you, please can you show me how to join the NSD challenge, what is it? Thanks
  • Lucy1010
    [QUOTE=Lucy1010;41377660]
    If you aren't sure where your money is going, I highly recommend keeping a spending diary. Write down everything (no cheating ) that you spend each day and you'll probably be surprised where your money is going.

I take part in the NSD challenge (joined last Aug)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Thank you, please can you show me how to join the NSD challenge, what is it? Thanks
  • Lucy1010
    Just want to say thank you to all that have taken the time to help so far
    • 7roland8
    • By 7roland8 20th Feb 11, 11:42 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,832 Thanks
    7roland8
    Well after bills etc hubby and I (+3 stray cats) have about 70 which is for food, fuel (coal) and anything else like haircuts etc. No wonder I cna't get my credit cards down!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,725Posts Today

8,678Users online

Martin's Twitter