Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    xtinkersx
    May 2012 Brides (and Grooms) + Diary of a 2012 Bride
    • 9th Jan 11, 9:54 PM
    May 2012 Brides (and Grooms) + Diary of a 2012 Bride 9th Jan 11 at 9:54 PM
    Well as my weddings been booked for nearly a year I thought id start this up for fellow May 2012's and also somewhere I can keep myself sane/feel like Im offloading ! Hope thats ok

So I now have 496 days to go!! Eeek its scary when I think it started at double that It really is coming round fast before we know it it will e xmas time and then OUR year!!
    19th May is our 7 year anniversary which is why we chose the date, we would have married sooner but financially it wouldnt have been possible to have the day we want and the 2 arrivals also prevented that!

Starting the gym soon to shift the rest of the 6 stone - 2 1/2 more to loose woop woop then bk to pre preg/ 18 yrs old weight haha but got some serious toning up to do my 2 best friends/ bridesmaids are also being my gym buddies to keep me on track which is absolutely fab and im really looking forward to it!!

So to do list and check list:

Done
    • Booked venue
    • Started saving (oopps dipped in and bought a new tv so got some making up to do!)
    • Chose bridesmaids
    • Chose colour scheme
    • Got candy bar vases/jars
    • Got Save the date magnets (twice coz 1st lot hadnt booked so no date!)
    • Got Thankyou gifts for x5 bridesmaids and pageboy
    • Got some centrepiece stuff (not having your typical one so tricky to track down Ebay is my golden star at the moment!) JUST ORDERED REST OF CENTREPIECE STUFF
    • Got flip flops + basket
    • Got male favours x2 and boxes
    • Got all lady favour bits - x9 dif things + bags + labels
    • Got sweety bags + labels
    • Got all matching thankyous
    • Got stationary bits
    • GOT ALL CHILDRENS BITS (X11 THINGS)
    • Got cake sorted (me)
    • Got music sorted for walking in/meal/first dance
    • Booked photog paid depo
    • Booked chair covers paid depo
    • Booked entertainment paying depo next week
    • Chose flowers ready to buy
    • BOOKED LIMO
    • BOOKED MAKEUP LADY
    • STARTED GYM
    • GOT ALL STATIONARY
    • GOT ALL EXTRAS

To do:
    • September me and girls order dresses
    • Feb- boys get suits
    • Get sweets
    • Pay everyone
    Hmmm think thats it but im sure when the folders out tomorrow theyll be something to add!!

Woop woop got sooooooooooooooooo much done this last 2 weeks cant believe my extra bits list is now downt to bits that can only be purchased next year only 448 days left be bored soon!
    Last edited by xtinkersx; 26-02-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added
    Marrying the love of my life May19th 2012
    ** 52lbs Down!! 32lbs to go**
Page 1
  • xtinkersx
    • 14th Jan 11, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Jan 11, 9:01 PM
    ANyone else booked for May?? Am I a loner lol

Got my last bit for the lady favours today so going to make up tomorrow and see what like when all together

Anyone else get ngativity about getting wed off family or friends??

My sister came round other day, shes meant to be my moh but she really isnt interested at all since weve announced the days booked shes been funny about it and then she said that she doesnt see the point in getting married these days as its just as easy to get divorced. I asked why she was engaged if she thought that and her response was "for commitment but we have always said we would never get married theres no point" I said i could kinda see her point but where there are kids you have more of a reason to marry it made me feel a bit sad and then when i mentioned to my mum she agreed that alot of people these days do just engaged for the sake of it/commitment but I said we got engaged to get married.

no one seems to be fussed tbh even ohs mum hasnt even acknowledged it even when i gave her a std magnet at xmas she just went oh right and put it in her bag?!!

Now i know when i meet up with 2 best friends (also my bms) i get all excited tlaking about wedding things as they let me and get excited too!!
  • katini
    • 16th Jan 11, 6:42 PM
    • 16th Jan 11, 6:42 PM
    We've just booked our wedding! 12th May 2012

We booked it and paid the deposit this afternoon. We will be getting married at Bilsington Priory Estate in Kent.

So excited!!
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 16th Jan 11, 6:53 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    Bluefire
    • 16th Jan 11, 6:53 PM
    • 16th Jan 11, 6:53 PM
    As of this morning I am now a May 2012 bride too! I was June before but the venue we'd chosen was just AWFUL and we reached the point where we just couldn't trust them to provide the day we wanted so we decided we were better off switching. We had no back up venue but luckily we went to a wedding fayre today and it was just perfect. They actually have a dedicated wedding planner unlike the previous venue & are a lot more accommodating. Feels like a huge weight has been taken off my shoulders, I'm so happy!
    Mortgage: 08/13 28,896.49 01/18 0

• abis21
    • 16th Jan 11, 7:19 PM
    • 16th Jan 11, 7:19 PM
    Oh bluefire, i'm glad you got sorted and changed venue!! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted since i changed venues. Even managed to get our deposit back from the original venue, so that was fab news.

Had a little chat with the new venue yesterday and we were soooooo impressed! Makes all the difference when yr happy with it all.

Where are you having it now? Is it still in a barn? xx
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 16th Jan 11, 8:29 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    Bluefire
    • 16th Jan 11, 8:29 PM
    • 16th Jan 11, 8:29 PM
    Tell me about it abis21, I've felt so much happier today now it's all sorted. We're having it at a hotel, but as luck would have it they have a converted barn which is separate to the rest of the building which will be all ours for the day! The wedding co-ordinator (which is something our previous venue didn't even have) is very on the ball & has already e-mailed us to confirm our provisional booking. They're really accommodating too, nothing we mentioned wanting was a problem & they've even said we don't have to cater 100% in the evening too which is fantastic!

What do you think, isn't it beautiful?

• xtinkersx
    • 16th Jan 11, 9:53 PM
    • 16th Jan 11, 9:53 PM
    its beautiful!!

So i back onto centrepieces today my tables are being named after rides of the place we met as i wanted to name them after them and centrepieces have drove me nuts for months and i didnt want your typical flower floating in a fish bowl so i have been ttracking stuff down to make this work there very different! i have 2 things so far which have cost me 2 each off ebay!!

One of them is alice in wonderland and omg some of the stuff ive found online is out of tis world amazing an dmaking me want to theme it around that now!!
  • xtinkersx
    • 18th Jan 11, 2:44 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 2:44 PM
    Well my wedding folder will now not come on as it jst upsets me too much.

Last night my nanna was found dead her names all in the wedding book on the table plan the invites etc so i dont want to even go in there incase i see it. im devastated even more so as she loves a good party and she was probably the only person who was excited about me and oh getting wed and now shes not going to be there to see it.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 18th Jan 11, 2:53 PM
    • 9,024 Posts
    • 59,992 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 18th Jan 11, 2:53 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 2:53 PM
    Thats so sad...and I know your feelings at the moment will be very raw...in time you'll get back to planning the wedding...just the way your nanna would have wanted....and keep her memory alive by including something of her in your day...that way whilst she wont be there ...she will be in spirit....

Dont alter your wedding book in any way...why dont you think about having a candle at the wedding or reception that can burn in her absence...
  • xtinkersx
    Thats so sad...and I know your feelings at the moment will be very raw...in time you'll get back to planning the wedding...just the way your nanna would have wanted....and keep her memory alive by including something of her in your day...that way whilst she wont be there ...she will be in spirit....

Dont alter your wedding book in any way...why dont you think about having a candle at the wedding or reception that can burn in her absence...
    Originally posted by LEJC
    thankyou for your kind words im trying to keep m head busy at the moment so thought id come bk here

I have seen these candles with peoples names on and a friend of a friend sells them so Im definetly going to see about getting one with my nan and grandad on and also in the programme maybe.
    it just makes me sad that (as you may have read in my previous posts) no one seems interested but she was so thats hurting a the moment as i know she would have been asking about the wedding when i saw her etc . thanks again x
  • katini
    I'm really sorry to hear about your Nanna, xtinkersx. I think LJEC's idea is lovely and would mean that she was still a part of your day.

I know you feel rubbish about the fact that it appears that no one is interested about your wedding but we all are so you can keep telling us about it until you're sick of hearing it yourself!! I think as the day approaches people will get more keen to know things but as I am experiencing too, people's interest has sort of waned after the initial engagement period and short of wanting to know when it is, they have put it to the back of their minds. Obviously for us it's a really important event in our lives but not everyone will have the same level of interest because they will only be guests. It's probably even worse for you because you've been waiting nearly seven years! At least you've got your friends to tell everything to. I'm sure your sister has her reasons for being negative towards it and it may have more to do with they can't get married or something similar at the moment rather than they've chosen not to.

Hope that makes sense. Don't let these events stop you from experiencing all the joy of the planning and thinking about 19th May 2012. I hope you're ok.
  • xtinkersx
    Today we said Good bye for the last time, but it was a lovely day <3

Back onto wedding as today it started being discussed!
    I have now accquired another bridesmaid! My younger cousin who I was out with at the weekend! I wanted to ask but again I didnt want to do the "can you buy your own dress" so i thought i would leave for a bit. Then she mentioned it said was fine about the dress so I have now gone from 1 bm and flowergirl to 5 bms and a flowergirl haha!

I now ave another problem boggling my head-the church vs the hotel AGAIN!!
    I always wanted to marry at our local church just round the corner, both my children were christened there, its gorgeous and the father is so nice-he also did my nans funeral today. BUT the cost was 600+ something I didnt really want to add to the pay list!
    So we settled for marrying at the hotel with loads of pluses- all being in one venue, its only 20 ish minute ceremony and theres no signing etc the things not everyone likes!
    But my mum mentioned when she went to see the Father about the funeral last week he mentioned the cost of weddings to her and she said about me getting wed and not being able to do it there as the cost etc. To which he replied "well has she been to see me about gettting the cost down?"

HAGGLING WITH A VICAR HAHA!! I would never dream of it.
    So now I dont know what to do??!! Im so puzzled!
  • vh122
    @ Bluefire

The venue looks amazing!!! MY engagement hall is similiar but not as nice!
  • vh122
    may i ask.. have u got tables there.. and if so what are your centre pieces like?
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 28th Jan 11, 5:44 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    Bluefire
    may i ask.. have u got tables there.. and if so what are your centre pieces like?
    Originally posted by vh122
    We will have tables, 6 in total I think. Haven't decided on centrepieces yet but I quite like these: http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_304029402082_-1?CMP=OTC-GOOGLEPS

We're allowed candles so I plan on having plenty, even if it's going to be daylight when they're lit!

• vh122
    oo thats pretty!!
  • xtinkersx
    I have booked makeup today she knocked 70 quid off as theres 4 of us and i wasnt payong 350+ for makeup! but as im not getting the girls dresses im paying for this so thats good
    Oh has just askerd about the church vs hotel thing but i actually think im set on the hotel!! last yr if we were here now i would have said the church hands down no questions but after talking myself round i seem to have stuck, i think its the shortness of the service tbh coz oh is dreding doing ANY speaking on the day plus i dont fancy standing in church at the front for so long either and i can imagine my family being bored and the kids going mad like at the christenings haha.
    But now because ive ended up with 4 bridesmaids we cant stay at the hotel the night before so oh and ds will stay there and ill stya home with the girls but il have to get a car grrrrr too many things now i was right on track!! and i could do with changing entertainment asap so oh stops making horrid comments about the guy we booked!! men!
  • xtinkersx
    Ohhh the makeup artist rang me today and was asking about times and things and it gave me butterflies!! ive never had that before it was so strnage but got me mega excited!!
  • vh122
    ahhhhh omg this talk gets me so excitd!! i cant waitt!
  • xtinkersx
    Had a right good wedding week this week

Woke up on Thursday to a lovely email (not) off the chair people telling em they couldnt do them now!!!!! Panic overdrive emailing everyone in the area that came up on google. thankfully a lovely very helpful (better then previous) came to my rescue. she was alot more then the originals but shes doing free top and cake table swag and even free table runners! Meeting her at a wedding fayre in a couple of weeks

Found flowers the other day too. was once again for the millionth time looking for my gerberas as my sites gone from 1.50 to 2.10 per stem!! but i have fallen head over for a gorgeous white rose and hot pink detail bouquet! completly different to what i had in mind and not matching so the plan is : me: white rose bouquet, flowergirl:white and pink rose petals (also scattered on cake table) bms and men:gerbera buttonholes to match stationary.
    i think that should tie together then

also got the invite blanks the other day alot smaller then i thought but will diy them up good! guestbook came and the rest of the lady and mens favours. they are completed now the nail files came just need something chocolatty to add to them both but will wait till val day next year.

My other nan is in hos at the moment she went in with suspected internal bleeding and kidney failure but its now come about she may have bone marrow cancer theyve managed to get her blood back up and her kidneys functioning a bit and shes got a biopsy in the morning. keeping all crossed she'll be ok xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

2,828Users online

Martin's Twitter