Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Oct 06, 1:53 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great Join Up And Save Hunt
    • 24th Oct 06, 1:53 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great Join Up And Save Hunt 24th Oct 06 at 1:53 PM
    What's it about?

Become a member of various clubs and societies and you can often bag extra discounts and exclusive offers. So what are the good ones out there - which clubs are worth joining and what are the best discounts?

An Example

Sign up to The National Trust and you get free entry to all its sites, free parking in its car parks and a 10% discount in some outdoor shops.

A family membership costs £54.75 a year when paying by Direct Debit, so visit five or more places and you can easily make your money back. The price of visiting Bodiam Castle, Emmetts Garden, Scotney Castle Garden & Estate, Clandon Park and Claremont Landscape Gardens is £64, so become a member and you'll be quids in.

What to do

To reply if possible include a link to the Club/Society, how much it costs, and what the discounts available are.

CLICK REPLY TO ADD YOUR IDEAS

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 31-10-2006 at 4:44 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • Edinburghlass
    • 24th Oct 06, 2:01 PM
    • 24th Oct 06, 2:01 PM
    Best one for all round savings is this club
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savingsgirl
    • 24th Oct 06, 3:22 PM
    • 24th Oct 06, 3:22 PM
    bless you Edinburghlass.
    I would recommmend joining the huggies and pampers clubs if you have a baby/toddler in nappies as they send you lots of money off vouchers. I always look on the back of food packets etc of clubs to join as I always get sent freebies and money off coupons
    Auntie Savingsgirl 24/9/06
  • merit_mark
    • 25th Oct 06, 8:41 AM
    Join in the most money saving way!
    • 25th Oct 06, 8:41 AM
    Take it up a notch - try to see if you can find membership cheaper at a partner organisations which gives reciprocal benefits! Youth Hostels Association - 10% discounts on outdoor gear etc as well as cheap accommodation (you can cook your own food rather than eating out when away). Membership in England Wales about 15pa, life 200 but join the Scottish YHA and it's 8pa or 80 Life and you can still use hostels in England Wales!! Believe similar is possible for National Trust but not sure about Huggies and Pampers Club . Same benefits - as an EU rule on discrimination now prevents organisations restricting membership to residents of a particular member country - so shop around on the web for memberships! An organisations own web-site should tell you who they have partner arrangements with too!
  • silverbirch
    • 25th Oct 06, 2:15 PM
    • 25th Oct 06, 2:15 PM
    If joining RSPB join at a reserve rather than online or by post as you get loads of extra freebies plus you get free entry to all the special events at the reserve you joined at for 12mths. You can still pay by direct debit so getting 3mths free membership as well. I signed up for family membership which is £48 regardless of how many children you have. I have 4 kids and they all came away with stationery sets, cuddly toys, filofax, badges and magazines plus me and hubby got a book each worth about £20. Membership also includes free entry to all RSPB sites and we get to go to all the special events free which include bat nights, wildlife photography instruction, birdwatching for beginners etc which would normally be charged for.
    2 coin savers club = 288
  • sallyholt
    • 25th Oct 06, 3:25 PM
    • 25th Oct 06, 3:25 PM
    I have joined the Ramblers Association for £25 pa (less for pensioners its £18 per couple I believe) and most outdoors clothing shops will give 10|5-15% discount on their goods. THe Ramblers Association also provides a guide which includes discounts on a lot of B&B accommodation.

When going on Rambles if you happen to be meeting at a National Trust carpark take your National Trust members card or sticker for free parking.

I have also joined English Heritage which is similar to National Trust and again this gives free entry to all the properties for the annual membership o around £65 per couple (better value for families and OAPs).

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 31-10-2006 at 5:55 PM.
    • xadoc
    • By xadoc 25th Oct 06, 10:35 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    xadoc
    • 25th Oct 06, 10:35 PM
    Annual membership conundrum...
    • 25th Oct 06, 10:35 PM
    Have been considering investing in the National Trust's Lifetime membership.

It's £985 for an individual, £1,190 for a couple... and £1,354 for a family (including limitless kids, it seems)

But, benefits as I see it for family membership for us are:
    • We're both 29.
    • We have no debts, no kids, are both gainfully employed, pay decent amounts into pensions, have used up our ISA allowances and paid off our mortgage.
    • There's reciprocal benefits for similar organisations all over the world and we like to travel/visit National Trust type properties.
    • Frankly the entrance fee puts us off going to NT properties at the moment (where's the logic in that!) but we'd be far more inclined to visit (trust me on this) if we'd already paid for it.
    • We do plan to have kids at some point.
    • How smug will we feel at age 75 if we're still fit and able and enjoying NT membership having paid for it when we were 29 (assuming the NT exists then!)?

Downsides
    • Apart from being £1,354?
    • Seem to need to actually have an address in the country it's bought in, so can't apply elsewhere - e.g. in Australia to get cheaper, so would definitely be the full £1354.
    • We get to be lifetime members of the NT at the grand old age of 30?! Street cred suicide!! But did we have any to lose?
    • Our kids would probably hate the National Trust (and us) forever.
    • If we died before we recouped the money we'd be bitter, but dead, so presumably wouldn't actually care/have more important things to consider...

Lifetime membership vs. individual/annual (nerd alert)

If entry to a NT property costs a (conservative) estimated £5 per adult in 2006, and the cost of NT entrance increases by an estimated 5% year on year, and even if we never have children and thus only ever pay entry for 2 adults each time...
    If we only visit 1 property a year we'd have recouped our money by age 72 (assuming we live that long).
    If we visit 2 properties p/a we'd have recouped our money by age 60
    If we visit 3 properties p/a we'd have recouped our money by age 54
    If we visit 4 properties p/a we'd have recouped our money by age 50
    If we visit 5 properties p/a we'd have recouped our money by age 47

If annual family membership, currently £54.75, increases similarly by 5% year on year (ignoring 'extra months' DD benefits) we'd have recouped our money by age 46.

So, the question is... have we bought lifetime family membership yet?
    Last edited by xadoc; 25-10-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 25th Oct 06, 10:49 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    • 25th Oct 06, 10:49 PM
    • 25th Oct 06, 10:49 PM
    You might do better to join the National Trust for Scotland - membership is a bit cheaper and you can still access all of the properties in England etc . . .
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 26th Oct 06, 7:39 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Clowance
    • 26th Oct 06, 7:39 AM
    • 26th Oct 06, 7:39 AM
    Personally we join the NT for a year at a time every few years. As we dont tend to visit the same properties in our area over and over again, but make an effort if we go somewhere new on holiday to see what there is , this works out relatively cheap.
    We have two kids age now 9 and 11, and since the youngest was about 3 have been visiting, they always enjoy racing round the grounds. It does mean that you have to rush round the house before they get bored though. But they actually dont really mind seeing different things, especially if the cafe is dangled as a treat.
    So I wouldnt personally go for lifetime membership, I dont think you would get enough use out of it, unless theres a car park you regularly use.
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • nightsong
    • By nightsong 26th Oct 06, 9:16 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    nightsong
    Personally we join the NT for a year at a time every few years. As we dont tend to visit the same properties in our area over and over again, but make an effort if we go somewhere new on holiday to see what there is , this works out relatively cheap.
    We have two kids age now 9 and 11, and since the youngest was about 3 have been visiting, they always enjoy racing round the grounds. It does mean that you have to rush round the house before they get bored though. But they actually dont really mind seeing different things, especially if the cafe is dangled as a treat.
    So I wouldnt personally go for lifetime membership, I dont think you would get enough use out of it, unless theres a car park you regularly use.
    by Clowance
    We've done this as well. IME, children up to the age of about ten are quite happy with the NT, as there are usually extensive gounds and icecreams available - we used to take picnics generally as my OH found the teashops infinitely depressing If you live near several properties or even just one very nice one, it can double as a local park For example, we lived in Sevenoaks. Knole Park is free anyway but we could go into the house. There was also Chartwell, Ightam Mote and a couple of other small places within a few miles so we got a lot of use out of it. Other parts of the country are less plentifully supplied, but it's still useful on holidays.

It would be an unusual teenager who would be seen dead at a NT property though.
    • Sui_Generis
    • By Sui_Generis 26th Oct 06, 9:31 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Sui_Generis
    Have been considering investing in the National Trust's Lifetime membership.

It's 985 for an individual, 1,190 for a couple... and 1,354 for a family (including limitless kids, it seems)
    by xadoc
    It IS worth it as I paid annual subs for 15 years before cancelling and I'd paid more than the lifetime sub by then.
    • katchambers
    • By katchambers 26th Oct 06, 9:45 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    katchambers
    Tesco Clubs
    TESCO CLUBS

If you have a tesco clubcard I suggest you join all 4 tesco clubs here:

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/clubs/

There is the Food club, healthy living club, baby & toddler club and wine club.

Even if you don't like wine or don't have a baby or toddler you can swap the vouchers here for ones you do want:

www.paidtoshop.co.uk

Or you can sell them on ebay, surprisingly they actually sell for several pounds each!

The vouchers are usually something like 50 extra points when you buy margarine or something like that. It is one of the best ways to increase your tesco points, and remember use your points on deals and you will get 4 times as much.

By joining these clubs you will get a mailing from each one every quarter and it will have a little magazine and about 8 different points vouchers for different products. You usually get around 300-500 points per mailing, which conservatively is 1200 points per club per annum and 4800 on all 4 clubs per annum, which is £48 in vouchers and £192 in deals. Even if you don't use them all it is totally worth it and it costs nothing to join, it is FREE.

Kat
    My darling boy born December 2011

• superteach38
    Youth Hostel Association is really good - family membership is only about £25 / year and accommodation in a family room is pretty cheap, depending on where you stay obviously. You can now pay for membership and accommodation with Tesco Deals Tokens, meaning you could have a break every school holiday without using real money!! Millets, Blacks and several other outdoors-y type shops give 10% discount to YHA members as well as days out places such as Tussauds.

Not sure where the price of £54ish for NT membership comes from, ours was close to £70 for family membership this year - we cancelled it as our kids are beyond the NT days out really, now.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 31-10-2006 at 5:56 PM.
    • mopsy
    • By mopsy 28th Oct 06, 5:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mopsy
    Life membership of National Trust
    I bit the bullet years ago in my 20s and have never regretted it - my life membership gets me and one other in free and I use it a lot. However children are a consideration as once they get to five years they pay an admission fee. My two are now 8 and 4 and if Dad comes out with us as well we end up having to pay for my son and after March 2007 will have to pay for his sister too. So I'm seriously considering investing in a life membership for one of the children. Though possibly I may be able to upgrade the membership...
    • mopsy
    • By mopsy 28th Oct 06, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mopsy
    PS Worth considering English Heritage life membership - which I also have. Biggest advantage is that children are free so my life membership gets me and one other in and any number of children. And English Heritage have more ruins, castles etc which my kids prefer. And usually the coffee's better too! Also entitles you to get into Scottish Heritage places and discounts on privately owned places like the Brighton Pavilion etc.
    • KleptisV
    • By KleptisV 28th Oct 06, 9:27 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    KleptisV
    Just wanted to say thanks for the 'Scottish equivalent' tips (YHA & NT)- this info is what the MSE boards are all about!
    • xadoc
    • By xadoc 29th Oct 06, 12:49 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    xadoc
    Suggestiontastic!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had considered English Heritage. It's a bit cheaper than the NT life membership for a couple @ £980, but doesn't seem to have as many international reciprocal benefits, and I'm less excited by ruins, although castles are good... and there's always the 'heritage open days' in September which offer free entry to lots of locations.

Same goes for NT for Scotland @ £1,110.00 which doesn't seem to mention reciprocal benefits abroad... only in Britain. I think we'd be highly likely to use NT benefits abroad so it'd be worth the extra money.

Sorry about the mistake regarding the NT annual family membership... I misread the NT site. The price of £54.75 included the direct debit discount (which you only get for the first year), the price is indeed normally £73.

Which means we'd recoup the cost of life membership after only 14yrs (age 43).
    Last edited by xadoc; 29-10-2006 at 12:52 AM.
  • purplemoon
    Scottish Youth Hostel Association
    You can also buy this (and English YHA) with Tesco deals, at the regular four times their value (200 points for the £8 SYHA membership).
    Last edited by purplemoon; 29-10-2006 at 11:54 AM.
  • Sarahsaver
    http://www.self-builder.org.uk/discounts.htm

self build association, discounts on building materials, energy saving lamps and so on...

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 31-10-2006 at 5:57 PM.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Sui_Generis
    • By Sui_Generis 29th Oct 06, 12:49 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Sui_Generis
    You can also buy this (and English YHA) with Tesco deals, at the regular four times their value (200 points for the £8 SYHA membership).
    by purplemoon
    Amazing OK that clinches it for me! How do you pay with Tesco points?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin