Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 16th Jan 06, 12:26 PM
    • 899Posts
    • 5,621Thanks
    Zed42
    how to clean net curtains
    • 16th Jan 06, 12:26 PM
    how to clean net curtains 16th Jan 06 at 12:26 PM
    Hiya,

In the past I've used Glo-White for bringing up my nets/voile ... just wondered if there was an OS way of doing this?

Thanks y'all.
Page 3
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Jan 15, 5:49 PM
    • 4,239 Posts
    • 9,321 Thanks
    Linda32
    I have ironed net curtains, my MIL thought I was bonkers just try on a low setting.

Ignore this if they are not just ordinary nets.
    • Loufos
    • By Loufos 4th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Loufos
    Reckitts crown blue
    Hi
    Like you I like to use the little blue block they come up so much better
    Just found on eBay and ordered them
    Hardware shop used to sell them but they've all gone now
    Go to the superstores and ask they look at you as if your mad
    So glad I found this site as I couldn't remember the name of them
    . .
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 16,468 Posts
    • 140,851 Thanks
    JackieO
    I always soak them in cold water for a bit to loosen up the dust first then chuck them in the washing machine ,its amazing how much grot gets stuck in them
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan 349.83 December new month spends so far 00
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,543 Thanks
    maman
    I was surprised to see a thread about net curtains then realised it's a very old one.

Is it still common to have net curtains? Is it perhaps a regional or generational thing?

I don't think anyone in my road has them. I'll have to go on one of my urban walks (aka being nosey) and check.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Aug 18, 1:40 AM
    • 25,293 Posts
    • 102,136 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I was surprised to see a thread about net curtains then realised it's a very old one.

Is it still common to have net curtains? Is it perhaps a regional or generational thing?

I don't think anyone in my road has them. I'll have to go on one of my urban walks (aka being nosey) and check.
    Originally posted by maman
    I reckon they're going to make a comeback, as most of us who abandoned the things have got blinds that are probably beginning to need replacing at vast expense - or have got fed up with people peering in to see what you've got in the front room/aren't keen on keeping the house in almost darkness/have got annoyed with the rising fuel bills and will be going back to curtains to keep their homes warmer in winter.

Our most expensive blind's mechanism has given up the ghost and, as it's a bay window with awkward bits of house preventing a straight swap (plus they're a discontinued type and size), it's going to be much cheaper to put up some nets and curtains than it is to replace them - and on the days when I clean the windows, the local ne'er do wells seem to be magnetically attracted.

I've got privacy film on the front door (offcut, 49p with free postage), but the main window is, well, huge, which makes getting pieces large enough no cheaper with zero insulating properties.

At least I'm hoping they make a comeback...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 6th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I have a huge expanse of Windows at the front. I've never regretted the cost of installing privacy film.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Aug 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5,606 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    Slinky
    Jojo we have nets. The ones with a little curve in the bottom so it gives a good level of privacy but you can still see out when sitting on a sofa. Our front garden slopes down towards the house so you feel like people are able to have a good look in as they walk past.

If you're worried about seeming fuddy-duddy, just be all trendy and call them voiles instead........

BTW this is a necro posting dug up from 3 years ago.
    Last edited by Slinky; 06-08-2018 at 8:57 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,419Posts Today

7,746Users online

Martin's Twitter