Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Buying unmortgageable property?
    • #1
    • 15th Jan 11, 7:37 PM
    Buying unmortgageable property? 15th Jan 11 at 7:37 PM
    Hi all,

    I'm flathunting in Scotland at the moment and saw a property yesterday which I love - ideal area and size, needs a lot of work but has the potential to be a really amazing property. I'm lucky enough to be a cash buyer and the flat is a repossession; I've been told by the estate agent that I'd probably get it for 25-30,000 under the valuation, which would free up about 30,000 to put into doing it up. Even factoring in the amount of money and work I'd have to put in, it'd still be a massive bargain.

    The problem: it's cash buyers only because the property has been deemed unmortgageable. This isn't a problem for me in the immediate, and if I do buy the place I'd be planning to stay there reasonably long-term (10 years plus), but obviously things change, you never know what's going to happen and I wouldn't want to end up in a position where, say, five years down the line I'm having to sell it at a massive loss because no one can get a mortgage for it.

    I've seen the home report, which flags up a number of problems, most of which were evident on viewing the property (mainly damp-related), but nothing that's a deal-breaker for me. The home report does mention the infamous Japanese knotweet to the rear of the property, which I suspect may be the reason why the place has been deemed unmortgageable, as I can't see anything else on the report major enough to warrant it (to put it in context, I viewed another place today that had rain pouring into it through a hole in the roof and that was still perfectly mortgageable!). Having a bit of a google, there seem to be companies that can deal with the knotweed (although I understand that it's a long and arduous process) and if I bought the property I'd be happy to cough up to get that sorted ASAP.

    So, I have a few questions:

    - would the knotweed alone be sufficient for the property to be deemed unmortgageable, or is there likely to be Something More Sinister?
    - if a property is deemed unmortgageable, who makes this decision, and what is it based on? Are there likely to be other documents (in addition to the home report) on which the decision would have been based, which I should request to see?
    - if you buy a property that's been deemed unmortgageable, does that make it difficult/impossible to get buildings insurance?
    - if a property is unmortgageable, does whomever makes this decision (a bank? a group of banks?) have to give a specific reason why they've deemed the property unmortgageable? What I'm trying to get at is, if I buy this place, am I going to be able to find out the exact reason why it was deemed unmortgageable and, if I fix the problem(s), is there a reasonable likelihood that the property will be considered mortgageable again when/if I decide to sell?

    Would appreciate any advice on this sort of thing. I will get on the phone to the estate agent, the council and try and find a lawyer first thing Monday, but it'd be good to have a better idea before then if possible!

    Thanks all.
Page 1
    • <sebb>
    • By <sebb> 15th Jan 11, 8:25 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Jan 11, 8:25 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Jan 11, 8:25 PM
    This article suggests that the presence of Japanese Knotweed is sufficient to deem to the property unmortgagable.

    All of the main banks contacted by The Sunday Telegraph, including Santander, Lloyds Banking Group, and Barclays, said they would now turn down mortgage applications if Japanese knotweed is deemed to threaten a property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,884Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin