Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 12th Jan 11, 8:14 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:14 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:14 AM
    Then don't pay 10 a month, you can say no.
    Just phone Sky and either get it replaced for free or 65 the ONLY initial source of new boxes is Sky so might as well go direct, or take a gamble on an eBay 2nd hand box or get yours fixed using the sticky post at the top of the forum.
  • coffeeandfags
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:18 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:18 AM
    We managed to get a replacement Sky+ box from Sky just recently.
    The multi-room box upstairs just refused to work, but luckily the contractors had one on their van
    Secondhand obviously, but it was free so im not complaining
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 12th Jan 11, 8:20 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:20 AM
    Phoning to cancel because the box has stopped working and you "can't afford to buy a new one at the moment" frequently gets a new HD box for no charge. You have to go through to the cancellations department though, not ordinary customer services.

The other alternative is ebay - I got a perfect Sky+ box for 8.50 a couple of months ago.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • PudseyDB
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:25 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 8:25 AM
    Agree with the others - they should exchange free of charge. They offered to do this with mine as i was having problems with it, but a visit from a friendly engineer found it was the dish that was faulty and replaced that.

There are cheap skyplus boxes on ebay as people sell them after they upgrade - its better if possible to find one local to you so you can collect.
  • spike7451
    • 12th Jan 11, 9:11 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 9:11 AM
    We managed to get a replacement Sky+ box from Sky just recently.
    The multi-room box upstairs just refused to work, but luckily the contractors had one on their van
    Secondhand obviously, but it was free so im not complaining
    Originally posted by coffeeandfags
    It's not 'luck' that they had one in the van,they carry a van stock of all type of boxes for use on top of what they are issued on a daily basis for their jobs.They carry new & reconditioned boxes.
    Reason is just in case a box goes faulty on install or they pick up extra work to replace cancelled jobs.

Ironically,I replaced my Aunt's Thompson Sky+ yesterday with my old PACE one as the PSU blew on hers & when it came on,she got error messages when trying to use the Sky+ stuff.
    Just need to find somewhere now in NI that can replace the PSU for her..
    • jamesflood
    • By jamesflood 12th Jan 11, 9:31 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    jamesflood
    • 12th Jan 11, 9:31 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 9:31 AM
    Ok, 1 tip for you.

Ring sky and tell them that you can smell burning coming from your box.

They will either send u a new 1 asap because it's a fire hazard or send someone round. If someone does come round, they cant leave you without a box so you will get 1 regardless!!

Hope this helps
  • dudley3012
    • 12th Jan 11, 10:10 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 10:10 AM
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that they replaced free of charge. I think they should be okay with us as we have been customers for 13 years and have phone and bb with them too. We are not on the top package though. I could jsut try saying no to the HD and 10 a month but I would probably get drawn in
    If it is still not behaving this evening then I shall bash the phones as I cannot bear Feeview, not a bad channel mix but we only get Welsh so that is a bit annoying.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 1040 - Doing well
    • Mallotum X
    • By Mallotum X 12th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    Mallotum X
    • 12th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    • 12th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    Dont get drawn in, just say no lol!

Phoning to cancel often gets you good deals on all sorts of things, so try that first.
  • spike7451
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that they replaced free of charge. I think they should be okay with us as we have been customers for 13 years and have phone and bb with them too. We are not on the top package though. I could jsut try saying no to the HD and 10 a month but I would probably get drawn in
    If it is still not behaving this evening then I shall bash the phones as I cannot bear Feeview, not a bad channel mix but we only get Welsh so that is a bit annoying.
    Originally posted by dudley3012
    They don't.They charge 65 a call out after the first year however in some circumstances they may reduce or remove the charge.
    • jamesflood
    • By jamesflood 12th Jan 11, 11:16 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    jamesflood
    35 callout charge for Sky techs, or atleast that's what we are told to say at virgin
    Whilst ours are free
    Last edited by jamesflood; 12-01-2011 at 11:19 AM.
  • dudley3012
    wish I could get virgin, but alas there is no cable where we are.
    I have found a 160gb box (double our existing one) on ebay, BIN for 40 delivered. So that is cheaper than an engineer visit if that is offered.
    • Apricot
    • By Apricot 12th Jan 11, 11:26 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    Apricot
    I can't get Virgin either - told Sky I was going to cancel and go with Virgin though as my box was broken. Two days later they sent someone around with a new HD box.
    DD July 2011

Aug 13 4235.19 2550.00
    • Niv
    • By Niv 12th Jan 11, 3:44 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Niv
    I recently rang to upgrade my box. I asked for cancelations and told them I wanted to cancel due to notbeing able to record tv. Long story short - they gave me a Sky +HD box for free with a 15 installation 3 days after I phoned. Although it is a HD box you do not need to take the 10pm for HD you will simply not get the subscription based HD channels, you will still get BBC, ITV and Channel 4 HD (but oddly not E4).
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • dudley3012
    Welll, it is working ot watch channels now but we still cannot record etc so I am going to be phoning later on. I will keep you informed
  • spike7451
    Welll, it is working ot watch channels now but we still cannot record etc so I am going to be phoning later on. I will keep you informed
    Originally posted by dudley3012
    PSU is starting to fail,ironically,the same thing happened to my Aunt's Thompson box on Tuesday.She kept getting an error message when trying to use the record/play ect.
    Thankfully,I still had my old Sky+ box so I gave her that.
  • dudley3012
    After much advice for here and playing about with the box, Sky came through and are sending us a free hd box, it is coming tomorrow and we are getting two months HD (no commitment thereafter) and movies pack 2 for three months for free. Hoorah. We do spend with them (TV, BB and phone) and have referred 10 people over the years. It took a while but we got there. Thnaksfor your advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,596Users online

Martin's Twitter