Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 11th Jan 11, 11:35 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Add your feedback on gadget recycler Cex
    • 11th Jan 11, 11:35 AM
    Add your feedback on gadget recycler Cex 11th Jan 11 at 11:35 AM
    This is a feedback thread on gadget recycling firm

Cex

Important Note: Cex was previously removed from the Sell Old Mobiles article due to poor feedback from MoneySavers and off for around 18 mths.

Cex says it has substantially improved the process so we have reinstated its inclusion.

As we know it's not been good in the past please share your RECENT experience of Cex with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part and please share
    • When and what you did?
    • Was it fast and efficient?
    • Did you get your cash promptly?
    • Did you have any problems?
    • Did it pay what it said it would?

The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Archna; 11-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 12
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 14th May 15, 1:49 PM
    • 51,393 Posts
    • 21,764 Thanks
    grumbler
    I don't think you understand what constitutes being a 'crook'. ...
    Originally posted by darkmatter280
    Who are you addressing? The last time word 'crooks' was used in this thread was about 2 years ago.

That said, like the majority of other similar companies, they show inflated prices on the website to lure you, but almost never honour them whatever good condition the actual phone is in.
    Last edited by grumbler; 14-05-2015 at 1:52 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • iansp
    • By iansp 7th Jun 15, 1:20 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    iansp
    Went into the Cramlington Store today, with a close to Mint condition, unlocked, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, with all original accessories and original box.

I was offered the Grade 'C' price (86) despite having all accessories and the phone being in excellent condition.

(Their website states:

A - Mint: Working product in mint cosmetic condition with all accessories.

B - Good: Working product in good cosmetic condition with all essential accessories.

C - Working: Working product in poor cosmetic condition, with charger.)

They effectively tried to rip me off in terms of their grading.

Grainger Games game me a significantly higher (and fairer) price for it. Close to what I would get for a good sale on Ebay.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Jun 15, 4:37 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    Went into the Cramlington Store today, with a close to Mint condition, unlocked, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, with all original accessories and original box.

I was offered the Grade 'C' price (86) despite having all accessories and the phone being in excellent condition.

(Their website states:

A - Mint: Working product in mint cosmetic condition with all accessories.

B - Good: Working product in good cosmetic condition with all essential accessories.

C - Working: Working product in poor cosmetic condition, with charger.)

They effectively tried to rip me off in terms of their grading.

Grainger Games game me a significantly higher (and fairer) price for it. Close to what I would get for a good sale on Ebay.
    Originally posted by iansp
    What was the actual difference between Grainger Games and CEX?
    ====
    • iansp
    • By iansp 7th Jun 15, 7:47 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    iansp
    It was almost 40 - closer to what CEX were offering as trade-in for mint.

But my point was that CEX were stiffing me on their evaluation.
    Last edited by iansp; 07-06-2015 at 7:50 PM.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Jun 15, 10:55 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    It was almost 40 - closer to what CEX were offering as trade-in for mint.

But my point was that CEX were stiffing me on their evaluation.
    Originally posted by iansp
    I was just wondering as there doesn't seem a huge difference in the CEX prices.

Galaxy Note 2 grade B 89
    https://uk.webuy.com/phones/product.php?mastersku=SSAMN710016GW&sku=SSAMN71001 6GWUNLB

Galaxy Note 2 Grade C 84
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMN710016GWUNLC

Galaxy Note 2 Grade A 94
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSAMN710016GWUNLA
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Jun 15, 7:53 AM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    That may be because their complaint was that CEX failed to pay what (according to them) was offered on their website.
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Jun 15, 10:59 AM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    That may be because their complaint was that CEX failed to pay what (according to them) was offered on their website.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    But there is only 5 between Grade B and Grade C, so it seems there is more confusion than that poster realises, he is talking of a 40 differential, even if he expected Grade A and got Grade C the difference is only 10.
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Jun 15, 5:34 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    I'm not surprised. It definitely wouldn't be classed as a Grade A in any case.
  • CashHawker55
    iPhone 5 16GB White
    Firstly, this company are terrible! I sent them an iPhone 5 in excellent condition on 15/07/2015. It was "cleaned" by me and then unlocked by EE at a cost of 8.99p before I let it go. Today, 21/07/2015 I received an email to say that they had to regrade it down to an F (probably the lowest) due to a faulty power button that was non-responsive on operation. Their offer was 38 instead of 129. What a load of old baloney and complete nonsense! I've told CEX that if they have to resort to blatant lying in pursuit of their own financial gain then I would rather not deal with them at all. I've since requested the immediate return of my phone which they say will be with me tomorrow 22/07/2015 so watch this space. WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH CEX WITH A BARGEPOLE UNLESS YOU WANT TROUBLE. This is the first and last time I have ever used them.

MSE: you would do well to remove CEX from your website once more - they are are at it again!! Cheating the pubilc with their fake claims.
  • bob mac
    BIG BIG difference in valuation
    Took an iphone 4 8gb into the shop where they claimed 85 for a mint condition phone. Everything in the box present and unsed, apart from the phone which I considered mint condition, was only offered 30.
    This is a massive difference in price, waste of time!
    I thought this company, CeX, were meant to have improved their act!
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Aug 15, 4:03 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    Took an iphone 4 8gb into the shop where they claimed 85 for a mint condition phone. Everything in the box present and unsed, apart from the phone which I considered mint condition, was only offered 30.
    This is a massive difference in price, waste of time!
    I thought this company, CeX, were meant to have improved their act!
    Originally posted by bob mac
    No they don't. A quick check online shows that even a mint unlocked iPhone 4 8GB only has a cash value of 61.

https://uk.webuy.com/phones/product.php?mastersku=SAPPIPH48GB&sku=SAPPIPH48GBU NLB#.VcywqHR4WK0

If the phone has any signs of use it isn't mint and will be a B at best, which is 56 if unlocked. Locked to any networks drops it into the 30-40 range.

Did you perhaps confuse it with the voucher value price?
    ====
  • Muesli
    Wouldn't use or recommend.
    Well, we saw from the mobile valuer website that Cex paid the most, up to 61 for a mint condition iphone 4, and possibly more instore. We had two to trade in, so we went to the Cardiff St David's branch. There we were told that it would be maximum of 56 for mint condition, but since ours were missing the headphones they couldn't be classed as mint so it'd be a maximum of 51, which we were still happy with.

We had to leave them there for 20 minutes for testing. When we went back they said that one of them was faulty, the speaker didn't work, and they'd only give us 15 for it. Neither phone had ever had a problem with the speaker before, and it seemed a large reduction just based on the speaker. Had a gut feeling that something was up with this, the staff members' demeanour was odd, and the person who did the testing was out of sight round the corner.

We then took the phones to Game, thinking that if the speaker was indeed faulty then it would be picked up and we would accept it as a true fault, though we had never been aware of it before. We left the phones there for longer, for an hour for them to be tested, and they were both passed as in excellent condition. We received more money from Game than we would have got from Cex too, just over 52 per phone. It may have been coincidence that the speaker was found not to be working at Cex or not, but gut feeling was that something was up. What I would say with Cex is that if they want to take something off the price, go somewhere else and get a second opinion.

Personally, I won't be setting foot in there again.

ETA: This was yesterday, 13 August. The difference between what they originally offered and what they offered after testing was the same for one phone (51) and 36 less (about 2/3).
    Last edited by Muesli; 14-08-2015 at 3:43 PM.
  • fenellypie
    Cwmbran Store staff not only rude but incompetent!
    I wanted to sell immaculate iphone 5, due to upgrade. 4pm arrived at store 11/08/15 and I was told 4pm was too late to test a phone and I should come back tomorrow but much earlier. The store closes at 6pm, I should have known this was a beginning of the end. I was told I could leave the phone there and come back next week. 4pm arrived at store 17/08/15. I was told the maximum I would get for phone box, charger, earphones & contents was 86, this would be the third price they were the quote me. I said I was not happy with that price and I wanted the phone and everything i'd brought in with it back, including the original box. They couldn't find the box and the person who had tested the phone was not in, so if I wanted to return tomorrow, Then they could tell me what had happened to the box.

I am very unhappy about the level of service I received and will never go back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
    • preable
    • By preable 9th Nov 15, 4:02 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    preable
    I went to sell my iphone 5 which was in box and came with earphones and charger ect and got told it was going to be a A grade and i had to wait 30 mins for someone to test it. Got back and the had downgraded me to a F which i thought cant be right. There reason was a faulty lock butten which i knew worked perfect so i took it off them and sold to grainger games where it passed and said there was no faults soo avoid CEX at all costs.
    • melko
    • By melko 21st Feb 16, 5:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    melko
    Avoid!!!
    Be very careful when you try to sell anything for CEX. I have just taken my Nokia Lumia 620 in the Waltham Cross store today. I wanted to sell the phone there and buy an other one. The phone was working properly, fully charged I was confident about it. I left my phone with them and waited 45 minutes for testing. After 45 minutes they said the phone has been failed, it was just looping and they refused to take it. We had a look in the battery and noticed that it was not ours. It had white marks on it and was in more used condition as before. We tried to explain all of these but they did not seem concurrent at all. Either they did something with the battery which went completely flat during the test or they changed it to a none working battery to avoid to pay money for a Nokia phone. We got so upset. I emailed to the head office hope I will get an answer. Don't trust them because they could cheat on you!
    • Jazzpatterns
    • By Jazzpatterns 10th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jazzpatterns
    I've had an 80 voucher for nearly 3 years now I was told I couldn't cash it in! not even for a fraction of the 80
    So I spent the 80 in store then sold the items back to them i got 40 for the goods sold back to them !!!128512; and of course I asked for the cash this time
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    I've had an 80 voucher for nearly 3 years now I was told I couldn't cash it in! not even for a fraction of the 80
    So I spent the 80 in store then sold the items back to them i got 40 for the goods sold back to them !!!128512; and of course I asked for the cash this time
    Originally posted by Jazzpatterns
    You could probably have sold the voucher for 60 or more if you could find someone wanting to buy something from CEX, you often see people advertising them on forums.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,096Posts Today

7,055Users online

Martin's Twitter