Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 7th Nov 06, 9:46 AM
    • 24,745Posts
    • 39,940Thanks
    lynzpower
    Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat
    • 7th Nov 06, 9:46 AM
    Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat 7th Nov 06 at 9:46 AM
    Hiyer
    got a small jar of mincemeat ( sweet!) left over from making some mince pies.

What exciting thing can i do with it?
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
Page 1
  • katieowl
    • 7th Nov 06, 9:48 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 9:48 AM
    Stuff it in baked apples

Regards

Kate
  • maow425
    • 7th Nov 06, 9:51 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 9:51 AM
    Mincemeat Muffins

12oz self raising flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    9 tbsp sunflower oil
    12 fl oz water
    6oz caster sugar
    5oz mincemeat
    1 tbsp demerara sugar
    Pinch cinnamon

Sieve flour and baking powder, add caster sugar and mix well. Add the oil and water and whisk quickly, stir in the mincemeat. Put into cases (about 12). Mix together demerara and cinnamon, sprinkle over, cook at 190C/375F/gas5 for 15-20 mins.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 7th Nov 06, 10:05 AM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:05 AM
    hmmmmmmmm mincemeat muffins it is

Cheers
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • Bambam
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:18 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:18 AM
    Heat the mincemeat up and pour over vanilla ice-cream.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    • melt71
    • By melt71 7th Nov 06, 10:27 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:27 AM
    :confused: and what exactly is wrong with making more mince pies (and sending them to me! ) I dunno, some people are soooo selfish

I think the muffins sound a good idea, different to the usual mince pies anyway.
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 7th Nov 06, 10:28 AM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:28 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:28 AM
    i cant make pastry
    This Ive come to know...
    • melt71
    • By melt71 7th Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    melt71
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    i cant make pastry
    by lynzpower
    Ok then, you're forgiven. Just make the muffins and post to me asap! lol

Have fun making them, they sound delicious!
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • tootles
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:57 AM
    • 7th Nov 06, 10:57 AM
    Bake a pastry case blind, put the mincemeat in the bottom, 2 eggs whites, 4 ozs castor sugar teasp of cornflour, whizz up the eggs whites, pour in the sugar and cornflour and whizz again until glossy, pour over the mincemeat and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave overnight, in the morning you should have a scrummy mincemeat meringue pie. (this only works of you have an electric oven) if you have a gas oven take it out after the hour and leave to cool, the meringue will not be quite so crispy............but then some people prefer it that way.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far 14.00!!
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 7th Nov 06, 12:12 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    erm
    might go n buy more mincemeat LOL tootles that sounds YUM!!
    This Ive come to know...
    • Aril
    • By Aril 7th Nov 06, 12:17 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    Do a dry run for me of my Chrimble Crumble that I'm road testing this Xmas and tell me whether it's any good....only kidding but worth a try!!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
  • Queenie
    Mincemeat Pancakes (stuff hot pancakes, dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream)

Mincemeat Bread and Butter pudding

Mincemeat Poor Knights Fritters (make mincemeat sandwiches and fry in a little butter until golden on each side and serve with cream/custard/ice creaam)

Crumble Slices
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crumble Slices (microwave & oven)
    6oz butter/marg
    6oz dark soft brown sugar
    60z porridge oats
    7oz plain flour
    pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    4oz jam/mincemeat/lemon curd/marmalade

Lightly grease an 8" square baking dish (I use my ceramic "Lasagne" dish as it's microwave safe)
    Cream the fat and sugar together.
    Stir in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    Press half of the mixture into the baking dish.
    Melt the jam/mincemeat/lemon curd/marmalade in the microwave for 30 secs and then spread the jam over the base.
    Crumble on the remaining oat mixture, pressing it down lightly.
    Bake in the microwave for 7 minutes (full power) or oven bake for approx 20 mins @ 375F/Gas 4

Cut into squares and cool in the baking dish.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Freezable
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • super41
    I sometimes mix mincemeat into apple when making apple crumble - makes a bit of a change and is tasty. I wonder what it would be liked mixed into bread & butter pud before baking? Just seen Queenie has suggested this so it must work!
    • gooismeid
    • By gooismeid 7th Nov 06, 2:03 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    gooismeid
    The sainted Nigel Slater is where I got this idea from: Get a croissant, split it in half and spread it open, spoon a big dollop of mincemeat on one side, bung it under the grill for a couple of minutes until thoroughly hot and crispy, sandwich it back together with a dollop of creme fraiche or thick cream. Eat. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat up to 6 times. Honest.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • Queenie
    .... Eat. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat up to 6 times. Honest.
    by gooismeid

I won't for get to type those *very* important words at the end of the instructions when I copy this to my recipe program *whistle*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • GeDink
    Mincemeat Sponge Puddings

125g / 4oz butter (room temperature)
    125g / 4oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    125g / 4oz self-raising flour
    1tsp baking powder
    finely grated zest of 1 orange
    6tbsp mincemeat (add splash brandy to loosen if it's too thick to fold into mixture )

6 lightly greased & sugared dariole moulds or ramekins

1 - Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180 C (170 C in a fan oven). In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients EXCEPT mincemeat until well combined.
    2 - Gently fold through mincemeat, then divide between dariole moulds or ramekins. Sit on baking sheet & cook for about 20 - 25 mins till cooked through. Carefully loosen edges, then turn out & serve with creme fraiche or custard.

Recipe shamelessly stolen from Decembers issue of Prima, they've really got some fab ideas & recipes in it! Hope this one helps
    • Robothell
    • By Robothell 19th Jan 07, 8:08 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Robothell
    I don't have any mincemeat left but, is anyone else out there considering going and buying it off the reduced shelf in the supermarket and trying out those muffins? Or is it just me.....
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Jan 07, 8:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Actually mince meat stores well. The stuff in a local Morrisons was dated into 2008.

It gets better as it matures. So buy now for next Christmas. He sez
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • jellyang
    ohh they sound so yummmy will have to buy more mincemeat now.

Saw huge jar in Sainburys yesterday for 59p but decided I was fed up with mince pies!
    • Topher
    • By Topher 20th Jan 07, 10:29 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Topher
    Pastry base, (crushed shortbread biscuits with melted butter if you can't do pastry)
    Apple sauce layer, mincemet layer, crumble topping.
    Serve with custard / cream

Tomorrow, diet

T
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,913Posts Today

8,501Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin