Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • herbiesjp
    • 12th Jan 11, 3:34 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 3:34 PM
    The crucial thing is both.

You need to be able to verify an income to support a mortgage of £70k i.e. accounts/self assessments.

And this mortgage then needs to be affordable to you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • steveM1978
    • By steveM1978 12th Jan 11, 3:37 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    steveM1978
    • 12th Jan 11, 3:37 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 3:37 PM
    Hi Mate,

You should have no problems buying this much money on a property you own. Do you live at the property or is it rented out?

I believe this to be called re-mortgaging. Is that correct?

I am self-employed. The house is worth around £400k, and the amount I want to borrow is £70K. Up to 25% you should get some good deals

Would I still need to show my existing income from my self-employment in any application? you will need to proove you can repay the money, if self employed then you will need to show accounts usually for two years.

Or is the crucial thing whether I can can repay the £70k over the lifetime of the mortgage?

Woolwich are offering a good deal at the moment called The great escape, it is a lifetime tracker, no tie in £35 set up fees. not to sure if it is available for a new mortgage but it should be.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Jan 11, 4:43 PM
    • 63,217 Posts
    • 56,090 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:43 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:43 PM
    Do you have other debts? If the loan is seem as a way of repaying these then the application may well be declined.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
  • window cleaner
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:54 PM
    Do you have other debts? If the loan is seen as a way of repaying these then the application may well be declined.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    No, the loan would be to buy a business or should I say the goodwill of the business, the leasehold, a few bits of kit and stock.

The 'trouble' or difficulty I see, and this probably is not rare, is that my income now may or may not support the application for the £70K but the income/profit from the business should. At least in theory it looks like it will, going by what I know of it already.

But if the application for a re-mortgage can only be based on current earnings, then this might make the project a little harder to get off the ground.

I'm loathe to carry out a full-on business loan, as I believe it would only cover part of the costs of buying the business, unlike the re-mortgage which would cover the cost.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Jan 11, 4:59 PM
    • 63,217 Posts
    • 56,090 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:59 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 4:59 PM
    You will need to disclose the purpose of the equity release.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
  • window cleaner
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:02 PM
    I asked about 'equity release' when I went to the bank today for an informal talk. They seemed to think that a re-mortgage was not the same as equity release. Can someone clarify please?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Jan 11, 5:30 PM
    • 63,217 Posts
    • 56,090 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:30 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:30 PM
    Technically there's no difference. Though in terminology terms for loan products there is.

Equity is defined as the difference between the market value of a property and any charges against it.
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 12th Jan 11, 5:42 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 11, 5:42 PM
    No, the loan would be to buy a business or should I say the goodwill of the business, the leasehold, a few bits of kit and stock.

The 'trouble' or difficulty I see, and this probably is not rare, is that my income now may or may not support the application for the £70K but the income/profit from the business should. At least in theory it looks like it will, going by what I know of it already.

But if the application for a re-mortgage can only be based on current earnings, then this might make the project a little harder to get off the ground.

I'm loathe to carry out a full-on business loan, as I believe it would only cover part of the costs of buying the business, unlike the re-mortgage which would cover the cost.
    Originally posted by window cleaner
    It would be a pity to get declined for this on current income when there is good potential to make money. Assuming you are looking at branching into buying and selling WFP/general cleaning kit, a lot of the banks don't seem to realise that this is still a growth sector as more and more companies change their working methods to ensure they are complying with H & S.
    Unfortunately, as soon as you say the word "business" at the moment, a lot of the banks impose much tougher conditions if they even loan at all. However, if you are putting your house up for grabs, I imagine someone might lend if there is a current equity of £330k.
    If push came to shove, would there be any chance of downsizing and starting up with the change. Yes I know that's a lot of hassle but if you aren't overly attached to your house it may be a possibility depending on circumstances. It would also assume you can find a buyer in a tough market.
  • newyear2011
    It is classed capital raising on mortgage free property. If you have no current mortgage at all and you or your solicitor have the title deeds. It will be classed just like a purchase where you will need to instruct a valuation (and pay for) and also solicitors fees, Although you will get Purchase/homemover rates which are normally cheaper than remortgage rates.
    Many lenders will lend for business purposes as long as your current income is suitable for lending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,884Posts Today

5,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin