SPARK energy big problem!!

Comments

• Hello guys, (SPARK Energy - HIGH Rates)

Same thing moved into a property renting with Your Move and looked at the contact with Your Move. Not only did they charge high admin fees but also stated in the contract that the Energy will be supplied by Spark.

This is unfair because our first bill for was £150. For a period of two months for both gas and electric.

Got a new bill today for £515 for a period of less then 3 months. Small two bed property with LED low energy consumption lights and very little usage all round.

Going to call SPARK Energy tomorrow and see what can be done.

Spark Energy just put us on a higher tariff without letting us even know about any changes.

I think this is really unfair as we never even had a choice to choose a tariff or supplier.

I will update again in the morning and let you all know how my phone call goes with them. Good to know that Your Move and Spark Energy are working together to ensure that renting a property is expensive and can be very unfair when it comes to supplies.
  • Hi everyone,

I have moved in to rented property in May 2009 when we moved in we were told we had to go with spark as our electricity and gas provider.

On moving in to the property we submitted meter readings and started receiving bills which were quite standard on average about £60 per month, considering this is a very small two bedroom flat on the second floor with double glazing thanks to which we have no need for much central heating as the flat is very warm and with only 3 people living who work all day we really do not use that much of electricity or gas.

Last month I have received a bill for £175 when I called spark I was told that it was only an estimate and when giving my meter reading was told that my new bill will be £982! I have received the bill and apparently the usage in my small flat on gas and electricity from 04/06/2009 to 16/11/2010 is £2.144.29 and I have paid for this period so far £1.161.93 and the rest I have to pay now. After writing a formal letter of complaint spark made immediate offer of £200 off my bill. They are charging me from 19 to 16 pence per unit of electricity their explanation is that because I’m not a direct debit customer they have to buy my electricity and gas on daily basis from their supplier and because of this I’m on what they called Standard Plus Tariff, they are saying that if I’m not on direct debit than my bills are 30% more expensive, surely that can be legal to charge so much if someone opts for cash /cheque option?

They also claim that in my ‘welcome call’ I was made fully aware how much more expensive it will be not to be on direct debit, I do remember being told that it will cost more but definitely not 30%, when I asked spark to provide me with the recording of the ‘welcome call’ was told that they lisinited to it and I was definitely told.

Furthermore on talking to my landlady about the problem she had no idea that there was a clause in the contract about moving to spark energy, she never even heard of them, so we gathered that Ludlow&Thompson (the estate agents that we were dealing with when renting the flat) must have a deal with them, when my landlady contacted the estate agents they immediately offered to swap the energy suppliers, however there still remains the matter of the outstanding bill which I believe is far too large.

[FONT=&quot] I seem to be going around in circles with spark and really do not know what to do, please somebody advice me on what to do next? Is there a regulatory body that can help me with this?

Thank you so much
    [/FONT]

Hello guys, (SPARK Energy - HIGH Rates)

Same thing moved into a property renting with Your Move and looked at the contact with Your Move. Not only did they charge high admin fees but also stated in the contract that the Energy will be supplied by Spark.

This is unfair because our first bill for was £150. For a period of two months for both gas and electric.

Got a new bill today for £515 for a period of less then 3 months. Small two bed property with LED low energy consumption lights and very little usage all round.

Going to call SPARK Energy tomorrow and see what can be done.

Spark Energy just put us on a higher tariff without letting us even know about any changes.

I think this is really unfair as we never even had a choice to choose a tariff or supplier.

I will update again in the morning and let you all know how my phone call goes with them. Good to know that Your Move and Spark Energy are working together to ensure that renting a property is expensive and can be very unfair when it comes to supplies.
  • Hi everyone,

I have moved in to rented property in May 2009 when we moved in we were told we had to go with spark as our electricity and gas provider.

On moving in to the property we submitted meter readings and started receiving bills which were quite standard on average about £60 per month, considering this is a very small two bedroom flat on the second floor with double glazing thanks to which we have no need for much central heating as the flat is very warm and with only 3 people living who work all day we really do not use that much of electricity or gas.

Last month I have received a bill for £175 when I called spark I was told that it was only an estimate and when giving my meter reading was told that my new bill will be £982! I have received the bill and apparently the usage in my small flat on gas and electricity from 04/06/2009 to 16/11/2010 is £2.144.29 and I have paid for this period so far £1.161.93 and the rest I have to pay now. After writing a formal letter of complaint spark made immediate offer of £200 off my bill. They are charging me from 19 to 16 pence per unit of electricity their explanation is that because I’m not a direct debit customer they have to buy my electricity and gas on daily basis from their supplier and because of this I’m on what they called Standard Plus Tariff, they are saying that if I’m not on direct debit than my bills are 30% more expensive, surely that can be legal to charge so much if someone opts for cash /cheque option?

They also claim that in my ‘welcome call’ I was made fully aware how much more expensive it will be not to be on direct debit, I do remember being told that it will cost more but definitely not 30%, when I asked spark to provide me with the recording of the ‘welcome call’ was told that they lisinited to it and I was definitely told.

Furthermore on talking to my landlady about the problem she had no idea that there was a clause in the contract about moving to spark energy, she never even heard of them, so we gathered that Ludlow&Thompson (the estate agents that we were dealing with when renting the flat) must have a deal with them, when my landlady contacted the estate agents they immediately offered to swap the energy suppliers, however there still remains the matter of the outstanding bill which I believe is far too large.

[FONT=&quot] I seem to be going around in circles with spark and really do not know what to do, please somebody advice me on what to do next? Is there a regulatory body that can help me with this?

Thank you so much
    [/FONT]

My story is almost identical to yours nikipirowicz;39460752 down to bills being only £60 a month to living in a small 2 bedroom bungalow for almost 18 months. Only difference is I did pay by direct debit and my final bill was £3,125. This company has to be stopped they cant get away with this !!
  • Boggie
    Boggie Posts: 6 Forumite
    AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL: Avoid at all costs!!!

AKA: When dual fuel become a fuel duel...

I have been trying to move my dual fuel deal from Spark to EDF for four months. It took about two months for Spark to respond to EDF's transfer request and then they allowed the electricity but blocked the gas. The result is that EDF are supplying my electricity but Spark are still supplying gas!!!! That is despite having a final meter reading from us as requested.

I have tried to get hold of them on many occasions during this period. I have emailed via their website and by replying to their emails to me but apart from the initial automated response I have had no reply to any. I have tried to contact them by phone numerous times with little success (currently on hold and have been for 42 minutes but writing this review is killing some time).

Please, please; if you want to join Muppets, ring Jim Henson or Disney. Do not join Spark or you could find yourself in a Muppet Groundhog Day....
  • I am a bit confused about all the Spark Energy problems. On the face of it their tariff and standing charges ( in my area of Yorkshire ) are not far off the cheapest available if you pay by direct debit. Gas at 3.7/kwhr +20 p a day sc and Electric at 11.4/kwhr and only 13 p a day sc.
    I actually read meters occasionally for them and I will be trying to root out just how much in kickbacks are being fed to estate agents to switch rental properties to Spark I have met quite a few tenants baffled and confused by Spark Energy having received high bills
  • I was really worried after reading these reviews when I moved in to my rented house as I have never heard of them and was worried I was going to get ripped off, I must say by making contact with them in the UK and via web chat the service I received was fantastic and very quick to set up example meter readings and DD set up with a cheap tariff I can't complain, I did mention this to them about the issues and as a small company they did have issues but have expanded and can how services customers better and better than the other huge energy companies, I had to wait with BS over 45mins just to let them know I was moving! crazy!

I would recommend Spark Energy very good!
  • gemmayp wrote: »
    I had to wait with BS over 45mins just to let them know I was moving! crazy!
    !

BS? BS?! BS!!
  • Beware! They write a clause into your tenancy agreement basically making you take out an account with them.

After actually asking what their charges are, be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money if you don't set up a direct debit. They took over my account without the permission of the Landlord or myself...

The only way to stop them from doing this is to make sure you and your landlord (if you have contact with them) specifically state to the letting agent that you DO NOT want to use Spark energy. Even if spark do take over the supply, this can be reversed. If Spark already have the property when you move in, make sure that you get the supply changed to a new supplier as soon as you can, or liaise with the agent to not use them.

I found out spark took the property and was powerless to stop them. If I didn't have such a great landlord and letting agent, they probably would have doubled their prices after the 'introductory' period.

Top tip DO NOT ignore letters. I know opening letters which may look like bills can be a daunting experience, but just remember the quicker you tell them to pi** off the better!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    ............ On the face of it their tariff and standing charges ( in my area of Yorkshire ) are not far off the cheapest available if you pay by direct debit. Gas at 3.7/kwhr +20 p a day sc and Electric at 11.4/kwhr and only 13 p a day sc ........
    For me they come in 53rd out of 56, hardly competitive.
  • After not billing me for a year, I was 1200 in credit, lengthy hold times and a complete clock up at the very start I would completely avoid this company. Then when you leave it takes 28 days to get a final bill then the same for any credit refunds. AVOID AVOID AVOID
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure