Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Feb 11, 4:50 PM
    • 8,404Posts
    • 29,530Thanks
    Primrose
    Stop watching those TV ads and gain an hour a week !
    • 4th Feb 11, 4:50 PM
    Stop watching those TV ads and gain an hour a week ! 4th Feb 11 at 4:50 PM
    Triggered by another thread where somebody was bewailing the pressure on their time, I was reflecting how much dead time per week many of us unconsciously waste when the TV adverts come on.

How about helping ourselves to be better organised and sharing all those small household tasks we could get on top of during those short breaks which might help us feel we're more organised?

Some of mine:

1. Doing a few 'keep fit' exercises.
    2. Emptying the laundry basket and throwing it into the washing
    machine.
    3. Dusting a couple of furniture items near the TV.
    4. Cleaning out the gunge from the bottom of the toothbrush mug !
    (might need a whole TV programme if I've left it for a while !)
    5. Sloshing some disinfectant down the sink or the loo.
    6. Putting some items outside into one of the Recycling Boxes
    7. Emptying the kitchen compost crock onto the compost heap.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 15-02-2011 at 3:30 PM.
Page 1
    • ragz
    • By ragz 4th Feb 11, 4:57 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 4th Feb 11, 4:57 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 4:57 PM
    What a fab idea! I am still on analog TV channels (no pausing live tv here!) so I could definitely use something to do in the ad breaks (especially to distract from the food ones that make me hungry!). I don't as a rule do housework in the evenings as that's my time off but a few minutes wouldn't hurt!

Could set yourself little challenges to see how many things you can pick up off the floor during the break.
    Find school uniforms for the next day.
    Prep nappies for the next day (if using washables)
    Wipe dining table.
    Fluff cushions...
    Last edited by ragz; 04-02-2011 at 5:00 PM.
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • kitschy
    • 4th Feb 11, 4:59 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 4:59 PM
    Primrose, I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this!

I challenge myself to do things in the space of a break, like cleaning the sinks, wiping the worktops, and other small cleaning jobs like taking things from the wrong room to the right room.

And if I'm feeling motivated, sit-ups!

It's amazing how much you can get done, and it's much easier to do things in short little bursts as it doesn't seem like as much of a chore. I also work full time, and have another job a few nights a week, and this really works for me.
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
  • Sambucus Nigra
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:01 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:01 PM
    How about stop watching TV altogether [or just watch specific programmes that you REALLY REALLY want to watch] - it gives you a new lease of life.
  • Sublime
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:02 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:02 PM
    How about giving up MSE. I find a few hours less can help me get a whole lot done.
  • kymbogs
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:25 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 5:25 PM
    How about stop watching TV altogether [or just watch specific programmes that you REALLY REALLY want to watch] - it gives you a new lease of life.
    Originally posted by Sambucus Nigra
    Totally agree! We very rarely have the tv on unless it is to watch something specific, which is usually on catch-up or dvd so no ads.
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
    • salster
    • By salster 4th Feb 11, 6:28 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    salster
    • 4th Feb 11, 6:28 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 6:28 PM
    I've trying to do bits in the adverts for the last few years. It's amazing what you can get done
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013
  • jcr16
    • 4th Feb 11, 6:31 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 6:31 PM
    i generally giv emyself a task in the advert's, i'll unload dishwasher, refill it, make lunc boxes, hoover, take bins out, wash and dry hair then can straighteb while watching, etc etc.

but one thing i do like doing is when the prog starts i hit the pause button on sky , and spend 15 mins say doing quick little job's. so when i dod sit down i can just wizz past the advert's.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • valk_scot
    • 4th Feb 11, 7:02 PM
    • 4th Feb 11, 7:02 PM
    I only watch DVDs or things that I really want to watch. I don't just sit down and watch an evening of telly irrespective of what's on. If I am watching telly I usually knit or do mending at the same time as I simply can't sit with empty hands. Advert breaks? I either put the kettle on or check my email I'm afraid. The dust can wait another year.
    Val.
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 4th Feb 11, 7:03 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    We very rarely watch TV and when we do we hardly ever watch when it's on - usually recorded or we have seasons of specific things on DVD. A lot of mine and OH's colleagues find it odd that we have time to do so many things but that is the reason!

My mum watches a lot of TV - going to suggest the ad break challenge to her - she has been ill and shouldn't do much at once so probably a good thing for her to try!
  • adelight
    Definitely! I don't watch much tv and only on iplayer/4od but while stuff is loading/titles/adverts I wash up or do a quick tidy I just can't stand sitting there!
    Living cheap in central London
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 4th Feb 11, 7:39 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    i mostly seem to watch dvds or stuff i have recorded and skip the adverts, but will try to do things in the adverts if i can. I try to have everything done by the time the kids are in bed so i can watch tv/read/study in peace lol
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 4th Feb 11, 9:16 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    I record everything I like and watch it when I want (like at the weekend while knitting) and forward through the commercials!

If it's live I pause the commercials... do what I want for 10 minutes (like housework) and then I have enough recorded to just forward the commercials. I've not watched commercials in years!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: 5400 - Interest Saved: 11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • emg
    • By emg 4th Feb 11, 9:23 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 4,513 Thanks
    emg
    I dream of having sky plus or something where I can pause or fast forward my tv but, as someone who does most of her housework in the ad breaks, I think my house would go to rack and ruin!

Here's my ideas to add to the list;

clear out of date food from fridge
    pair up socks from the lost sock pile
    give all the door handles a quick wipe
    clean out the lint filter on your dryer
    clear all the empty/abandoned bottles in the bathroom
    'rationalise' the magazine rack
    file/chuck away the post
    Give the skirting boards a quick wipe
    feather dust the cobwebs

I hate housework but my mantra is 'you can do anything for 3 minutes'!
  • LJM
    i detest adverts i tend to just not watch i record so i can skim through
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Feb 11, 1:06 AM
    • 16,408 Posts
    • 140,265 Thanks
    JackieO
    Excellent idea ,only trouble is I tend to watch stuff on catch-up so the adverts are eliminated I don't watch a lot of commercial t.v. anyway, but I have noticed that the Beeb seem to be sneaking adverts in for their programmes which almost take the same amount of time as the 'proper' ones IYKWIM.My t.v. goes on around 6.00p.m.for the news mainly then I 'pick & mix' what I watch after that.I am a great history nut so I do watch quite a bit on the History channel and love documentaries. I enjoy Holby City but mainly because the actor who plays 'Joseph' is such a hunk.I never saw a dishy doctor in all the time I was in and out of hospital,mind you i don't think I would have taken much notice of them anyway when I was poorly
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 16th Feb 11, 12:39 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Great idea Primrose! Thank you (and other posters) for sharing your ideas. I hadn't seen this thread till I saw Martin's email and looked for the OS Thread of the Week.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 DFW Nerd #1185
  • exup
    some of the adverts are better than the shows - especially as I work half-nights so TV would normally be lobotomy inducing Daytime Telly . Its suprising how much you can get done while the adverts aren't on
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 16th Feb 11, 10:06 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Totally agree! We very rarely have the tv on unless it is to watch something specific, which is usually on catch-up or dvd so no ads.
    Originally posted by kymbogs
    We haven't owned a tv for over 10 years and don't miss it - if we had one we would never get anything done.
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 16th Feb 11, 10:46 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    It's amazing how many ad breaks they seem to cram in these days - getting up each time to do something more useful might also contribute to the level of exercise too! Having said that, if there's a programme we really want to see we tend to record/watch on catch-up, just so as we can whizz through those annoying ads.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter