Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Feb 11, 6:23 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion
    • 17th Feb 11, 6:23 PM
    Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion 17th Feb 11 at 6:23 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the booklet

To discuss or ask a question just click 'reply'. Thanks!

(This thread was also used for discussing an early sneak peek of the guide, so some of the early notes include suggestions for that.)
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 23-02-2011 at 9:51 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 6
    • dipdab12
    • By dipdab12 27th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dipdab12
    dipdab12
    hi dave, thankyou for writting your experience,ive found that having automatic call recorder dosnt just help explain stuff to my support worker.it also covers the fact i dont lie.and ombudsmans do.it says in the goverment guidlines on dyslexia that it is advisable to tape,when you send them back their own voices lying on tape and contacting jeremy corben.who will try fob you off and say your not in there area.then argue it is not an individual complaint it is a nationwide concern.hannah whithead responded.attached her response where i also asked her to provide me in terms i understand the judicial process of taking the ombudsman to court.in 5, years of complaning to lgo ,who ignore any disabilitiy if they can.finally listened to 20% of my complaint and threatend the council with a summons.yes suprising what they do when you say your going to do them.also after 5,years they send an audio c.d.unfortunately for them my aspergers might not be able to write properly.But its high functioning.
    i have 300 of barclays for discrimination.and i will be asking for it again from yesterday.they never told me my replacement card was contacless.i didnt no what contactless meant.They also sent me a letter with figures and words i couldnt understand.when i phoned them on tape asked twice ,once to the manager,why have you not put me through to the accesability department that your sight says are there to support people with disabilities.i was ignored twice,when i asked a third time .they said it closed at 5.i said i started the call at3.50. i no because im taping and will be asking for call costs.i said what options of accesability do you offer to people with learing disabilities.i dont understand all of this letter.he said we can put it in large print.by this time i was getting mad .i said if i cant understand all the words .what difference does the size of the letters make.you no im going to my barclays tommorow.i will say loud.you have discriminated agin after compensating me last for the same thing.ask to speak to the manager.while i play the tape recordings stood there.as soon as they here barclays.the manager will usher me in the back and ill get sorted.if i dont i will stand in the bank playing the recordingstill my phone battery dies.
    hopes this helps as much as your comments

h
    The Mental Health and Debt guide is a worthy piece of work, but my experience with Barclaycard and the Financial Ombudsman was absolutely demoralising, and bears no relation to what is in the guide regarding lender and ombudsman's responsibilities to borrowers in difficulties.

6 months ago Barclaycard bullied me and harrassed me to the point I made a formal complaint to them about their conduct. I'd told them I had mental Health Problems and was living on benefits, at their request my GP wrote to them confirming their behaviour was having a seriously detrimental effect on my well-being (I was becoming suicidal).

Barclaycard wrote one of those phoney apologies (sorry you feel that way, not "Sorry for our conduct") and said "That is our final response." Nothing changed except I told them I would no longer accept telephone calls and they had to put every communication in writing.

When I rang the Financial Ombudsman about how to make a complaint about Barclaycard, I was made to feel like pond-life by a supercilious man who (in addition to lecturing me about bad credit references being important to most people) said they don't consider any complaint unless financial loss has been suffered.

I was so demoralised I just crawled back into my shell, made the payments I could afford (about half what Barclaycard would agree to on a formal basis) and have just been served with a default notice from Mercers Debt Collections Limited.

I have felt sick to my stomach for 6 days now, having nightmares and anxiety-themed dreams. I've been taking such a high dose of antidepressant for the last few months that I struggle to think clearly, and still am depressed.

What really upsets me is that Barclaycard bought my debt from Goldfish, with whom I had an affordable repayment plan. I swore I'd never do business with Barclaycard after they drove me to a suicide attempt in 1985 that I barely survived. They are aware of that.

They don't give a damn, and neither does the Financial Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by scrimperdave
    • missunlucky1
    • By missunlucky1 15th Sep 18, 4:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    missunlucky1
    thanks
    i suffer with PTSD. and sarcoidosis that affects nervous system. i used to be cabim crew and get no support despite living on my own 38 years old
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,102Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin