Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 1:29 PM
    • 571Posts
    • 232Thanks
    catieeb06
    Temporary Car Insurance for an under 25.
    • 15th Jan 11, 1:29 PM
    Temporary Car Insurance for an under 25. 15th Jan 11 at 1:29 PM
    Hi,

I need car insurance on a car whilst mine is being put back on the road.

The mechanic can't put mine through an MOT till Thursday and to be totally frank I am sick and tired of getting up for work 2 hours early and still being late because my bus doesn't ever turn up on time and makes me late for work. 3 times this week!!

I've had a look online but no one ever wants to insure anyone under 25 on a temporary basis. I only want it for a week!!

Help?!

Thanks
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Page 1
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 15th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    • 15th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    Cheaper to bear with it for a few more days and save the money or get a taxi in the mornings to stop you being late. Temporary cover (if you can get it) will be hugely expensive.
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 3:15 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:15 PM
    Yeah, I was thinking a taxi, just wanted to be a bit independent rather than using unreliable public transport.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 15th Jan 11, 3:33 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:33 PM
    If you get an Hpi check done on the car for 20, you get 2 weeks free insurance. I did this when I bought my car, I was 18 at the time. BUT I'm not sure if you have to be the RK. Worth a try though...
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 15th Jan 11, 3:35 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    citykid5
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:35 PM
    a handy tip would be to do a hpi check on the car thast you'r thinking of borrowing costs 19.99 and you will get a free seven day drive away insurance through aviva.you must be over 21 to qualifie,and get a anual insurance quote for the borrowed car.then after the seven days simply dont take up the anual quote
    ck
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 3:43 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:43 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:43 PM
    HPI check... I'm gonna go google that!!

Thanks!!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 15th Jan 11, 3:45 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:45 PM
    http://www.hpicheck.com/driveaway.html

Looks like they've changed it a bit since I did it a year ago because, as I said, they did it for me at 18.
    • book12
    • By book12 15th Jan 11, 3:52 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    book12
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:52 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 3:52 PM
    Try this website for temporary car insurance: https://www.shortterminsurance.co.uk/yourdetails.aspx

Moneysupermarket.com recommends it.
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 5:04 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    • 15th Jan 11, 5:04 PM
    • 15th Jan 11, 5:04 PM
    Ah, see it's saying when I go on to purchase the vehicle. I'm not planning on purchasing it. It's a means to an end whilst mine is in the garage.

Although technically you send the log book off to the DVLA which will take some time.

I don't know?!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 15th Jan 11, 5:35 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    archersluck
    I used eCar insurance for a month last year, I'm 21. Cost 90 for a month and I got 10 back from quidco.

Saving for a deposit: 11,621.15
    20/25lbs
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 5:54 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    I had a look at eCar. They don't seem to want to offer insurance to anyone under 25. Do you have a link?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 15th Jan 11, 7:56 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    archersluck
    Ahh just checked and I actually took out a month by month policy, then cancelled after one month with them rather than a short term policy.
    http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/payasyougo.php Might be a bit longer than you wanted though

20/25lbs
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 8:03 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    Yeah the month by month policy- they wanted to charge me 400 :|
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 15th Jan 11, 8:08 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    archersluck
    That's crazy! Sorry I couldn't help

20/25lbs
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 15th Jan 11, 8:22 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    No problem. I'm just waiting to see if people can help me on the other suggestion.

Cos obviously i'm not buying that car, i'm simply borrowing it from my father and need insurance for a week.

Does it matter that i'm not purchasing it?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 16th Jan 11, 8:12 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    Why can't your father add you to the current policy for a few days and you pay the extra premium?
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 16th Jan 11, 9:52 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    It's an idea but he gets 3 months a year where he can do that and he's used all those when my little brother came home from uni in the summer.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 16th Jan 11, 10:56 AM
    • 802 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    citykid5
    No problem. I'm just waiting to see if people can help me on the other suggestion.

Cos obviously i'm not buying that car, i'm simply borrowing it from my father and need insurance for a week.

Does it matter that i'm not purchasing it?
    Originally posted by catieeb06
    shouldn't make any difference realy therotaticly you dad could sell you the car for a pound if the worst was to happen and you needed to make a claim?
    • catieeb06
    • By catieeb06 16th Jan 11, 12:25 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    catieeb06
    It's not the accident I'm worried about. It's in case the police try and pull me and it ends up that cos I'm not the registered keeper or there has been no log book done that I'm not insured by proxy.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 16th Jan 11, 1:23 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    You've now only got 4 days to go until your car is MOT'd - use taxis until then - much cheaper and less hassle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,608Posts Today

8,100Users online

Martin's Twitter