Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misskaty
    • By misskaty 26th Dec 10, 9:50 AM
    • 183Posts
    • 847Thanks
    misskaty
    Lets get started for Christmas 2011
    • 26th Dec 10, 9:50 AM
    Lets get started for Christmas 2011 26th Dec 10 at 9:50 AM
    So

Chrsitmas 2010 has gone and now its time to start preparing for 2011, this can be a place where we can share ideas so there is no stess at that special time.

So lets get you ideas in !!
Page 1
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 26th Dec 10, 10:50 AM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 6,488 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 26th Dec 10, 10:50 AM
    • 26th Dec 10, 10:50 AM
    I guess everyone else is too busy stuffing the After Eights down their throats to reply on this thread !

Next year I'll try not to get so stressed & upset about going to see other family members, who appear to struggle to "fit me in". Nobody will come to me or to Mum's, as they all like to have a drink, so I go to them, taking the presents, my Mum and usually some festive food which never gets eaten.

Tbh I would go away for Christmas (yes, solo) but I can't leave my 87 year old mum on her own because I don't "trust" my sister or brother to entertain and look after her properly. That sounds very mean - they wouldn't do it knowingly, just that they leave me to look after her all year so they don't really know what she likes, can do etc.

I know it's my own "fault" that I didn't marry and have children (it just didn't happen, should have tried harder), but I always feel on the periphery of my sister's and brother's lives at Christmas, and would like to be closer.

Anyway it's not the end of the world.

Linda xx
    • lucylema
    • By lucylema 26th Dec 10, 11:33 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    lucylema
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:33 AM
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:33 AM
    happy boxing day

ok for prepare for christmas 2011......

I am going to put 1 per day away and so is my hubby from 01 jan to 30 november. we have also said that we are going to go out for dinner so that savings should cover it and then some!

I am going to try and have a car boot christmas next year and will hopefully make some goodies
    Lucylema x
  • mary-op
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:40 AM
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:40 AM
    I'm going to collect all the ''unwanted gifts'' and put them in a box, bit by bit sort them out, wrap them and hopefully be all done by August !
    Try and arrange to spend Christmas just me and OH...............less pressure all round.
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
    • chickywiggle
    • By chickywiggle 26th Dec 10, 11:42 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 26,910 Thanks
    chickywiggle
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:42 AM
    • 26th Dec 10, 11:42 AM
    hello. i'll put a linky on the old thread to pull this years peoples over.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas.
  • archived user
    • 26th Dec 10, 1:01 PM
    • 26th Dec 10, 1:01 PM
    ive just been on boots/superdrug site and ordered a load of reduced price gifts for teachers/dd s friends for xmas 2011. i will just put them in a box untill later this year when she can sort out who gets what .
  • CallaLily
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:18 PM
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:18 PM
    I've bought all the presents for neice's & nephew's in the online sales just waiting for them to be delivered and I've set up a savings account to take monthly direct debit from my main account .

Now if only I could be this organised with the rest of my life I'd be on to something .
  • mrsgreentoad
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:28 PM
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:28 PM
    one word no
    • ixia
    • By ixia 26th Dec 10, 2:41 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    ixia
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:41 PM
    • 26th Dec 10, 2:41 PM
    I am going to save a monthly amount too and try to be better organised next year.
  • sarahpowell
    Afternoon all

I am in, I did a few handmade gifts this year that went down extremely well so I am hoping to continue that through for next year. I have decided to do the same as lucylema and put away 2 a day (just me) this will hopefully spread my Christmas payments over the year. :-) overall I would like to have as many presents as possible ready for 1st Nov as this year I was still MAKING presents on Xmas eve! Aaaararrggghhh

Sarah
    • ocemeer
    • By ocemeer 26th Dec 10, 2:49 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    ocemeer
    This year plan to make all the christmas cards, and hopefully have time to make the chirstmas pud and cake. (thoguh will be interesting as next year xmas is in Spain!!!).
    Would like to make more of the xmas presents this year - just be more organised full stop would be good.
  • purplerose
    I'm going to:

put away a monthly amount of money
    buy cards/wrapping paper in the sales to put away for next year
    buy some festive table accessories in the sales - chargers/candle sticks/napkins
    attempt to get better at baking throughout the year and do my own xmas cake/mince pies/xmas cookies
    do what I done this year - start xmas shopping at the beginning of November, do most of it online and have it all wrapped by the end of November
    Debt: Started at 4780, now at 4190
    Comp Wins 2014: None yet

• huston_kw
    • By huston_kw 26th Dec 10, 3:19 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    huston_kw
    I'm saving this year, so December isn't a big spend. Going to budget it in and will let you all know later, heads not in finance mood today but me & OH are looking at it tomorrow!

• Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 26th Dec 10, 3:29 PM
    • 14,290 Posts
    • 57,454 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    Can I join in please, I really need to try and get organized again for next year. When I was working I use to be in a christmas savings club and have everything done by the end of Nov. Since I finished I've stopped saving and kept telling myself there was plenty of time now to sort things out. Well both the weather and ill health meant that time ran out and I got so far behind this year I gave up trying to catch up. Luckly we don't open presents untill the 31st Dec but I'm still waiting for some of my online things to arrive, so fingers crossed they will be here this week.

Anyway in an effort to do better in 2011 I'm going to

Save 15 a month
    Try to get some baubble decorations in the sale
    Make my own cake
    Make my own cards and some gifts.
    Have everything done apart from putting the decorations up, by end of Nov.
    • misskaty
    • By misskaty 26th Dec 10, 4:25 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    misskaty
    Some great ideas coming in guys, I'm going shopping in the sales tomorrow, any shops which have some great sales on ?
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 26th Dec 10, 4:53 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    we are thinking about joining Park to save for Vouchers for Christmas 2011 but i am a little worried about joining them.

So do people think they are a good idea? how have they been for Christmas 2010?
    • chickywiggle
    • By chickywiggle 26th Dec 10, 4:55 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 26,910 Thanks
    chickywiggle
    we are thinking about joining Park to save for Vouchers for Christmas 2011 but i am a little worried about joining them.

Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    personally I'd never join any after the one that went bust a few years ago. Why not do what myself and many others are doing (and did this year)..... get a terracotta pot that you have to smash to get money out - put in 1 a day eh voila an easy 300 (or whatever you want to put in it) by next christmas.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas.
    • wearside
    • By wearside 26th Dec 10, 5:02 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    wearside

Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    After Park Hampers went bust a couple of years ago it is folly to "invest" in companies like these IMHO. I would open an Online Building Society Account and stick a few pounds in when I could. The interest my be crap but at least the money is safe
    To Dare is To Do
  • Quenastoise
    - Will be visiting the sales tomorrow to stock up on discounted goodies

- will prune even further the list of cards to be sent in 2011 and only bother to send cards to people I care for/who will send one in return !

- returned one of DH's presents to me today and chose another one myself instead - would like to do the same next year

- won't make too much effort about the cooking next year - both DH and DS were too full of choccies to enjoy Xmas dinner by the time 5 pm came
    Keep calm and carry on
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 26th Dec 10, 5:04 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    i'll be in once ive got over this christmas
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,209Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter