Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 27th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you want them sacked?
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you want them sacked? 27th Oct 06 at 4:03 PM
    Imagine a call centre operator has inadvertently given you the wrong info costing you £100. You call them to complain and they explain they're already on a final warning and will lose their job if you process the complaint to get your money back. What would you do?

Click reply to enter the money moral maze

Please remember, please be polite to other MoneySavers, even if you disagree with them

PS. And just to confirm this is an entirely hypothetical situation. Each week in the email I will be asking those questions. And yes, the lack of detail, the phrasing, all of it is deliberate to envoke debate (nice debate too). Enjoy the money moral maze.

Last edited by MSE Martin; 31-10-2006 at 9:35 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 27th Oct 06, 4:14 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Twopints
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:14 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:14 PM
    I would process the complaint on the grounds of the initial problem and the lost 100, with attempted emotional blackmail thrown in.
    • lidlest
    • By lidlest 27th Oct 06, 4:15 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    lidlest
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:15 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:15 PM
    Imagine a call centre operator has inadvertently given you the wrong info costing you 100. You call them to complain and they explain they're already on a final warning and will lose their job if you process your complaint to get your money back. What would you do?

Click reply to enter the debate.

(And please remember the be polite to other MoneySavers, even if you disagree with them).
    by MSE Martin
    I believe all people should be competent in their jobs, and that even if you are not good at one job you will good at another. I was a rubbish shelf stacker, a very poor salesperson and my time at the ice cream !!!!!! was laughable (sacked from there). However, i'm a good teacher, everyone has their niche. I would feel a bit bad for them, but they shouldn't be on their final warning. I work hard for my money so yes i would process my complaint.
    • JWM
    • By JWM 27th Oct 06, 4:17 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    JWM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:17 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:17 PM
    As above, the Call Centre employee is not a friend, if they can't do their job properly then they deserve to lose it.

That's life.
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 27th Oct 06, 4:20 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:20 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:20 PM
    I don't think its relevant apart from being emotional blackmail. I would also be inclined to doubt that it was true. I would pursue the complaint
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • K9cuddles
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:21 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 4:21 PM
    yeap.. I would still complaint. To be on DP the company would of had various "issues" with the person anyway.. your complaints would just be the cherry on the cake!

They would of been set numerous targets etc to fix there battered path, if they haven't made the effort to improve, then it's obvisouly not the job for them anyway!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + 280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • SaraSeahorse
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:11 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:11 PM
    how do you know they are not lying?

If you are out of pocket for 100 pounds and they have made error then it is tough - unless they want to keep their job so badly they will send you 100 pounds? only kidding!
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • jonathon_hart
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:12 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:12 PM
    Definitely still complain. I don't want to be dealing with people who keep mucking up...!
    I have worked for 5 years as a Pension Administrator and then a further year in a non-administrator pension role. I am not (and never have been) an adviser. Do not take anything I say as advice, it is information given on the best of my knowledge.
  • kenshaz
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:17 PM
    • 27th Oct 06, 5:17 PM
    I would withdraw my complaint,I would rather be a descent human-being.I could never be that ruthless,if a person recognizes that they have made a mistake and learns from the mistake,that is OK with me.I know of quite a few colleagues who found it difficult at the beginning ,but went on to be successful professionals.
    Last edited by kenshaz; 27-10-2006 at 5:25 PM.
    To be happy you need to make someone happy.

• hjb123
    • By hjb123 27th Oct 06, 5:21 PM
    • 31,617 Posts
    • 1,306,619 Thanks
    hjb123
    I would definately still complain - after all £100 to me (and any moneysaver) is alot of money.

If the person is on a final warning then maybe they should think about a career change as they clearly arent cut out for the job they are currently in.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 27th Oct 06, 5:22 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I agree with all of the above points: we should not be expected to lose out as a result of other peoples' incompetence.
  • looby75
    I would complain. It might have cost me £100 but if they are already on their final warning chances are they will have cost other people money too. Someone like that does need to be either retrained or sacked IMO.

I would still feel totally guilty for doing though!

• annie-c
    • By annie-c 27th Oct 06, 5:26 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    As a manager of staff, I make judgements based not just on the behaviour and therefore, the mistakes of my staff, but also on the way that they deal with those mistakes. I would not necessarily sack someone over the matter of a problem resulting in a £100 loss. But I would take a very dim view of someone who tried to cover a problem up or pass the cost of the mistake onto an innocent party.

The operator in this scenario has made (at least) 2 mistakes - the original mistake of giving poor advice AND the more serious mistake of not taking responsibility for his/her behaviour. What else might he/she have tried to cover up? If I don't report this, who will be ripped off next and for how much?

I'd feel bad - but I'd report it.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 27th Oct 06, 5:27 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I would complain. £100 is alot of money.

How many other people have they caused to loose money?

If they are incompetent at their job and it is costing innocent people money then they should be sacked.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • itsmylife
    Well if they are on their final warning, obviously they have made a mess up somewhere before - if you don't complain this person will still have the opportunity to do the same again to someone else, possibly costing them more money. Therefore I would complain.
  • ukdrummajor
    for me its not about getting someone sacked.........i would just want my money back. What the company do afterwards is none of my business. But my money is.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 27th Oct 06, 5:33 PM
    • 26,422 Posts
    • 35,868 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I'd complain as its so easy to make the excuse that they were on final warning. Theres no guarantee that its true so they are playing on your good nature to get you to forget the money.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • stugib
    • By stugib 27th Oct 06, 5:47 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    stugib
    Personally I'd continue with the complaint, but I guess it comes down to how much £100 means to you.

Would you lose someone their job for sake of 50p? For £1000? Everyone will have their limits on balancing what they've lost v. their guilt (if they feel it) of losing someone their job, depending on their own circumstances.

But then again, as others have said, they've obviously made mistakes before if they're on a final warning, and will only be a matter of time before they're sacked anyway, so why should you lose out at all? It's not your decision to sack them, it's their bosses based on a longer time than they've been dealing with you.
  • Frell
    So they are on the final warning that is of no concern of mine 100 quid is hell of a lot cash. I dont do blackmail so wouldnt listen to none of it it would all full on deaf ears, they messed they pay the price thats they way of life.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 27th Oct 06, 6:29 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    !
    Imagine a call centre operator has inadvertently given you the wrong info costing you 100. You call them to complain and they explain they're already on a final warning and will lose their job if you process your complaint to get your money back. What would you do?

Click reply to enter the debate.

(And please remember the be polite to other MoneySavers, even if you disagree with them).
    by MSE Martin
    Martin - is this one of those 'hypothetical' questions , if you know what I mean, lol!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by 1,000.
    Overpayment to date : 310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    15.88 saved to date
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,690Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter