Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • RedBalloon
    • By RedBalloon 2nd Feb 11, 1:15 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    RedBalloon
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:15 PM
    FREE Ways to say 'I Love You' - Valentines Ideas
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:15 PM
    I thought it would be nice to start a new thread on completely FREE ways to show how much you love that special someone.

It's not supposed to sound cheapskate - but some of the loveliest ways to show someone don't actually cost a penny!

Please share ideas or perhaps things someone has done for you which meant a lot.

Maybe, burning a special CD, going on a little walk and leaving notes in the trees for them to see - that sort of thing.......

"Buy me, Lady", said the frock, "and I will make you into a BEAUTIFUL & WHOLE & COMPLETE human being".
    "Do not be silly", said the Man, "for a frock alone cannot do that".
    "True", said the Lady, "I will have the shoes and the bag as well".
  • FleaFlyFloFlum
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:25 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:25 PM
    last year I wrote my partner a list of all the little things that I loved about him...only cost me about 20p to buy a nice piece of paper wrapped up with ribbon...so almost free.

Bit cheesy I know, but it is Valentines Day after all
    • Silk
    • By Silk 2nd Feb 11, 1:26 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    Silk
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:26 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:26 PM
    Good Idea,
    On Valentines day I usualy make an effort to put the toilet seat down after I've been to the bathroom .....it shows I'm thinking about her

Sometimes I even offer to help with the washing up after dinner ....so it shows it's nice to do things "together"
    It's not just about the money
  • FleaFlyFloFlum
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:30 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:30 PM
    lmao Silk, love it!
    • RedBalloon
    • By RedBalloon 2nd Feb 11, 1:51 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    RedBalloon
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:51 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:51 PM
    Lovely idea FleeFlyFloFlum.....
    I'd like to do something about the first dates I remember we had - try to capture them in some way, but I've not thought how yet!
    "Buy me, Lady", said the frock, "and I will make you into a BEAUTIFUL & WHOLE & COMPLETE human being".
    "Do not be silly", said the Man, "for a frock alone cannot do that".
    "True", said the Lady, "I will have the shoes and the bag as well".
    • indelacio
    • By indelacio 2nd Feb 11, 1:56 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    indelacio
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:56 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:56 PM
    This one may take some practice... but open your mouth give it a little stretch, breath in deeply then say in an open and honest meaningful way "I love you" probably costs about 7 calories to perform, or over 22 to perform well.
    • Queenriderbrekke
    • By Queenriderbrekke 2nd Feb 11, 1:58 PM
    • 5,402 Posts
    • 51,123 Thanks
    Queenriderbrekke
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:58 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 1:58 PM
    Book free cinema tickets off the free cinema ticket thread and give them to her on valentines day?
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 138

2012 3147.74 2013 1437.532014 2356.52
    • isualive
    • By isualive 2nd Feb 11, 2:56 PM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    isualive
    • 2nd Feb 11, 2:56 PM
    • 2nd Feb 11, 2:56 PM
    I used the paper from a white note block & on each piece I wrote different memories from our time together. Some were happy, some funny, some damn right rude! I also wrote reasons why I loved my husband etc etc. These were written on red paper, I then folded all of the notes into triangles, & put them into a huge glass jar. I then finished it off with a piece of red ribbon.

I told him it was full of 9 years of happiness. He loved it.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 11-02-2011 at 1:39 PM.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
    • indelacio
    • By indelacio 2nd Feb 11, 3:08 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    indelacio
    I used the paper from a white note block & on each piece I wrote different memories from our time together. Some were happy, some funny, some damn right rude! I also wrote reasons why I loved my husband etc etc. These were written on red paper, I then folded all of the notes into triangles, & put them into a huge glass jar. I then finished it off with a piece of red ribbon.

Originally posted by isualive
    You could do another similar thing not just with memories tho, but with "favours" you would do, they dont have to be sexual they could be things like breakfast in bed, neck rub, 20 minutes footy lol, you get the picture, fun little things and however many you want him to pick out and he could write some for you to pick from too.
  • Habibiboo
    How about a handmade note book of nice paper, or even one of those quite nice hardback notebooks you can get in a 1 shop - you can recover it to personalise it a bit. In the giving, explain that the idea is that you then spend time together writing in things that you want to do together - silly, romantic, sexy, any and all types of thing! Himself and I spent a happy evening with a bottle initially writing down things we wanted to do together and then we go back and put the dates in when we've done them. This way it lasts way beyond Valentine's and gives a 'together' connection to many things: sometimes when we're out we'll see something that gives us an idea to add in -ours is known as the 'purple book' and it's a feature of any real together time that we manage to grab!
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage 149,000117,750;112,500 MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: 109 K April GOAL 2: 103 K by Sept GOAL 3: < 100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
    • clairet1961
    • By clairet1961 2nd Feb 11, 4:40 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    clairet1961
    A couple of years ago i cut loads of paper into heart shapes then on each one wrote something soppy like 'i love you because...' and put them all over the house, he was finding them for weeks!! I did it with red paper so it wasn't free, but very cheap to buy the paper!
  • evespikey
    before they wake up in the morning (or do it for them to find when they come home) write little messages about what you like about your partner on post-it-notes and stick them around places they will look- on the mirror, in the kitchen drawer, on the fridge, (even on the tv!) :P
    edit: whoops, sorry, very similar to the last post but still a good idea!
    Wins: my987wardrobe dress, Look show tickets! Seamus Heaney poetry collection, 9bar sample pack, palmolive large bottle, La Dolche Vita show tickets, Dorset cereals, 2xTim Minchin tickets, etsy necklace
    • Queenriderbrekke
    • By Queenriderbrekke 2nd Feb 11, 5:35 PM
    • 5,402 Posts
    • 51,123 Thanks
    Queenriderbrekke
    A monatge of pictures downloaded to her computer to use in my pictures as a screensaver? Would have to be done night before to keep secret?

• Queenriderbrekke
    • By Queenriderbrekke 2nd Feb 11, 8:34 PM
    • 5,402 Posts
    • 51,123 Thanks
    Queenriderbrekke
    If you haven't already done it a free graze box with his/her favourite nibbles? (Need a card and you have to make sure you cancel after your 1st box!)

• jaygray
    • By jaygray 3rd Feb 11, 1:58 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    jaygray

There are some really nice ideas on this thread, but I especially love this one. My husband would definitely appreciate something like this - it's his birthday soon, so I think I'll save it for then, as it's such a special idea. Thanks, isualive!

In the past I have made Valentines and birthday cards by folding a piece of card, sticking a lovely picture on the front, and writing something loving inside. It doesn't break the bank, and is always appreciated.
    A million thanks to everyone who posts
    • gemnjam
    • By gemnjam 3rd Feb 11, 2:47 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    gemnjam

Thanks for this - i think it sounds great but will save it for our 1st anniversary as thats represented by paper so should make a fab gift
    "You've got to cut your cloth to suit your wassname" Terry (my Dad), 1944-present
    • groovygav
    • By groovygav 8th Feb 11, 11:09 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    groovygav
    I've often heard it said that words are cheap, and they certainly are on this occasion. Just open your mouth and let them out!
    • Mike J
    • By Mike J 9th Feb 11, 12:10 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    Mike J
    Buy her a bottle of a certain brand of shampoo and when she asks you "what do you call this?", just tell her...."Because thats what you're worth"
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 9th Feb 11, 9:27 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    If you want actual ideas as opposed to just smart comments, then several shopping centres are asking people to send in Valentine's messages to be displayed on the plasma screens for free (although you do have the factor that your message is displayed for all and sundry in a public place!).

British Heart Foundation are also offering a similar thing in their shops where you can write a love note and then post it in the window. It does cost 1 so not totally free but the gesture is still there and you're helping raise money for the charity.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin