Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Lillibet
    What to do with Duck Stock?
    • 16th Feb 05, 10:45 AM
    What to do with Duck Stock? 16th Feb 05 at 10:45 AM
    Hi all

Any suggestions on what I could use Duck Stock for if I boil up a carcass?
    Would it be a good basis for soup or would it taste odd? I imagine it would be too stong for most soups, Chinese soup would be ideal I guess but I don't really like it!
    Any other suggestions welcome as I seem to have developed a pregnancy-liking (not a craving exactly, I'm only on one duck a week) for crispy aromatic duck & as it costs so much I'd like to get my moneys worth!

Cheers

PS : Tecos have their crispy aromatic duck on special offer at the mo, 7.99 inc pancakes & hoi-sin sauce for anyone else who likes it! Although it says do not freeze, if you put the hoi-sin sauce in the fridge then the duck & the pancakes freeze perfectly.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
Page 1
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 16th Feb 05, 10:57 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 16th Feb 05, 10:57 AM
    • 16th Feb 05, 10:57 AM
    Just try it for minestrone or in a casserole as stock next time u make one in the slow cooker
    i think the crispy duck is cheaper in iceland
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Penny-Wise
    • 16th Feb 05, 11:30 AM
    • 16th Feb 05, 11:30 AM
    If you have a chinese supermarket near you could get cheaper crispy duck there. You can also buy the pancakes in bulk - you can eat as many as you like and never run out.
  • Lillibet
    • 16th Feb 05, 12:11 PM
    • 16th Feb 05, 12:11 PM
    Thanks, will try it as stock for a beef casserole maybe?

Will pop into Iceland next time I am near one, unfortunately neither that or a Chinese supermarket locally.

Cheers
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • JailhouseBabe
    • By JailhouseBabe 29th Dec 08, 10:41 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,311 Thanks
    JailhouseBabe
    • 29th Dec 08, 10:41 AM
    Duck stock for soup
    • 29th Dec 08, 10:41 AM
    I finally got round to making my duck stock last night (although realised this morning that I forgot to put the giblets in ). I intended to simmer for an hour and a half, but forgot it was on so ended up simmering for four and a half hours . Oh well, smells good and might just give me a thicker soup - or I guess I could use it as a concentrate and add more water?

Anyway, my question is: can I use duck stock for a broccoli and stilton soup, or would it be too 'overpowering'?

Thanks, JB x
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Dec 08, 11:04 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:04 AM
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:04 AM
    Hi Jailhousebabe,

You could use it for a broccoli and stilton soup but I think it could be overpowered by the other the ingredients. Duck stock is delicious so I use it for things like french onion, minestrone or pulse based soups where the taste isn't drowned by other flavours.

Pink
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 29th Dec 08, 11:37 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:37 AM
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:37 AM
    Duck and noodle soup is lovely
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 29th Dec 08, 11:42 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:42 AM
    • 29th Dec 08, 11:42 AM
    I always use duck stock to make asian style soup (we had it for tea last night actually ). I add some sliced mushrooms or peppers and some sliced spring onion and some thin noodles. Bit of soy sauce, fish sauce of you have it, maybe a bit of garlic or a bit of hoisin sauce, basically a bit of anything a bit asian out of the frige and some chili for those that like it.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 29th Dec 08, 1:23 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 29th Dec 08, 1:23 PM
    • 29th Dec 08, 1:23 PM
    wyebird - do you have a receipe please?

Do you make duck stock in the same way you make chicken (I use the Slow Cooker overnight with 2 litres of water)?

We're having duck on Saturday, but I've yet to be brave enough to make anything from the litres of chicken stock I now have in the freezer!
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 29th Dec 08, 4:33 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    I just break it up and simmer it on the hob for a couple of hours with some onion celery and a carrot. I usually clear it then with an egg white (after some nice person on here told me how )

Recipe for soup is a bit ad hoc, something along the lines of the one above by QOS...stock, matchstick carrots, celery, spring onions, cucumber, sweetcorn ( depending upon what's lurking in the fridge) soy sauce, fish sauce and chilli flakes and add broken noodles for the last couple of minutes
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 29th Dec 08, 4:36 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    clear it with an egg white???? :confused:
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 29th Dec 08, 4:42 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    Lol yes, something along the lines of put an egg white into it (whilst it's cool - otherwise you get a cooked egg white...and yes, I have!) and then you heat it up whilst stirring it and then you get a scummy sediment on the top which you can skim off. I wait to get shot down in flames for the explanation, but it seems to work
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 29th Dec 08, 5:28 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I think broccoli and stilton would be best with chicken or veg stock. Duck stock would be fab with lentils, beans and meaty broths.
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 1st Jan 09, 5:45 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    What to make using duck stock?
    I have made stock in the SC from our Christmas duck (it was frozen while we were away) and I am not sure what to do with it.

I was thinking soup with some of the meat we still have, plus a broth mix, but if there is something more exciting I can do I'm happy to hear.

We don;t have much meat, just a few scrapings really as we used the leftovers for pancakes.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jan 09, 6:06 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi skintchick,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it. This thread might be useful too:

What to do with leftover duck

Pink
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 10th Jan 10, 6:08 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Duck giblets and carcass
    Hi all

Ok, so I’ve looked through this thread and still can't really see what I’m looking for - although I’m not really sure what I am looking for :confused:

We got one of the ducks on offer from the Co-op to use for Sunday roast today. I have bit of meat left on the carcass and also it came with the giblets so i also have these.

Is there any soup that I could make from making a stock from the carcass and giblets? Any recommendations? How long do I need to boil/cook the carcass and giblets for and with what to get the stock.

From reading other duck threads people recommend making a stock but don't actually say what to do with it (unless I’m being incredibly dense? :confused- hence the reason for asking.

Lookng forward to all suggestions
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • misskool
    Carcass (with whatever meat is there if you can't be bothered to take it all off) + giblets + onion + carrot + celery. Pop it all in a pot and add water. Bring it to boil, and simmer for 2-3 hours.

Skim the fat off if you want when it's done. Add soup mix, some sweated onion and carrot, potato and bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes and duck broth. Or take the stock, turn it into a base for broth with noodles. In a bowl, some rice noodles, then some bean sprouts, then a few strips of omelette, (some chilli and spring onion if you want) and ladle over boiling duck broth. A drop of sesame oil and a touch of sesame seeds makes it lovely quick easy supper.
    • julieq
    • By julieq 10th Jan 10, 7:25 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    julieq
    I'd probably avoid using the liver from the giblets, it can make the stock bitter.

Otherwise duck ham and pea soup is lovely.
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 10th Jan 10, 7:43 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Could I make the broth by leaving the carcass and the giblets in the slow cooker so it's cooking whilst i'm at work and can be ready when I get home :confused:
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 11th Jan 10, 8:44 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Just pinging this one back up as i'm at home today due to the snow and wondered if anyone may know about doing this in the slow cooker?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

3,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin