Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour
    • 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour 26th Oct 06 at 4:03 PM
    Update Jan 2018. We started this Debt Free Roll of Honour back in 2006 and since then there have been some fabulously inspiring stories, which you'll see if you read below.

To read the most recent debt-free announcements click the double arrow above to head to the last page of the discussion

Back to Martin's original post...

---

Welcome to the Debt-Free Roll of Honour.

This is for Debt-Free Wannabees who are no longer Wannabees.

Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    b. Debts at their highest
    c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

And huge congratulations

Martin

PS Please no one else post - let's keep this a pure record of successes

PPS Please come back to let us know Debt-free No Longer Wannabes - What they did next" discussion to tell us what you've been up to."

Past Debt Free No Longer Wannabes (huge congratulations)

2016 TOTAL: 85

OxfordGirl, datlex, sentientpoet, austonic, muppets, NJS2016, Bipolar_debt, monz, ab_saver, Money_Muppet , retiredandskint, lambda, Princesssparkle, Onmyway2, Seasidegal58, QuietOne, Willowpop, daveg10, NewcastlePaul, eco farmer, SpekySquarehead, C&S, Gazza1964, naff123, pineconesjay, lsmcal1984, blu3sky, villemo84, mesci, Honeylife, Karma67, timefortea, chocoholic_chick, purpleposting4, dangerpowers, e4rub, starnac, Carviscocker, Fender4, dolly84, Brightspark87, hoglet121, Bored, devon-tony, mrsbee17, Tony_, stekka, Kate_fixing_it, Gladioli, HornetSaver, sistercas, Tiglath, moneycantbuyyouhappiness, RosaBernicia, Catwoman_2015, Baldybear, Muhren, please-let-me-be-lucky, gig11, skilly, heartbreak_star, Frith, CornishMaid, tizerbelle, Ronoir,
    takingcareofthepennies, Mysteek, Sillygal, laura84gr, medusasmummy, depressed_but_determined, Soph86, princess_pea, bookworm262, Hobbes1, glentoran99, NoStrangerToDebt, CapricornLass, Serafine, 2spicy, mc2705, AshB123, koselur, mothernerd, BrandNewStart[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

2015 TOTAL: 115!!

nannygladys, beckle_82, neuromancer, Alpedro, Aphidgirl, LotsToDo, stewby, Pepperoni, Squarehead76, nonnynonny, danant, DML1954, mrshughes86, Blinky2010s, Rachiedabbler70, Playing with Fire, katy_ann, lexbubbles, diamonds, andy1886, stiltoncheese, looby1975, shofer, Karb, kittypimms, Growurown, Want_to_be_free, crazy_cat_lady, David123456, FinallyGettingFree, malnuman, ShirePiskie, black cat, boring1, kremmen, BlueEyedGirl, antonia86, ice_babe, Apple Crumble, LittleDutchgirl, natsplatnat, her_welshness, dads_albums, supersavor, KONG, HomeAlone, kerryallc71, fredtheguava, xxxJOJOxxx, The Only Girl, uncreative, NeverAgain2, Penny Bridge, boot13t, lemanie, gree0115, cakeforbrains, hydrangea, Cynical Monkey, tripled, ShopaholicNumber1, Lwsi, CrazyKitten, Nargleblast, kirstle99, Polly Wolly Doodle, SMGee, D3P0, MissShoes, kb_soma, Chimping, StrawberryJam132, maria3104, happycrafter, bassitt74, Ratison, GingerFurball, Tammy2, NewlyFrugalMumof3, cottage_retreatist, boucho11, *zippy*, MNM2903, allydowd, joee, Zabki, 7roland8, naughtymonkey, babyplum, NorthernMonkey1, Time to face the music, melwright, Daerve, johnboyinsole, Ali-OK, thewalrussaid, kika, Skinnylatte, fevlo, Seanymph, Smedley, poohbear59, happybunny86, spot3, xxlouisexx56 , Idollic, hannah2010, MrWillyWonka, Getmeoutofdebt, powellypowelly, AlexLK, Laconic, cluckyhen, rising from the ashes, KirstyO

2014 TOTAL: 92

2013 TOTAL: 81

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 89
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope I am not being presumptuous but you might be talking about me? Anyway you prompted me so I have done it now
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Yes, I was

You & the lovely Millan
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 26th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hope I am not being presumptuous but you might be talking about me? Anyway you prompted me so I have done it now
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Glad I stopped by as was wondering if you had done it shouldn't you get an MF badge too?...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    Whats the badge badger called again?

ETA MSE Badger.
    Last edited by beanielou; 27-03-2018 at 8:15 AM.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 17,755 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad I stopped by as was wondering if you had done it shouldn't you get an MF badge too?...

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Not sure I know the process for getting badges but I would love a debt free and a mortgage free badge please
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    Calling MSE Badger

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 28th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 8,999 Thanks
    milann
    I've done it - I'm debt free......

Lightbulb moment - 2006 - I was in ICU seriously ill and was more worried about my debt than my illness....
    Debt at highest - I didn't total it as it was too scary for me - but well over £20,000
    Pearls of wisdom
    - don't set impossible targets that'll disappoint you if you can't meet them, endangering you to give up - keep moving step by step in your right direction
    - keep on the boards and support one another - but don't compare stories as we are all different
    - remember to make a life doing cheaper alternatives than before with the odd treat, not just debt clearing and accept life can get in the way sometimes - BUT DONT GIVE UP

My diary is Milanns life keeps getting in the way

My best moment was yesterday when I was in the same hospital waiting to go into theatre for another very minor op - I'd been debt free a few days and know I'm going on half pay as I've been off work a while. I can now accept and manage this although not ideal - but I won't be paying half my wage paying debts.....I thought back to 2006 and how worried about money I'd been - a different world and its good
    Last edited by milann; 28-03-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    I've done it - I'm debt free......

Lightbulb moment - 2006 - I was in ICU seriously ill and was more worried about my debt than my illness....
    Debt at highest - I didn't total it as it was too scary for me - but well over £20,000
    Pearls of wisdom
    - don't set impossible targets that'll disappoint you if you can't meet them, endangering you to give up - keep moving step by step in your right direction
    - keep on the boards and support one another - but don't compare stories as we are all different
    - remember to make a life doing cheaper alternatives than before with the odd treat, not just debt clearing and accept life can get in the way sometimes - BUT DONT GIVE UP

My diary is Milanns life keeps getting in the way

My best moment was yesterday when I was in the same hospital waiting to go into theatre for another very minor op - I'd been debt free a few days and know I'm going on half pay as I've been off work a while. I can now accept and manage this although not ideal - but I won't be paying half my wage paying debts.....I thought back to 2006 and how worried about money I'd been - a different world and its good
    Originally posted by milann

***Keep plodding***
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 29th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Congratulations on becoming debt free everyone ,I've just startec on my DMP and I've read this thread from start to finish,it's sooooo inspiring,I can't wait until I can post here,well done to you all xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,172 Total Now Owed = £16,458
    Emergency Fund = £450.00 Xmas savings = £300.00
    • pinkspideruk
    • By pinkspideruk 30th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    pinkspideruk
    So last month I paid the last installment on my DMP and I am now debt free (I waited until the payment showed as clear on my balance with the last debtor before posting).

I am now looking forward to starting to save! I've decided to save 50% of what I was paying to the DMP each month which leaves me with a comfortable amount to live on plus after a few months a decent amount of savings

Lightbulb moment: November 2014 my birthday and receiving only mail about debts!
    At their highest I owed just over £13k on loans and credit cards
    Debt Free Date: 20th Feb 2018
    Pearl of wisdom: dont be afraid to tell people no - like when they say hey we are off on a stupidly expensive trip to a xmas market before i would be like yeah im coming and just pay for it on credit but now im like sorry guys cant afford it right now but happy to meet at a house or go for some xmas drinks with you
    Forum thats helped was the dmp ones
    I didnt have a debt diary
    Last edited by pinkspideruk; 30-03-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Anything is possible if you believe

Jan 2015 - £13,000 Feb 2018 £0 DEBT FREE WOOHOO now to start saving
    • slm6002
    • By slm6002 10th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    slm6002
    I have done it - I am now debt free.

Feels very good to say this after so long of chipping away at it, little by little.

Now going to tackle the mortgage
    Me,OH, DD 12, DS 10, DD 7
    DFW Nerd 1103 Debt Free 04/18
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 17th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 27,815 Thanks
    StokieBecks

Please report

c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

And huge congratulations

Martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    I know I am not the most prolific poster on the debt free wannabe boards but I have scoured them daily for probably two years taking on all the advice of the wonderful posters. Too many of you to mention but there are some exceptionally knowledgeable posters on here who are a massive source of information and guidance to all on this debt free journey. THANK YOU ALL!

So I have done it! The last payment went today and the balance is already showing as zero on the final account.

A) Can't pinpoint an exact date for my lightbulb moment but certainly wanting to rent with my new partner in 2015 made me a lot more aware that I was in a hole. Lightbulb fully lit when I received a CCJ by default in January 2016 and the court didn't didn't agree to my monthly offer and instructed me what I had to pay a month - From there I addressed all my debts and started making payments to avoid any more court action. Was so disappointed in myself.

B) Looking at my records my debts at their highest were £13,562 - this included a £3000 overdraft, £3884 on a credit card linked to my bank, £949 on a capital one credit card, £1641 on a bank loan and the rest made up of various catalogue debts.

C) Last payment paid 17th April 2018. All accounts now showing online as zero balance

D) I don't have one pearl of wisdom but to everyone on the journey just keep at it, don't ignore the situation, that makes things worse not better, if you need advice, ask - there is always someone here who will be able to advise! Have a budget and stick to it, don't leave yourself short , you still have to have a few treats along the way and as long as they are budgeted for don't feel bad about it.. also don't compare your journey to that of someone else.

E, F and G). I didn't have a diary but read bits of others along the way , the whole forum was helpful as even though I don't contribute often, I read posts a lot and have taken snippets of advice along the way.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 6,211 Posts
    • 20,389 Thanks
    indesisiv
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment: March 2015
    b. Debts at their highest: £25,000
    c. Debt-Free Date: Mar 2018
    d. Pearl of wisdom: Leave some money in your budget to do enjoyable things if you can. Whilst it may add on a couple of months to your DFD it doesn't then feel such a hassle for years whilst you are paying it down.

First time I have been debt free since 1999, although I only recently started to deal with it. I have set up a new account with a standing order of £350 going straight into it for savings. This is less than what I have been paying on my debt payments so its a win-win, I have an instant savings pot of £350 a month, and I also have a spare £100 or so each month than I had before to be frivolous with.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    How come everyone else that posted on here got the debt free badge and I didn't
    Is it because it took me about 15 years to get around to having a lightbulb moment before actually paying it all off?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    How come everyone else that posted on here got the debt free badge and I didn't
    Is it because it took me about 15 years to get around to having a lightbulb moment before actually paying it all off?
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Because the badge badger seems to be on their holidays.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 28th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 18,359 Posts
    • 38,309 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment - October 2010
    b. Debts at their highest £17,648
    c. Debt-Free Date 22nd November 2017
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom. - Forgive yourself.
    f. Which forum threads helped you - Most of them in one way or another.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 29th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Shelbi
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment- mini spark 5th June 13, full ping- May 2017
    b. Debts at their highest- 21k
    c. Debt-Free Date- 1.03.2018
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.- keep going- even small amounts paid over soon add up& even if you fall off the wagon, jump back on and keep going.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you- all the debt free diaries helped
    f. Which forum threads helped you- the challenges, 1% grid, make £10 a day. but also other dfw sharing advise and support- that really helped.
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW): https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5556435&page=2 - last diary, i had a few attempts and diaries
    DFD-01.03.2018
    Save for xmas-£34/£365
    Emergency Fund- £3,000/£3,000 (revised amount)
    House Deposit- £1,020.52/£25,000.
    Jul'18- NSD- 5/20- Bring Lunch to work 6/20
    make-£5pd in Jul- £20.52/£155 Parcel 1/25
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 1st May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment - 16th August 2016
    b. Debts at their highest - £13,100
    c. Debt-Free Date - 1st May 2018
    d. Your one perl of wisdom - Communicate communicate communicate

Now not a single penny in debt, credit file looking way better with just one old default, a good Amex and VISA credit card all under control and £10k in savings. Massive weight off my shoulders. Best bit of advice, deal with stuff head on and communicate with those you owe money too. Far better to keep in touch rather than hide. Makes a world of difference to your anxiety levels.
    • buyhighselllow
    • By buyhighselllow 1st May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    buyhighselllow
    I paid off my mortgage 4 years ago age 46, even after having an extension to the house I doubled my repayments but not the term I completed my payments 6 years early.

I finally stopped taking out loans on our cars about 20 years ago and since them only buy when I have saved enough, keeping them on average 10 years.
    No Credit card debt.

Firm believer in living below my means, saving hard for retirement.

Any chance of a badge ?
    Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016
    • missile
    • By missile 3rd May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 9,684 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    missile
    Debt-Free no longer Wannabee.

Please report

When I got charged for being overdrawn
    £95,000
    c. Debt-Free Date
    Keep a spread sheet of your income and expenditure
    N/A
    N/A
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it N/A
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 13th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    I'm not debt free yet, but I hit a milestone of 50% and felt I needed to celebrate somewhere! I remember a thread in the past called the milestone inn, but couldn't locate it.

I can't wait to be here next year and join you all in being debt free. Well done to everyone who has achieved it!
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 2.4k personal savings --- Family Loan (3.6k paid direct + 3k in saver + 425.21 saver 2) 7025.21/ 10K paid 70.25%
    Extra cash made 2018: 927.93
    • Minx1986
    • By Minx1986 26th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Minx1986
    When I started to struggle month to month to eat, all the bills were being paid, but i was starving!
    £27,000
    c. Debt-Free Date
    TODAY - 26/05-2018 - The last payment of my consolidated loan, went today!
    Keep your income and expenses written down and try to plan fun things...and where possible use cashback sites/clubcard vouchers etc, to make those fun things happen. Get rewarded for treating yourself when hitting milestones and it will give you the strength to persevere!
    TOO MANY!
    TOO MANY! - Loans/Credit Cards/Thrifty Shopping
    g. No debt diary!
    26/05/2018 = I DID IT! I am DEBT FREE!
    Debts repaid since 06/02/2015 = £23,079
    Mortgage...forever!!!! - But who cares, when all I've ever wanted is my own place!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,097Posts Today

7,562Users online

Martin's Twitter