Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • HazelEyes
    • 3rd Nov 06, 2:43 PM
    • 3rd Nov 06, 2:43 PM
    It's a business pure and simple - they sell the clothes in the "third world". If you have saleable clothes donate them to a local charity shop. These companies will take anything so can be useful as it is better to give worn clothing to them than put them in the household rubbish where they will end up in landfill.
    • lamb7994
    • By lamb7994 3rd Nov 06, 6:03 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lamb7994
    • 3rd Nov 06, 6:03 PM
    • 3rd Nov 06, 6:03 PM
    Hazeleyes is right they're a company. There's alot of these companies about.

If you have worn clothing most charity shops will accept them as they still get paid for rags the best way of doing this is mark the bag with rags and tell the person as it saves them time when sorting the clothes.

James
  • GiveItBack
    • 3rd Nov 06, 6:15 PM
    • 3rd Nov 06, 6:15 PM
    "God will reward you for your good hearts"? Euugh.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Nov 06, 8:50 PM
    • 38,626 Posts
    • 35,359 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Nov 06, 8:50 PM
    If in doubt ...
    • 7th Nov 06, 8:50 PM
    there are several places you can check up on the charity credentials of anything like this.

Guidestar is one place, The Charity Commission is another.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
  • davepitchford
    • 9th Nov 06, 6:33 PM
    • 9th Nov 06, 6:33 PM
    I agree that it's better the clothes go to the developing world than into landfill, no matter who takes them here. The truth is that even when charities send clothing to many developing countries they end up in local markets and people make money out of them (I've seen it all over Africa). But there's nothing wrong with that. It's providing a living wage (and no more) to people who need it.
    • lamb7994
    • By lamb7994 9th Nov 06, 6:37 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lamb7994
    • 9th Nov 06, 6:37 PM
    • 9th Nov 06, 6:37 PM
    The rag company the charity i work for sell the rags to go to london and are recycled into carpets by a major carpet manufactuer and other clothes go to a recycling company and are "stripped" the leather goes to a different company.

J
  • GiveItBack
    • 9th Nov 06, 8:35 PM
    • 9th Nov 06, 8:35 PM
    Companies trading on clothing to the third world to be sold on making a profit to people over there is fine, as long as they are actually doing that, and are open about it.

But companies selling on clothes donated by people who think they're going to charity is a different matter. Companies that make profit for themselves, but not for people in need shouldn't imply they do otherwise.

• Crazyangel
    • By Crazyangel 13th Nov 06, 6:08 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Crazyangel
    • 13th Nov 06, 6:08 PM
    • 13th Nov 06, 6:08 PM
    We get these all the time. I bet they make a hefty profit on selling the clothes, so we take them to our local charity shop instead

Wins : McCains garden games set, 2xTickets to Alton Towers, Links of London friendship bracelet, 2xIdeal Home Show tickets, McFly album CD, Virgin Balloon flight for 2 with a case of ScrumpyJack cider and 2 ltd edition jackets, Powerboat racing experience, £50 Virgin voucher, Aerobie Pro flying ring & Rice Krispie squares, Tesco baby pack
  • GiveItBack
    If anyone would like to post them here for me to see, or pm me with them, I'd be interested in having a look.

GiB

• lamb7994
    • By lamb7994 13th Nov 06, 7:29 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lamb7994
    The charity i work for are taking action along with other major charities against companies like these as some of thge mislead the public and also nick our collection bags as it's classed as theft.

James
  • mirakl
    I get tortured with these types of companies, I get two or three bags a week stuffed through my letterbox. It was starting to annoy me but now that I know they're profit making I'll be cooking up some complaint letters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,282Posts Today

8,533Users online

Martin's Twitter