Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    djbum_syd
    Feeding a family of just 2 on very limited budgets
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:28 PM
    Feeding a family of just 2 on very limited budgets 16th Feb 11 at 9:28 PM
    Hi all,

I've been posting on another page tonight, and was recommended to come and talk to you friendly lot for some advice.

Little family of just me and my 18 month old daughter.
    Currently suffering a lot of money worries, and struggling a lot with general living (food, leccie/gas, etc.)

Main question I wanted to ask was... What (very!) cheap recipes could anybody please recommend to me to cook for me and my daughter.
    She is SO fussy, it is unreal. Wont eat vegetables 99% of the time - occasionally can get a bit of stew down her throat but other than that, it's nadda. If she had her way it would be chicken nuggets every day.
    What does one feed a child that she wont spit in your face?!

Currently cupboard stock is pasta and jar of pasta sauce, plus a couple of pieces of frozen chicken. That's dinner tomorrow night sorted, but after that.... what can I do? Lol.

On Friday I will have about £20 to spend on food for a week. £30 at a big push.
    Sounds so measly, I hope I can get some deals for that! Lol.

Ok, I have rambled on enough.
    Any help at all that anybody could offer on any way to save money and get the most out of what I do have would be SO appreciated.
    Thank you.

Lucy x

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 22-02-2011 at 6:34 PM.
Page 1
  • ab7167
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:36 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:36 PM
    http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planners.html

Here you go - some good ideas in this one :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • djbum_syd
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:41 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:41 PM
    Thank you.

Saved to favourites on my internet home page. Lol.
  • djbum_syd
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:47 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:47 PM
    I actually cannot believe some of the recipes on this site - the fact that they are so cheap! It's brilliant. Lol.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Feb 11, 9:48 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,894 Thanks
    villagelife
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:48 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:48 PM
    Pasta and sauce is cheap and you can often hide veg in it.
    Also hm pizza is often poular.
  • djbum_syd
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:51 PM
    I have tried hiding veg in her pasta, and she wont have it. Far too clever! :-/
    She loves cheesy pizza, so that is another good meal - is it easy to make dough for the pizza? I've never tried. Lol.
  • jackieglasgow
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:53 PM
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:53 PM
    Soup and bread will be your friend. Cheap, filling and full of nutrients, Have you nothing else in your cupboards? Even if you think there's nothing worth mentioning, list EVERYTHING you have and we will be able to help. Does your daughter get fed at creche? Do you need some sort of portable lunch? Can you get to Aldi and Lidl, what supermarket is easiest and cheapest for you to get to?
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 16th Feb 11, 9:55 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    suzybloo
    • 16th Feb 11, 9:55 PM
    The best thing to do when you are on a tight budget is to meal plan then check whats in your cupboard and see what you have to buy to get you through the week. This way there is no waste and you can double up meals : eg Roast chicken - have it as a roast dinner one night, and then use the remainder for various things like a chicken and veg pie. You can then boil up the carcass to make stock for soup. So for approx £4 you can have 2 dinners, sandwich/wrap fillings, soup and possibly much more. A pound of mince at approx £3.50 (for good quality steak mince from a butcher)could give you a cottage pie, a third of the mince eeked out with vegetables likeonions, carrots and turnip and mashed potatoes on top, the next third make spag bol again using grated carrot, tomato, onion and a handful of mince and the last third you could make meatballs to serve with spaghetti. Breakfasts could be porridge/toast/boiled egg etc and to flavour the porridge stew whatever fruit you have lying in the fruit bowl, lunch could be homemade soups and sandwich/wrap and evening meals from some of the ideas above. Remember to pop little bits in the freezer if there is anything left as it always comes in handy for lunches for the little one, and if you can bulk cook and freeze portions for you both. It takes a little planning to start with but with practice you will get there!
    Good luck
    Every days a School day!
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 16th Feb 11, 9:55 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    have you tried blending veg up in the pasta sauce. i made spag bol once and blended the bol sauce up (as i fill mine with veg) and the kids all wanted to try mine even though they could see the veg and refused to eat it the previous week!!!

i make pizza dough. mix 1 mug of water with 1 tablespoon oil or marg. i also stick some herbs in. then 3 mugs of flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast. all in breadmaker or in mixer with dough hooks and it makes enough to freeze some so you could make a batch of pizzas and freeze some for other nights.
  • lovethymini
    My 3yr old's the same.

You could blitz the pasta sauce with a stick blender to get rid of the bits
    How about some little jacket potatoes?
    Egg and Soldiers is a cheap lunch and might work
    Bananas?

• djbum_syd
    Ok, in my cupboard I currently have....

a box of cuppa-soups
    tea bags
    1 and half small bag of pasta
    Tomato ketchup
    Jelly
    half bag of rice
    small amount of flour
    tin of chopped tomatoes
    bread (used for daughter's breakfast)

In the fridge is
    Milk
    Yoghurts (daughter's puddings)

Freezer...
    Couple of chicken breasts
    Frozen korma sauce (daughter hated that)

Luckily she is fed a lunch at crèche. She doesn't tend to eat much, but it's something in her belly.
    I am near a Lidl, Sainsburys and Tesco. And Asda is a 10 minute bus trip away. I found I can sometimes get more for my money if I buy Asda own brand items.

I do like the thought of having a meal plan. I tried once before and ended up spending more than normal - so I obviously went wrong somewhere! Lol.

OH, just found healthy start vouchers in my purse! That'll buy some bananas and apples tomorrow.
    Last edited by djbum_syd; 16-02-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added some extra info.
  • djbum_syd
    lovethymini - I gave her a jacket potatoe a couple of weeks ago and you should have seen the look of horror on her face, it was priceless! Lol.
    She LOVES banana's though, it's one thing I always try to keep around as she would eat them all day.
  • ab7167
    Planning planning and planning. And bulk cooking and freezing so you have some 'ready meals' when you are knackered so you don't spend money on convenience (need to pracitce what I preach on that one...)

Can you get your daughter to cook with you? Mine loves this and does eat better when she has helped prepare it. She is now 3 and can crack eggs, knows what goes into a basic sponge and can peel a carrot with a vegetable peeler. Very slowly, but it keeps her occupied :-)

Do you have a garden at all? Is planting things a possibility? I find salad leaves an excellent grow your own, as those bags of mixed salad leaves are SO expensive and SO easy to grown yourself!
    -----------------------------------------------
    The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • djbum_syd
    I was thinking about getting little one involved in cooking. She always stands in the kitchen and watches me whilst I cook.
    I bought a fairy cake mix on Monday (before all the money woes surfaced), so I was thinking of attempting that with her tomorrow and see how she gets on with icing/decorating, etc.
    My back garden is completely slabbed, but if I can afford it I'm hoping to get some grow bags to put veggies in.
  • Mrs Jojo
    I used to blend everything when DD was tiny - literally juice all the veggies and add the juice and pulp together and heat it up for soup! Also, I used to rename things. DD hated mushrooms, but she used to love champignons (french for mushies!) don't ask me why, but it worked a treat!

Also, do you eat with her? Sometimes it can help to see someone else eat what you are eating - must be nice if everyone else likes it!
  • djbum_syd
    Yeh, I like to sit us both at the table to eat our dinner. Want to get her in that habit for as she grows older.

I used to blend everything for her, but lately she has been refusing even the blended foods. I know it's most likely a faze, but it's getting really frustrating. She goes through phases, one week will eat great, the next week will scream blue murder if something green even looks at her. Strange little creatures these children! Lol.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 16th Feb 11, 10:42 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    HI - told you they were helpful and friendly down here!
    okay - so daughter is a bit fussy - so was my son and you wouldnt believe what I used to hide in his mash! or blend into the gravy!
    cauli is VERY successfully hidden in mash - one moneysaving tip is that when caulis are expensive for fresh, like now (over a pound for a cauli no bigger than an orange?????????) buy frozen!
    many kids love orange veg! my grandkids love sweet potato - but cant actually tell it from swede! much cheaper!
    sweetcorn is often popular with the younger kids - buy tinned or frozen rather than cobs - by the time the cobs get to the store they often have less nutritional value than the frozen or tinned (and less taste) and you get more for your money!
    you know she is going through phases so try to vary meals from week to week - serving up things in different ways! so she didnt like tomatoes this week? she might like them made into soup next week!
    keeps life interesting for you - and challenges you too!
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 16th Feb 11, 10:57 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    me again. just thought of what i used to do to get my daughter to eat. once i made a shark out of mashed potato (with cauli and cabbage hidden in it), sausages and peas. she ate it. put smiley faces on pizza out of veg, i even blended carrot into the tomato sauce on pizza a few times. no one noticed (not even hubby).
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 16th Feb 11, 11:09 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    meant to say - even two year olds can 'help' with cooking! they like to stir, so let them stir some ingredients (even if they dont need stirring). they can use their baby cutlery knife to cut up very soft ingredients! and if they help to cook a meal - they are often more inclined to eat it!
    as for your store cupboard - slim pickings there! do you have any condiments you havent mentioned? ketchup, brown sauce? worcester sauce? pepper? spices ? herbs? any fresh veg? (not just bananas please - onion? garlic? potatoes?).
    what flavour cuppa soups?
    do you have any butter or soft marge?
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 17th Feb 11, 1:16 AM
    • 25,138 Posts
    • 101,241 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    You can get grow bags or compost quite often from pound shops - they also seem to do a good range in fruit and veg. OK, not exactly instant, but worthwhile. And a box of whitworths dried peas (about 40p) gives you posh pea shoots, peas growing outside for summer and something fascinating for kids (who are more likely to eat them in the end). You can grow tomatoes from the seeds in the ones you eat. Stick them in a bean can on the windowsill next to the posh peashoots. Same with lettuces, get salad leaves or cut n come again seeds, sow some every couple of weeks and you have a constant supply. If you have potatoes that have gone bright green, then you have lost nothing by shoving them in a sack or pot 4 inches from the base, then topping the bag up with soil each time the leaves stick out from the surface (yes, proper seed potatoes are better, but if it's going to be wasted, anyway....). and carrots - something like an olive oil tin, pop them in and leave them (no poking at them), sow in batches again.

And they are educational activities, too!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

10,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin