Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pudding06
    • By pudding06 10th Nov 06, 1:55 PM
    • 616Posts
    • 514Thanks
    pudding06
    I'm proper o/s now!!!
    • 10th Nov 06, 1:55 PM
    I'm proper o/s now!!! 10th Nov 06 at 1:55 PM
    Just felt the need to share.

Last night got unexpected guests for dinner, made us rather a large bunch. - 6 adults in all - all with huge appetites.

I only had leftovers and some basic veg so I made

goulash with gnocchi

I had about a 1/4 of a brisket joint I'd cooked in red wine and herbs
    a thick slice of ham from a ham joint, (unfortuantely thats the last bit)
    celery, carrot, onion, garlic, herbs, paprika, tinned tomatoes, crushed chilli flakes,
    dollop of red wine (from cheap wine box brought form hols)
    some peppers i found in the fridge - used 1/2 red 1 green and 1 yellow ( took skins off)
    plus as it wasnt really enough I added 6 gluten free sausages halved

and cooked them all together with olive oil

I cooked gnocchi from the cupboard for 5 and made gluten free gnocchi for 1.

In the past I'd have called for a takeaway curry to get out of the situation costing somewhere in the region of £50 ish ( conservative estimate!!!)

only real costing ingredient was the sausages at £1.42!!!!!!
    I was going to use them for another meal but I did have t use them. I would have used some canned beans instead but we've had them 2 nights running and I dont want to bore them.)

I did cook the other 2 sausages for another meal for my coeliac son.

I feel so proud of myself, plus everyone really enjoyed it - the complements were fantastic.

pudds

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 14-11-2006 at 7:32 PM.
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
Page 1
  • TNG
    • 10th Nov 06, 1:58 PM
    • 10th Nov 06, 1:58 PM
    Fantastic!!

Well done you.

Great feeling isn't it?
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
    • ellas9602
    • By ellas9602 10th Nov 06, 2:08 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    ellas9602
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:08 PM
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:08 PM
    Well done! It is a great feeling to be resourceful. Lat night after dinner we had nothing for pud and everyone was moaning, in the past I would have gone and bought some cream buns or chocolate but last night I baked bananas with sultanas honey and lemon juice and served with a stray pot of banofee yoghurt. I know that proud feeling!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 10th Nov 06, 2:11 PM
    • 36,857 Posts
    • 474,348 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:11 PM
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:11 PM
    I'd have gone for the take away option!! so well done you!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 £51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • dronid
    • By dronid 10th Nov 06, 2:29 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:29 PM
    Congratulations!
    • 10th Nov 06, 2:29 PM
    It is one of the greatest O/S skills to be able to look at cupboard contents and go 'Oh we'll have <insert appropriate meal here>. It means you can be inventive and flexible. If you can do it there, you can do it in other aspects of your life. Vinegar makes great fabric conditioner but I know plenty of people who would be horrified at trying it as it doesn’t say ‘Fabric Conditioner’ on the bottle!:rolleyes: My DH is quite O/S and environmental - but only since I've known him. When I first met him he'd drop litter and wouldn't care,:rolleyes: now he stops others! (I'm very proud!) However his blind spot is cooking. He can cook anything from a recipe but that's it. Once he gave up cooking a meal because we had garlic puree and the recipe called for crushed garlic cloves!:rolleyes:

Never stop being inventive!

Congratulations again!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt £7000 - loan. And a £4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
    • Aril
    • By Aril 10th Nov 06, 4:50 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    • 10th Nov 06, 4:50 PM
    • 10th Nov 06, 4:50 PM
    Inspiring!!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • whosforachat
    • By whosforachat 15th Nov 06, 7:31 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    whosforachat
    • 15th Nov 06, 7:31 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 7:31 AM
    What's O/S?
    • jan59
    • By jan59 15th Nov 06, 7:34 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    jan59
    • 15th Nov 06, 7:34 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 7:34 AM
    What's O/S?
    by whosforachat
    Old Style - like our mums used to do........!
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
  • vivw
    • 15th Nov 06, 9:06 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 9:06 AM
    I'm really impressed. I have now realised that I need to be more inventive and think about what I'm cooking.
    Last edited by vivw; 15-11-2006 at 10:34 PM.
  • falc
    more frugal recipes please!
    on this theme, does anyone have any suggestions for delicious, nutritious, easy, frugal recipes? Delia has a lovely dhal curry recipe using lentils for a Cafod fundraising thing.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/dhal-curry,787,RC.html

and obviously there's baked sweet potatoes with butter, broccoli and houmous, which this household always falls back on. yummy!
    --

the best things in life are usually free.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 15th Nov 06, 10:02 AM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    Give yourself a pat on the back.

I was pleased with myself this week too, I did a stew and my stews don't seem to mix up, which worked out fine as OH dosn't like it too soft.

So I kept the left over veggies for the next day and turned them into soup. I only had a rough idea of what I was doing, having only made one from a recipe before but peeps on here say, chuck in whatever you've got and wizz. It worked
    • elona
    • By elona 15th Nov 06, 11:44 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    Since I got a slow cooker - I am a fan of the "just chuck everything in" method and it works out surprisingly well.
    It is a great feeling when Dds look in the fridge and say "there is nothing to eat!" then half an hour later I produce a pasta dish, omelette etc out of the "nothing!"

Well done in resisting the takeaway or even just "popping to the shops".
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 15th Nov 06, 2:08 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Well done! Now you know you have cracked it.

I now use my slow cooker (6.5 MR) to cook in bulk, 2 portions for us to eat right away and another 4 for the freezer, got a large amount of curry on the go right now. It is not much more effort to peel and chop a bit more veg etc., and will save loads of pennies on takeaways.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    • JillD
    • By JillD 15th Nov 06, 3:30 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    well done pudds!
    And it all sounds yummy!
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• Feebee
    Falc asked about frugal recipes - wasnt there a thread somewhere on the site not too long ago where you plugged in what ingredients you had avaialble and recipe suggestions came up ? Or did I dream it ? Anything is possible in my confused state
  • karmix
    One of my favourite frugal recipes is:
    A 2 pack of part baked baguettes (Aldi do these for around 40p per pack!)
    Slice them each into 2, lengthways, spread on some red pesto (Again, aldi do an excellent pesto) either as it is, or mix with a little tomato puree to spread further.
    Top with cheese, add any other ingredients you fancy. We use onion, peppers, olives......whatever takes our fancy.
    Pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes, its divine. Kids love it too.
    Put it this way, Greggs the bakers charges 85p for one slice when the whole family can have a snack for less than that!
    • fieryvelvet2000
    • By fieryvelvet2000 15th Nov 06, 9:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fieryvelvet2000
    frugal recipes site
    This might help. http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Since I got a slow cooker - I am a fan of the "just chuck everything in" method and it works out surprisingly well.
    by elona
    I was talking to one of my mates about food as she'd taken a load of problem youths out on a yatch for a week and had to buy all the provisions and cook meals for them. She said she got them all helping and made HM burgers and apple pies ect... Apparently the kids were completely bowled over and couldn't believe that someone could actually make a burger from scratch and have it turn out nice.

Her comment to them was that, if you have a bunch of nice fresh ingredients and a bit of common sense, then whats the worst that can happen? Anything you make is bound to taste good.

I dont know about her problem teens, but that comment really made an impression on me.
  • falc
    Was talking with a Slovakian friend, and she advises firmly refusing to buy anything until everything in the cupboard has been used up! I imagine that in Slovakia they know about frugality.
    --

the best things in life are usually free.
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 31st Jan 07, 12:39 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    That sounds great - well done you

I'm afraid that i don't get much more adventurous than Spag Bol or Chilli con Carne when cooking for large amounts of people! I always have a huge batch of one of them made up in the freezer for just such an occasion

Kate xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,098Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin