Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • angeluk69
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:22 PM
    I have quite a lot of days where no money comes out of my account at all, no bills no cash, nothing and i don't use any cash thats lying around the house either.

All my bills come out on the day that my husband gets paid, i pay the childminder on a friday each week anfd I do my shopping every sunday for the following week. I take a packed lunch to work ( i only work 3 days a week) mys sons school meals are paid for a term at a time, and make sure i am not idly spending money or wasting it by buyin what i don't need.

I have lists of what is in my cupboards and frezzer and make a list to take with me to do the shopping and I stick to it.

Since satrting on my dmp i have dramaticaly nreduced the amount of spending days, as I was spending for the sake of it. I was spending it cos it was there.

I have roughly 4-5 no spend days a week but when pay day comes round there is only 2/3 no spend days.
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 22nd Oct 06, 7:25 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:25 PM
    I have loads of no spend days.. basically where I get through the day without spending anything at all! Dh on the other hand.. *sigh*
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • lilac_lady
    i think a no spend day is a day when you don't hand over any cash or use use debit or credit card. My successful ones are when I don't go out!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• postingalwaysposting
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:30 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:30 PM
    a no spend day is a day when you dont spend anything that isnt budgeted for... ie if you pay a bill (budgeted) and then spend nothing thats a non spend day moozie is the girl you need

• Wonder_Girl
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:35 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:35 PM
    I count a no spemd day as a day where i don't spend any "pocket money" so days where my direct debits come out but i take my own lunch to work and don't spend any cash or sneak anything onto my debit card that wasn't budgeted for is still a no spend day.
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • southernscouser
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:37 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:37 PM
    I count a know spend day as nothing leaving my pocket or account!
  • postingalwaysposting
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:54 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 7:54 PM
    I count a know spend day as nothing leaving my pocket or account!
    by southernscouser
    theres always one that makes it difficult ~~~ ~~~

• Mrs Sparkle
    • 22nd Oct 06, 8:33 PM
    • 22nd Oct 06, 8:33 PM
    I don't have enough no spend days!
    Debt at highest May 2006: 27,472.24
    currently: 13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • moozie
    theres always one that makes it difficult ~~~ ~~~
    by postingalwaysposting

So true....

I think it's fair to say everyone has their own definition! My non spenders are days where I don't use any cash or cards. Any DDs or SOs are budgeted for so I don't count them.

Hope you find a definition that suits you and join the challenge
    Leason learnt
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 25th Oct 06, 11:06 AM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I give myself and bf "pin" money of 400 each a month. A no spend day is when I don't spend any of that out of my own account.

All bills and dd and such like come out of joint account, so they don't even concern me when it comes to "my" money!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 25th Oct 06, 11:28 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    I account for all Standing Orders and Direct Debits so a no spend day for me is one where I physically do not spend any cash, use my debit ot credit card or take any money out of the cashpoint.
    • xzibit
    • By xzibit 25th Oct 06, 11:37 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    xzibit
    I only spend money on fridays and saturdays usually. Apart form bills which all come out on the 1st.
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 25th Oct 06, 11:58 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    Imelda
    Hi all,

I count a NSD (no spend day) when I don't spend any money as I consider all my budgeted bills money and savings as "spent" on pay day. I don't have enough of these unfortunately...
    Also, the what have you spent threads are good for those of us who keep a spending diary as it acts as a "confessional".
    Saving for an early retirement!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 25th Oct 06, 11:49 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    A no spend day for me is not spending anything apart from the dd and so already calculated for. This means no online buying or telephone buying though even if you stay in all day. You could start with one no spend day a month if you find it difficult and then generally shorten the time until you can manage about 2 no spend days per week. Im a firm believer in no spend days-they have always helped me to budget. You could always fit them around your dds and sos if you realy want to be fussy.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • HazelEyes
    Interesting thread - another example of how wrong it is to make assumptions as I had assumed that we all understood the "no spend day" to mean the same. How wrong I was.
    My view is that the NSD is supposed to be motivational and help with curbing discretionary spending so I don't include DDs or payments to credit cards as these are budgeted and in some cases are overpayments so "a good thing".
    So my definition of a NSD is no cash spent, nothing bought with a debit or credit card, nothing ordered online. Had a great week last week with 5 out of 7 NSDs but would prefer to draw a veil over this week (2 birthday presents, lottery syndicate at work, friends over last Sat, family round for Sunday lunch = v. expensive week though everything is budgeted for and nothing was added to my debts; it's just that I have got used to having spends money left over at the end of the week and don't like the fact that have less than 1 in my purse until Sat when I next go to the cash machine for the weekly cash allowance.)
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 26th Oct 06, 9:41 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    My NSD is not buying anything, but DDs, and overpaying debts I dont think count.

i usually manage about 4 a week.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • elona
    • By elona 26th Oct 06, 9:48 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    I was going to have a no spend day but have just pre ordered some books from Amazon as Christmas presents. EEk

I did get a couple of them cheaper on marketplace or on deals though.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • bobbadog
    • By bobbadog 26th Oct 06, 9:55 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    bobbadog
    I consider a NSD a day where I don't spend anything unbudgeted for - so not including DD's or 'necessary' food etc.

Today hasn't been a NSD. Unexpected medicines for OH. Not a naughty day though, I haven't yet gone to the vending machine . I usually make 3 solid NSD's a week, sometimes 4. Once 7

• vyvyan
    As many of you have just mentioned I just count incidental spending as a spend, not budgeted stuff. For instance, I spent 10 on petrol this morning but as I budget 50 a month on petrol and I'm still within it (by 3.15) :rolleyes: , it doesn't count. Hopefully that's my last top-up of the month. If I need to go over the 50 I would count it as a spend though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

3,128Users online

Martin's Twitter