Cheap Porridge Oats vs Premium Brands

Lately I've taken a liking to Porridge Oats for breakfast. I've noticed that most supermarkets sell both premium brands like Scots and also own brand economy oats. Given that the ingredients usually only list 'rolled oats', is there any real difference? I admit I buy the premium brands at the moment, but will swop to the cheap economy versions if there is no real difference.

Does anyone know about these things?
SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"

Comments

• GRM
    GRM Posts: 645
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have them every morning with cold milk. Had Scotts, Asda value, Sainsburys etc. etc. - can't say I've ever noticed a difference.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The prettier the packaging, the dearer the product.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • thistledome
    thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    I buy the Co-op's cheapo saver Oats and I find the flavour and texture perfectly acceptable, but they do have more black bits and husk particles than the Scott's Porage Oats IMO. I pick them out whilst I'm stirring the porridge and it's mildly irritating, but not enough to make me lash out for Scotts. I do buy them if they're on a very good offer, but most of the time I stick with the Co-op's.

I think there is a definite quality difference in the size and texture of the flakes in some cheapo brands. I Didn't like Morrisons own value oats, I thought the texture was too fine. You could give the own brands a try, OP. If you don't like them, you can always use them to make Twink's Hobnobs :)
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • Thanks folks, that reassurance enough for me to have a go with some value brands. I know they are cheap, so it wouldn't have been a financial disaster trying them, but I would have felt guilty throwing them out if I'd not liked them. Cheers.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Not used them for porridge, but the Tesco Value ones are great for flapjack!!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ariba10
    Forumite
    If you do buy a brand that you do not like, you can always mix it in a bit at a time with what you do like.
  • I like porridge too, especially with fruit. For me it's not only about consistency but also about the sugar content. Some brands can have a whopping 50 % sugar content, especially the flavoured types :eek:
    Keep calm and carry on
  • ariba10
    Forumite
    If you buy the Porridge Oats there should be no sugar in them.
  • adsk
    adsk Posts: 255
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    More expensive oats tend to keep some of their texture when cooked. I use Sainsburys Taste the Difference and there is plenty of bite left in the oats when cooked whereas cheaper oats just end up like glue, but ultimately it's a matter of preference.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't honestly think there is much of a difference. I sometimes but Scott's Porridge Oats simply because the box reminds me of being at my Nan's as a kid (she used to have the Scott's brand all the time), but usually I'm happy with the Tesco Value Oats.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure