Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thisuseridistakenagain
    • By thisuseridistakenagain 12th Nov 06, 11:46 PM
    • 726Posts
    • 1,696Thanks
    thisuseridistakenagain
    Sugar soap!!! just discovered how fab it is!
    • 12th Nov 06, 11:46 PM
    Sugar soap!!! just discovered how fab it is! 12th Nov 06 at 11:46 PM
    Sugar soap which you can get from any decorating shop or hardware store,
    (although i cant say i've seen it in wilkinsons) usually used for washing down walls before papering.

Anyway, I had half a box left after papering (cost about a pound for a big box) I was looking for what to do with it. Its actually really good at removing paint splashes from doors etc, we had gloss paint splodges on our wooden doors and it came off just with a rub and a cloth. Saved buying paint and the time to paint all the doors. really worked a treat.

Can also be used for cleaning sinks etc, and as its sugary in texture does a good scouring job. I put it down the loo and got rid of limescale overnight too.

Quite impressed with it!! Thought id share my findings, hope im in the right place.

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 09-06-2015 at 4:25 PM.
Page 5
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 4th Jan 15, 8:54 AM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    go for it
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ľ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you canít go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • missprice
    • By missprice 3rd Jun 15, 3:13 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 107,507 Thanks
    missprice
    I know old thread and all, but having stripped a room of wallpaper, I find that either the paste and/or paint is still stuck to the wall. ( I suspect the walls never sized properly) have spent a veeeery long time now trying to remove the paste and flecks of paint come off too. did maybe 3 square ft in 3hours and think there must be a better way
    Will this stuff take off the paste and any loose paint?
    Can it still be found in wilkinsons/pound shops?
    Cheers for any replies to this terribly old thread.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 !!!128549;
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 4th Jun 15, 3:01 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    Back in 2006 sugar soap was mostly made with loads of trisodium phosphate in it, which although bad for the environment was very good for cleaning. Modern stuff always seems to be something else. However, you can still buy trisodium phosphate from chemical suppliers on amazon and ebay. I occasionally still use it for specific tasks, but as it turns out, a solution of soda crystals in hot water worked great last time I had to clean up a wall before painting again.
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 6th Jun 15, 2:47 PM
    • 21,244 Posts
    • 23,784 Thanks
    dogcat
    Just found out that Poundland sells it....im off to get some!
    • ktj
    • By ktj 11th Jun 15, 7:23 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    ktj
    Hi, Just wanted to ask if Sugar Soap can be used to clean the inside of ovens? Also is it effective at cleaning the finger marks from the outside of stainless steel kitchen appliances? Thanks kje.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 11th Jun 15, 11:00 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,759 Thanks
    juliettet
    Not sure re ovens but the best thing for stainless steel is barkeepers friend.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 9,050 Posts
    • 21,848 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    This forum discussion's getting a lot of traffic from Google at the moment so just giving it a bump up!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 71,080 Thanks
    Judi
    Hi, Just wanted to ask if Sugar Soap can be used to clean the inside of ovens? Also is it effective at cleaning the finger marks from the outside of stainless steel kitchen appliances? Thanks kje.
    Originally posted by ktj
    Yes its good for ovens. Not baked on stuff but more like a good maintenance product. I use it on mine. I also used it on my old stainless steel kettle and it didn't cause any damage to the finish.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,443Posts Today

8,856Users online

Martin's Twitter