Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    zigzagzig
    disgraceful boiler cover .scottish power
    • 11th Dec 10, 7:48 AM
    disgraceful boiler cover .scottish power 11th Dec 10 at 7:48 AM
    Official MoneysavingExpert.com insert

If you have come here via Google and are looking for cheap boiler insurance, please also read our full Boiler Cover guide on the main website.

Back to the original post...

its day 20 of having no central heating. I've got scottish powers home comfort premium care - what a joke . had 4 engineers in total .1 no show . 1 who said he would return in a few hours , never did. no phone calls . the list is endless of a disgraceful service .I would advice anyone not to take out there boiler insurance . has anyone else had similar problems ? does anyone know if there is a time limit for boiler to be fixed? engineer No 3 was meant to be coming between9-11 today [the same one who ordered wrong parts on day 3 and failed to show on day 18 ] . Guess what no show . I phoned eaga he sub contracter] . They could not get hold of him . told they would phone me back with info , heard nothing . I've been in touch with scottish power customer complains since day 2 [ after engineer No 2 failed to return with a part ] . while they are nice and understanding , no real help. I just want to tell them to stuff the contract and get my own engineer in and send them the bill.
    Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 21-02-2013 at 2:41 PM. Reason: up date
Page 11
  • vimmz
    Scotish Power Boiler Cover cowboy firm
    Hello. I too have had shambolic service from the two bit company that is Scottish Power. I noticed that the flue was leaking condensation collected water in from a joint near where it goes out. Eng came out the following day after reporting at 10pm looked at it and went off to say he will order a part, week later I contacted them to check on the progress of the part, was told no one had ordered a part, they will arrange a part to be again ordered, this is now been 4 weeks since original report, not got anywhere by when constantly contacting them. eventually they turned up and condemned the installation. Reported to national grid to turn gas off. So now I have no heat or water or gas. Their answer its not safe. So no idea when they will turn up again. have been ringing them constantly but no good, their response for your safety. Please go elsewhere for boiler/central heating cover and do not make the same error of judgement as me.
  • Clareesutton
    Do not use scottish power home comfort!!
    They basically take your money for years then when you have a serious problem they won't fix. I took cover out about 4 years ago on a 2 year old boiler. My mistake was having a wolf boiler but at the time I never thought anything of it. They came out every year to service and even fixed a dodgy fan that had stopped the heating working. Was happy until December 2014 I contacted them because I couldn't get any hot water. They didn't turn up till January and at this point we are told by the engineer that they can't get parts for it. Now there records show we've been with them since sept 13. I've paid a monthly fee for them to be able to fix my boiler which they have done over a year ago. I asked them for my monthly payments back as they have been unable to fix it to be basically told to get lost!! How is that fair!!! It's also taken 3 months for them to give me an answer! The customer service is shocking. They are rude, unprofessional and basically thieves! I am going to take this further but if I stop one person from using their shocking home comfort service I know I'll be saving someone from the same stress and upset that we've had to go through. Please DO NOT USE SCOTTISH POWER HOME COMFORT! You will end up disappointed !!!128546;
  • jay1962
    Isle of wight
    If you live on the Isle of Wight, trust me, stay well away from this service.
    You have been warned!!
    • strawie99
    • By strawie99 24th Jun 15, 12:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    strawie99
    Just wanted to share my experience as well as i am sooo angry
    I reported my boiler breakdown on the 17.06.15 as i did not have any hot water.
    Scottish power advised that an engineer will visit my home on the 18.06.15.
    An engineer did come and confirmed that new parts will need to be ordered. He left with just doing an inspection.
    On friday 19.06.15 Scottish power called and confirmed that the parts will not be ready until over the weekend and an engineer will come on Monday am.
    Monday 22.06.15 the same engineer came to my home and replaced the parts that were originally ordered. After this he now said that he needs more parts as the boiler still does not work even after what he replaced.
    After his visit at around 9.15pm there was no cold water running through the cold tap in the bathroom and then there was no water feeding into the toilet to flush the waste. I visited my water company website to see if there was a problem in the area to which there was nothing.
    I then called Scottish power back on the 22.06.15 at around 9.30pm who then contacted the engineer who was dealing with my case to call me back which he did around 9.55pm. The engineer asked if i can get a spanner & a screwdriver to turn on the cold feed within the boiler. I said no and hang up the phone.
    I called Scottish power back again on the 23.06.15 in the morning to explain the new situation that was created after the engineers second visit and they advised that the parts were still yet to arrive, a complaint has been put through and they still cannot contact the area manager to arrange for the boiler to be fixed. After a few more phone calls on the 23.06.15 they arranged for another engineer to visit my home at 6.00pm. When this new engineer came he confirmed that the parts that were changed were unnecessary and he will speak to the main office as he thinks this should be fixed asap. He did go into the loft to check the tank and after his inspection he said that the company should fix all that has gone wrong and he would ask to do the job asap.
    I called back Scottish power on the 24.06.15 at 8am & 11.20am and they confirmed they still cannot do anything as the parts have yet still to arrive and they cannot do anything to fix my hot water or the water feeding into the toilet or cold taps. I have gone without hot water for 7 days and my toilet not flushing for 2 days.
    Is this normal service???
    • mrnkar
    • By mrnkar 11th Sep 15, 12:13 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mrnkar
    What have I done
    I have been with Scottish power for years so in October last year I decided to take out their home comfort boiler care. Waiting for my pack which never arrived, I discovered they had the supply address wrong so contacted them in December, they said they would correct it, still hadn't received pack in January so checked online, supply address still wrong, phoned again to be told they would sort it. Same story so in April contacted them through the website, told I would be contacted, didn't happen, sent another one in June saying I wanted to cancel, same story someone would contact me.
    Today I phoned again & have got it sorted with a new contract for the correct address, but after reading comments regarding their service & repairs maybe I should cancel. Trying to get a refund on original contract as I have not received any checks or service of boiler since starting it. Think it will be a long haul.
    • Chodders
    • By Chodders 23rd Dec 15, 7:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chodders
    Hilarious incompetence from Scottish Power boiler engineer
    Having been a customer of Scottish Power's 'Homecomfort' policy for over a year without a claim, they visited me three days before Christmas on 22/12/15 for their annual boiler inspection.
    10 minutes into the inspection, the engineer knocked on my door (the boiler was in the garage) and informed me that he had some bad news for me. He had discovered a tiny hole in the outer casing, caused by rust (he thought), which meant, the boiler had to be condemmed as unsafe and dangerous. Not only that, but he had to disconnect the gas supply to it and I was to be 'kicked-off their policy!
    When I explained that there was no way that I would be able to get someone to fit a new boiler before Xmas that me and my family would be without heating and hot water over this period, he just looked at me as if to say, it's not my problem. When I suggested he tape over the tiny hole and I appealed by phone to his supervisor, I got nowhere. I then said I would not give him access to my gas meter, to which he retorted that he would, in that case, contact the emergency services and if I didn't let them have access, they would 'dig up the road' and isolate all the gas into my house which would mean no gas to the cooker or gas fires!
    I had no choice, therefore, to watch him cut the pipe to the boiler and cap it before placing a big red sticker on the boiler saying 'IMMEDIATLY DANGEROUS---DO NOT USE'. Shivering with cold and fearing a cold Xmas with no hot water I phoned as many local gas firms as I could and eventually was able to get one to agree to come over for a second opinion.
    Imagine the mirth and hilarity, not to mention anger and relief on my part when the engineer explained that the hole was actually part of the boiler's design and was there to act as drainage for condensation and the only thing missing was a little screw to block it until it was needed!!!
    I then had to watch a proper engineer re-connect the boiler which I had been forced to watch being disconnected by a Scottish Power charlaton 7 hours previously. On top of that, I had to part with £50 for the privilege!!
    The annoying aspect of all this, is that what if I had been a little old lady living on her own? Who would have looked after her? It's okay condemming a boiler for a good reason, but Scottish Power being a big nation-wide energy company should at least be able to call on one of their suppliers/contacts to fix the boiler or install a new one to ensure the householder is not just left high and dry (and freezing) in the middle of winter especially just before Xmas!
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 23rd Dec 15, 8:40 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    LABMAN
    I do sympathise, I have a 40 year old boiler that I can buy any part for but I know if I let anyone 'qualified' near it that it will be condemned. I myself have replaced the most expensive parts twice in the last 20 years. £65 and then £85 (it's now £100). Heating including 24/7 hot water and cooking cost us £12/week so I will continue with DIY however illegal. CO monitor remains silent BTW.

My MIL in the last 20 years has replaced her old boiler on advice twice at a cost of ~7k...madness!
    • mr_bee
    • By mr_bee 23rd Jan 16, 3:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_bee
    Just to add to the general theme, here is my tale of woe, but in summary STAY WELL AWAY FROM SCOTTISH POWER, THEY ARE USELESS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABYSMAL....

Registered a Home Comfort scheme online (in November).....it didn't activate because the bank direct debit didn't process, no notification, no contact, took endless calls to sort it out over the phone but eventually I set up the contract in mid December (on behalf of my elderly mother).

Earliest date we could get for a boiler inspection (preceeding a service) was this week, all good, they'd already taken a direct debit out of my account and sent the welcome pack directly to my mother's address, and spoken to her to confirm the address and time.

This week I receive a text saying their engineer is on their way and will be there in an hour. No show; my mother rang them to be told that the service plan address was incorrect and that the contract is cancelled....goodbye. I eventually got in touch with their customer services (took forever) and was told that the service plan address was in East Ayrshire (well away from Cheshire), the mistake was by the sales team and that I need to raise a complaint ticket against the sales team and cancel the service plan and take out a new one......I asked a basic question, if you've sent the welcome pack to the correct service plan address, how can you have the wrong address on they system......no answer, just lots of hostile answers back and passing me on to a new number.

Speak to the complaints team, three times a day for a whole week, to be finally told that the only way to resolve it is to cancel the contract and set up a new one, but would have to wait for another 3 to 4 weeks for the boiler inspection....I gave up, goodbye Scottish Power, I will never use you for anything and pass on the bad news to every person who ever mentions taking out boiler cover......
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 23rd Jan 16, 4:01 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    I then had to watch a proper engineer re-connect the boiler which I had been forced to watch being disconnected by a Scottish Power charlaton 7 hours previously. On top of that, I had to part with £50 for the privilege!!
    Originally posted by Chodders
    In response to your post:
    This practice is not limited to Scottish Power. A British Gas Homecare engineer tried the exact same practice on me.

They condemned my boiler by (in my opinion) faking an carbon monoxide detection (my own detector sensed nothing). They then claimed that due to it's age they could not get spare parts, and even if they could, the parts that needed replacement were inaccessible due to the boiler design.

I then did the same thing as you:

Instructed a local engineer to come and give a second opinion/attempt repair. They accessed the parts required for checking in a few minutes. They did not look like they needed replacement but it was done anyway.

The parts were still available as it was a generic rope seal. Nothing Special.

A full test was done with no carbon monoxide detected.

I then wrote a complaint letter to British Gas who refunded me the cost of the repair by the Independent Engineer.

I suggest you do the same!
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 23-01-2016 at 4:03 PM.
    • Ron Bowden
    • By Ron Bowden 31st Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ron Bowden
    Not a happy bunny!
    I, rather foolishly as it now turns out, recently signed up for SP Boiler Cover. Last Wednesday an engineer visited for an initial inspection and service and declared everything OK.

The day following his visit the boiler began to make a loud thumping type noise every few seconds and fearing an explosion or to a lesser extent damage to the boiler I switched it off and contacted the emergency number.

I was not impressed when they said they would arrange for an engineer the following week. After some raised vocals by myself they then arranged for a visit the following day.

On Friday the engineer visited, inspected the boiler but was unable to replicate the problem. He made some adjustments and everything seemed fine. However this morning (Sunday) the problem returned with the boiler again making the same noise every few seconds and the noise appeared to be increasing intensity. Again it became necessary to turn it off.

I contacted the breakdown number again to be told a visit could be made on Tuesday. This was then bought forward to Monday and despite protestations on my part they would not move on this.

On both occasions that I have reported the problems I have been asked if there is anybody 60 and above in the house which is the case in relation to both myself and my wife. This was clearly not taken into account on either occasion and I'm left wondering why they bother asking the question in the first place.

Furthermore, on both occasions the operatives suggested that because I had chosen to switch the boiler off it was down to me that I had no heating. On the first occasion the operative even suggested I should turn the boiler on and put up with the noise until the engineer visited, stating "They will lock down if there is anything wrong" . I'm obviously not a qualified heating engineer but when a GAS boiler is making those type of noises only a complete imbecile would ignore it.

I thought I was paying for a 24/7 365 day service but according to their staff that only applies to access to their call centre.

All in all a bad experience so far although it pales into insignificant given some of the horror stories on here.

I!!!8217;ll wait to see what happens tomorrow but I!!!8217;m not holding my breath. I can see myself and SP divorcing in the near future.
    Last edited by Ron Bowden; 31-01-2016 at 5:46 PM. Reason: Typo
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 29th May 16, 11:35 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    travellerboy
    Scottish Power is a DISGRACE
    I took out boiler cover last October and yesterday made a request for an engineer visit due to a small condensate leak coming from inside the boiler. The engineer arrived promptly due to the fact that we are pensioners over the age of 70. When he viewed the boiler he made a derogatory comment that he did't like Glowworm boiler and had a problem with one earlier in the day.

Next thing too our astonishment he carries his tools and speedily heads for the door. I call their office and the engineer had told them they was no Gas Safety Sticker on the boiler and there was evidence that the boiler had third party interference.

I told them no one had touch the boiler, why would they when it was covered by insurance. No one was prepared to listen or send another engineer to confirm the previous engineer's lies!! They said they were terminating the contact and would record and investigate the complaint. What a way to treat a couple of pensioners leaving them without hot water or heating- an absolute disgrace.

The manufacturer's engineer called today and said the Gas Safety Sticker is only require on rented properties which yours is not so did not understand their problem. He took 45 minutes to resolve the boiler condensate leak costing me £179.

BEWARE Scottish Power will take your money and then run.
    I registered a complaint which I have little confidence since they were prepared to leave us without heating without a conscience. No matter what, this issue is not dead and will be taking the evidence further to the ombudsman.

I only wish I had been more diligent when purchasing the Insurance from Scottish Power and seen this website with all the complaints.
    People out there, Pay a little extra and get Valid Boiler Cover
    AVOID SCOTTISH POWER at all costs.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 29th May 16, 12:01 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    MABLE
    We have had BG Homeware 400 for about 5 years and wish I could find some fault with them but I can't. They have looked after us very well and the premiums are not a lot different from when we first took out the policy.

However thats probably because I never accept the renewal quote.
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 1st Sep 16, 3:12 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    travellerboy
    Following on from my compliant against Scottish Power they carried out a review of my case and decided they were correct in refusing to repair my boiler. I immediately made a formal compliant against them to the Financial Ombudsman.
    It has taken 4 months but yesterday was told that they have adjudicated in my favour and have instructed Scottish Power to pay me all our past Premiums and £100 compensation.
    Good result - Don't even consider Scottish Power they are a scandal.
    • KJJS
    • By KJJS 17th Jan 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KJJS
    Kjjs
    DISGRACEFUL

They have left my family without hot water since last Tuesday - a week ago.

Their so-called emergency numbers do not work. The Customer Services people have no regard or sympathy for their customers. The Ombudsman struggled to cope with the complaint.

Scottish Power failed to turn up to carry out an initial inspection and when the system failed a few weeks after the cancelled inspection they blamed me and stated that they would not have covered the boiler had they known there was an UNVENTED CYLINDER! Had they assessed that in the first place I wouldn't have taken out the contract and cancelled the previous one!

Pay the extra and find a professional outfit or reliable insurance / maintenance policy.

Shambolic Scottish Power Boiler cover! Shame, because they seem to be better at the general energy side of the business. Perhaps they have bitten off more than they can chew.
    • kimbomc
    • By kimbomc 15th Aug 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kimbomc
    Disgraceful.....doesn't even come close!!! DO NOT BUY BOILER COVER
    So, we were due our boiler inspection today and were waiting patiently for the knock on the door. None came but we did receive a voicemail from "Leon" who apparently had been knocking on our door for the past 38 minutes and not getting a reply. We said that nobody had knocked on our door as we were waiting for them to call. So, we have very good, very expensive CCTV plastered all over the front of our house which even captures every number plate that comes onto and off of the street. We confirmed that no one had knocked on our door, however, somebody, a big bald bloke in a white shirt and black tie did park up on our street, even got out, had a look at our cameras then proceeded to get back in the van. He sat there for a further 7 minutes and 9 seconds then pulled up around the corner on the next street while as it turns out he was speaking to my husband on the phone telling us that he did try to gain access to perform the inspection but no one was at home? Scottish power employs subcontractors in your area to do all the boiler repairs and inspections and there are too lazy to even bother knocking on the door to carry out the work. We have just told them to shove their boiler care where the sun doesn’t shine. Take my advice, tell them to do the same.

Tried reporting this shoddy outfit to Scottish power, guess what? Not interested
    • kimbomc
    • By kimbomc 15th Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kimbomc
    Disgraceful.....doesn't even come close!!! DO NOT BUY BOILER COVER
    So, we were due our boiler inspection today and were waiting patiently for the knock on the door. None came but we did receive a voicemail from "Leon" who apparently had been knocking on our door for the past 38 minutes and not getting a reply. We said that nobody had knocked on our door as we were waiting for them to call. So, we have very good, very expensive CCTV plastered all over the front of our house which even captures every number plate that comes onto and off of the street. We confirmed that no one had knocked on our door, however, a big bald bloke in a white shirt and black tie did park up on our street, even got out. His van registration number was EGZ 5779. He walked over to the next-door neighbour’s hedge, took a photo of their door then had a look at our cameras then proceeded to get back in his van. He sat there for a further 7 minutes and 9 seconds before driving off. He then pulled up around the corner on the next street while as it turns out he was speaking to my husband on the phone telling us that he did try to gain access to perform the inspection but no one was at home? Turns out that when my husband spoke to the guy on the phone and my husband asked to speak with someone higher as he was outright calling us liars, he said that he was the manager there’s no one higher than him.
    Scottish power employs subcontractors in your area to do all the boiler repairs and inspections and there are too lazy to even bother knocking on the door to carry out the work. We have just told them to shove their boiler care where the sun doesn’t shine. Take my advice, tell them to do the same.

Tried reporting this shoddy outfit to Scottish power, guess what? Not interested
    • Robeco
    • By Robeco 13th Dec 17, 4:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robeco
    Scottish Power boiler cover is NOT recommended! My parents who are elderly had no heating or hot water on Saturday, phoned Scottish Power boiler cover got nowhere! Nobody was available till Monday! They offered a credit to account,but that doesn’t help when it’s minus 5 outside! Eventually someone came on Monday, apparently fixed the problem,but it broke again,so had to go through the same process of phoning again! The engineer came today (Wednesday),and no sooner had he gone the boiler wouldn’t work again (literally 5 mine after he left). He said he had to order a part which would probably arrive on Friday but the boiler would still work!! So yet again Dad got on the phone to speak to customer services, same process again, somebody would contact them!!!! When we rang on Saturday we weren’t happy and wanted to speak to someone more senior, still got nowhere and got told we’d have to wait till Monday and there was nothing hey could do until then! So today you can imagine my parents frustration when the heating and hot water wouldn’t work again,AFTER the engineer had visited! I would not recommend Scottish Power boiler cover to anyone,the service is disgraceful and appalling so much so my parents are now looking at other options. Scottish Power however did offer a credit into account but then what good is what when it’s like minus 5 outside?
    • Sharon66
    • By Sharon66 18th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sharon66
    I agree I have been waiting since Friday for a part after my heating broke down. No phone calls by SP, I have had to do them all. Still waiting on attendance. Customer service is a disgrace, no follow up.
    • durbanboy
    • By durbanboy 14th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    durbanboy
    Another take of woe... Scottish Power Care boiler/
    Whats this?

Exclamation
    I'm in a similar position
    We've had cover for a few years now and when the boiler stopped working on the 27/12/17, we called them out and a engineer attended. He duly noted how good he was amf that he had fixed the boiler without requiring parts, therefore saving me from having my premium increased :shocked
    Inevitably, the boiler broke down again, and my wife called up as o wad at work and insisted the engineer returned that evening.
    Apprently he flounced through the door, declaring. "It needs parts, it needs parts"
    Anyway, cut a long story short, nobody turns up the 29th, I call SP on the 30th to complain, ask agent to call me back as line is bad..no call back.
    I then get a call from the Parts dept, who inform me that the parts won't be available until 04/01/18.
    So, with the prospect of no hot water and no solution from SP, I called a local plumber, who promptly fitted an immersion heating element to the. Hot water cylinder and then at least I could have hot water to cleanse myself (medical condition requring high levels of cleaning)
    The SP engineers leaves us 3x 2kw fan heaters to stop us freezing (note to all: having had the the house heavily insulated, walls and ceilings, it transpires that the inside of the house was actually colder than the outside ambient temp and that of inside the fridge :huh)
    The "Super Engineer" returns and shows me the corroded thermostat connection he missed 1st time around and replaced it with a new one, and we have heating.... It took 3 days to re-heat the house

So the case handler contacts us and acknowledges failings and offers £40. My wife advised him that was not acceptable and he should look at it again
    4 weeks later I contact them, receive an apology for not getting back tu us and an increased offer of £60, which in my opinion, is derisory. The case handler, Brian, stayed that is the full and final offer. I request deadlock and Brian has the almost perverse pleasure of telling me that Scottish Power Care Cover is an unregulated product so doesn't have an Alternative Dispute Resolution service such as the Ombudsman Services.

What would the legal eagles on the forum suggest or advise on using the Email Claims process

Cost incurred by me
    Plumber call out and fitting of immersion heater £200 (bought the part myself)
    Additional electricity consumption est £55
    Less Gas not used £18 rest
    Material detriment total £233
    Pain and suffering, incalculable, but lets be reasonable and say £67, just to round it up to £300. ( Am I short selling my issue, as it is not entirely about the money, but would hate to lose unnecessarily and incurr the good natured wrath of MSE'ers

PS AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. A good local plumber will cost you less in the long run based on the fact of paying SP £600 in total over 5 yrs and receiving poor service from them
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 15th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I'm fed up of them already and I've just started.

They dont put you on full cover until your system has been inspected / serviced.

Joined in December - received a letter saying they'd be in touch with an inspection date. Cover to start 1st February. Phone if I want to choose a specific date. I've phoned 4 times to try to get my inspection arranged, with no success. I havent been offered any dates at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,601Posts Today

6,817Users online

Martin's Twitter