Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Counting_Pennies
    • By Counting_Pennies 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 3,773Thanks
    Counting_Pennies
    mulled wine recipe?
    • 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    mulled wine recipe? 27th Oct 06 at 10:33 PM
    How can I get the most delicious mulled wine without adding any other alcohol other than red wine?

I plan to put in a sachet of mulled spices that I already have

With peelings of Oranges and Lemon and a cinnamon stick broken in half.

Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks
Page 1
    • dronid
    • By dronid 27th Oct 06, 11:35 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    • 27th Oct 06, 11:35 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 11:35 PM
    Probably some sugar. It'll be quite tart without it. You're normaly supposed to put in some Brandy but water or a little juice should be able to stand in for that. Just remember not to boil it - it'll need a simmer. If you have the sachet of spice mix the box should have instructions on it.

Enjoy!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt 7000 - loan. And a 4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
  • Whistling Gypsy
    • 28th Oct 06, 12:16 AM
    • 28th Oct 06, 12:16 AM
    I saw this thread and got a bit ahead of myself - but Dronid has it covered . Nowt else to say......................go for it!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
    • dlb
    • By dlb 28th Oct 06, 7:13 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 22,017 Thanks
    dlb
    • 28th Oct 06, 7:13 AM
    • 28th Oct 06, 7:13 AM
    If you have a old slow cooker, make it in that, i kept my old one when i got a bigger family sized one, and i use it ever xmas for mulled wine.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • scuzz
    • 28th Oct 06, 1:00 PM
    • 28th Oct 06, 1:00 PM
    Try using cider instead of red wine - yum!!!
    • lisa26
    • By lisa26 12th Dec 09, 3:36 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 7,667 Thanks
    lisa26
    • 12th Dec 09, 3:36 PM
    Mulled Wine Recipe?
    • 12th Dec 09, 3:36 PM
    Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for mulled wine? OH and I are planning our own little xmas party for xmas eve night as we're having our xmas day with our own parents. I'd like to make some mulled wine in the slow cooker to help with the festive spirit!!
  • Merrywidow
    • 12th Dec 09, 4:38 PM
    • 12th Dec 09, 4:38 PM
    Dear Lisa26 - My tried and tested recipe is to buy a couple of bottles of Mulled Wine in Tesco. Most other s.markets do them at this time of the year. They are cheaper than a regular bottle of wine. I have a recipe or two in my cookbooks and will get back to you tomorrow, I have a full night planned staring at the box, Strictly, X factor and so on. But trust me, the Tesco stuff is good.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S MOB

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 12th Dec 09, 5:34 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    • 12th Dec 09, 5:34 PM
    • 12th Dec 09, 5:34 PM
    No, make your own! Cheap red wine x 2 bottles, add a carton of orange juice, some cinnamon sticks (you can reuse these) and either some loose cloves or spike some cloves into a bit of orange peel and enough sugar to taste. Heat it gently and serve. Lovely!
    Piglet
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 12th Dec 09, 9:28 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 12th Dec 09, 9:28 PM
    • 12th Dec 09, 9:28 PM
    Yes! Did it in my rice/slow cooker too!

http://arkonitebento.net/2009/12/11/a-new-use-for-my-rice-cooker/

As the wine sits, add a little hot water, it dilutes it slightly and makes it taste better.

Enjoy & happy holidays xx
  • MessyTessie
    If you want a change, try mulled cider, it's really lovely and went down very well at the schools fireworks evening (I made 6 litres) make the same as wine and it doesn't matter if you use the cheap cider as no one can tell the difference with the spices added.
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 13th Dec 09, 4:27 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    this is mine
    half pint of water, 2inch cinnamon stick, 4oz sugar, 4cloves, lemon, orange. Bring to the boil, turn off and leave for 10 mins, add bottle of red wine, heat but do not boil. Strain, then add slices of orange to float, drink and enjoy.
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 13th Dec 09, 10:46 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    If you want a change, try mulled cider, it's really lovely and went down very well at the schools fireworks evening (I made 6 litres) make the same as wine and it doesn't matter if you use the cheap cider as no one can tell the difference with the spices added.
    Originally posted by MessyTessie
    If you make mulled cider (which is lovely), pad it out with a bit of apple juice!
    Piglet
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 13th Dec 09, 5:08 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Warm your cockles with Jamie's recipe. He makes a spiced syrup first, which means that you infuse the spices, then add the wine, so less off the alcohol evaporates

I'm making mulled cider this year, from HM cider (made with HG apples) and floating small HG eating apples in it It'll cost me very little

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • BexInLondon
    I chuck a couple of star anise in mine too!
  • LegalBlonde
    Please bear with me. I am chuffed with the idea of mulled cider - my OH doesn't drink wine and it is just the two of us this Christmas. We have had 2 Christmases together with me cooking but I have got a lot more inventive with cooking and money saving over the last year so really looking forward to it.

Does anyone have a mulled cider recipe, or do you just substitute it for wine - I have never made mulled wine before what recipe would people suggest?? Thanks
  • sazzy6
    Mulled wine on limited ingredients
    Hello, I saw a recipe posted on here the other day on how to make mulled wine but I can't find it now - :confused:

I have a bottle of cheapish red, a carton on orange juice, ground mixed spice, ground cloves, whole cloves, whole nutmeg, ground cinnamon and mace (not too sure if any or all of these are any good but they when in my mincemeat so must be kinda christmasy! LOL)

Is it possible with these things to make a nice mulled wine, I want it to be good but I really can't be bothered trailing out in this weather to get any more things tonight!

Also I am making this just for me and I obviously can't drink it all so is it possible to re-heat tomorrow when more people come around or should I make just enough for a few glasses?
  • sazzy6
    Should also say I have brandy, a rather manky looking orange and 2 lemons :0)
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 22nd Dec 09, 6:24 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    What you've got is fine. We use whole cloves and cinnamon but mixed spice might be nice as well. I'd probably use half the orange juice if you've just got one bottle of wine oh and bung some sugar in it as well to sweeten.

You can reheat it we often do, it gets a little bit cloudy after day one but it tastes fine.
    Piglet
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 22nd Dec 09, 6:25 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    Ahh you can bung the brandy in as well, I think my sister does this with mulled wine.
    Piglet
  • sazzy6
    Excellent! How please keep in mind I have NEVER made this before. When you say bung in some cloves etc... I might need a little more help!

A teaspoon of each spice? Also does it mean you get a mouthful of powdery stuff?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

2,584Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin