Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    RachelS
    80s party OS food/clothing ideas
    • 2nd Feb 11, 8:30 PM
    80s party OS food/clothing ideas 2nd Feb 11 at 8:30 PM
    Thought this might be a fun one and help me out!
    This Saturday I am going to my friend's 30th birthday house party. We were born in 1981 so she has an 80s theme, we all have to dress up and bring an 80s dish suitable for a buffet, as well as any old 80s toys.

I have almost no time left and no money so was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some OS food and a costume (I am sorted for toys as I have my old Rainbow Brite and Sunshine Bear to take for a last hurrah before I eBay them).

I was thinking of a red jelly rabbit on green mashed up jelly grass...but there are some drawbacks...not long to find a mould, not very tasty for a bunch of 30 year olds and, the worst, what if that wasn't something 80s but was just my mum .

Any tips very gratefully received!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 08-02-2011 at 4:56 PM.
Page 1
  • seafarers_wife
    • 2nd Feb 11, 8:52 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 8:52 PM
    what about vol au vonts, i always remember my mum making a big deal out of them at parties she had, and prawn cocktails, other than that ive no idea
  • Beatrix Kiddo
    • 2nd Feb 11, 8:59 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 8:59 PM
    I reckon for food you could get Arctic Roll or Vienetta cheap at a discount freezer shop - they're very 80s.

Or party food like sausages on sticks, cheese / pineapple on sticks etc?

Costume is easy - backcomb your hair and wear loud clothes! Think Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Bananarama etc. Or some Dexy's Midnight Runners dungarees. Or nasty padded shoulder outfit. Legwarmers?

Personally I'd go Madonna and Arctic Roll. Don't forget the Babycham!
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
  • snowy134
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:00 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:00 PM
    I don't think it was just your mum - I definitely remember the rabbit jelly thing. Also - we used to have birthday cakes where the top half was a doll and then the cake made a big skirt!

Fashion wise - I remember wearing lots of bright accessories - and odd florescent socks (nice!!)
  • Vaila
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:19 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:19 PM
    Here is an earlier thread about it
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=8952951
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 2nd Feb 11, 9:49 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:49 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:49 PM
    If you do the jelly why not keep the 80s loo but make them vodka jellies
  • ChocClare
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:53 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:53 PM
    Fashion wise - I remember wearing lots of bright accessories - and odd florescent socks (nice!!)
    Originally posted by snowy134
    Now the odd fluorescent socks I DO remember
    BIG hair
    BIG shoulders
    Horrid rara skirts were in at one time I recall.

However, for easy peasy, you want black leggings, bright socks, stilettos and an oversized jumper. HEAVY eye make up, HUGE hair and shoulder pads plus lots of beads and BIG earrings . Or google Desperately Seeking Susan in images - it was released in 1985 but the posters for it give a really good flavour for the eighties "look".

In 1981 I was at college, listening to Madness, Spandau Ballet etc. Thanks for reminding me how OLD I am! MY DH said to me the other day, you never wear leg warmers any more: I used to like you in those. Er, yes, that's because they were fashionable 30 years ago, dear... (maybe they'll make a comeback in time to keep my ageing ankles warm, LOL).

Foodwise, the food suggested seems more 70s to me. The 1980s was the era of the dinner party, I seem to recall - everyone giving hugely pretentious dinner parties with twee little finishing touches you wouldn't bother with now - but that was probably the late 80s to be fair. If you're aiming at 1981 then the little buffet things which were so popular in the seventies - slices of celery with cream cheese and paprika; dates stuffed with...er...more cream cheese; ritz crackers (which someone gave me the other day and I've discovered I LOVE ); cocktail sausages; bacon rolls; cheese cubes on cocktail sticks with either pineapple or baby onions - were still hugely popular.

Have fun! I loved the 80s even if they were about conspicuous consumerism. Probably because of that And because my hair looked fantastic!!!
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 2nd Feb 11, 9:54 PM
    • 7,539 Posts
    • 13,947 Thanks
    leveller2911
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:54 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 9:54 PM
    I use to love "chocolate lovelly" tub ice cream and space dust .........
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 2nd Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    • 2nd Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    Originally posted by arran m
    Inspired!!! I am going to have to organise an 80's party this summer Can't wait now!
  • RachelS
    Thanks so much for all your ideas! I am sorted! Definitely going to do the vodka jelly rabbit and some little bits like the celery and dates and maybe some vol-au-vents. Ah, better not get carried away!

Think I'll go for the Desperately Seeking Susan look...I can pull it together mostly with stuff I already have, and I'll have a bit of a rekkie round the charity shops on Saturday morning.

Thanks guys, you are all stars!
  • heretolearn
    80s party food, well we were teens/early 20s so if it's that sort of party you want to recreate rather than a proper grown-ups dinner party menu, we used to put out

cheese and pineapple on sticks stuck in half a grapefruit
    sausages on sticks
    sandwiches - cheese, ham
    crisps -bog standard, not nachos or fancy ones, your walkers salt and vinegar types with no dips!
    peanuts
    vol-au-vents - egg mayo filling, tuna mayo filling,
    rice salad (cooked rice and veg mixed with mayo)
    gala pie (that big pork pie with egg in middle) cut into finger size lumps
    quiche - was seen as a bit glam believe it or not
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: 2565.

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Zooxanthelle
    Word of warning about a vodka jelly rabbit.. once me and my friend found a rabbit mould in the back of his mom's cupboard so we decided to make said vodka jelly.
    The rabbit came out rather collapsed and sad. But it was quite funny.

80's party sounds like such fun! I want to come!!
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 3rd Feb 11, 7:51 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    vodka jelly better in shot glasses really, alcohol makes it a very soft set. Have fun!
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 3rd Feb 11, 8:00 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    may I suggest that on your Ritz crackers you spread cream cheese and top with a slice of cucumber or a slice of tomato? and for a bit of variety you could just snip some chives over the cream cheese. I can remember doing a birthday party for my daughter in the late eighties and she had three different kinds of pizza, some of the ritz thingies, sausage rolls, cheese stix and bowls of different kinds of crisps, mini cheddars, nuts and twiglets.
    sweet stuff was I believe cheesecake and a sara lee gatuau (gatow? gataua? how do you spell it?), along with some of those pink and white wafers.
    But, she was only 12 or 13 at time - it was her first grown up party (all girls and NO alcohol) and the rest of the family were all banished for a couple of hours!
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 3rd Feb 11, 9:21 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    vodka jelly better in shot glasses really, alcohol makes it a very soft set. Have fun!
    Originally posted by Seakay

You do have to get the set right, but it stands up fine if you do get the right proportions. I make vodka jelly in a loaf tin every Christmas/NY to turn out.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Feb 11, 8:28 AM
    • 12,219 Posts
    • 235,224 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    1980s? Noooooooooooo
    Gordon Bennett, my youth is now far enough in the past to be the subject of retro-themed parties..........?! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You could channel some of the popstars of the era; go new romantic-piratical (frilly shirt, waistcoat, tight trousers, high boots.) Back-comb long hair into a high-pompadour at front/ ponytail at back. Ra-ra shirts over black leggins under legwarmers (mismatched colours). Batwinged tops with slit necks sliding off one shoulder..... Fingerless gloves, lacy or otherwise....Armfuls of chunky bracelets. Underwear as outewear... Makeup was v .v. heavy on the stripy blusher and bold lippy; google for Bananarama. Look at Madonna and Rosanna Arquette in Desperately Seeking Susan. The fellers wore even more. Can't recall too much about the food as was a starving student in bedsit-land living on baked beans but we were tragic enough to consider Viennetta to be a sophisticated dessert. I have vague recollections of it being very "permed" in the early eighties. I have personally wiped my memory, rounded up most of the photos and murdered eyewitnesses. I give hourly thanks we didn't have FB etc back then so that our naffness wasn't posted for all to see....

You have a ball, you young person, you!
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 04-02-2011 at 8:55 AM. Reason: More ideas!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• sandiesparkles
    i love arctic roll 1.99 from coop. but i would also recommend crispy pancakes. i liked cheese the best, you can chop them in half and have them as finger food.

have fun..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,512Posts Today

7,951Users online

Martin's Twitter