PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Draught Excluders

Comments

• Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sashacat wrote:
    thriftlady, do you mean a 2x4 piece of timber because I have some in the garage which would do, but I hadn't thought of it, I had it in my head that you started with a tube of fabric and stuffed it.

I think she means a piece of material 2ft x 4ft, not the 2 inches x 4 inches wood!

My mother used to make draught excluders from old curtains, pretty much like thriftlady.
  • sashacat wrote:
    thriftlady, do you mean a 2x4 piece of timber because I have some in the garage which would do, but I hadn't thought of it, I had it in my head that you started with a tube of fabric and stuffed it.

Yes, that was what I meant :D Hence my reluctance to have my boys hurling one around the house :rolleyes: :D
  • I use a pair of old tights that i stuff with newspapers or old bits of cloth. Not the prettiest looking excluder but very easy and good for starters until you can make a pretty one!
  • yeah just roll up a towel and wrap some of your curtain material around it and sew it up, then i you can either leave an old towel in there or pull it out and fill it up with old tights and newspaper then sew both ends up. personally i just roll a towel up and wrap it with some string, and chuck it on the floor then after winter it goes back into the bathroom!! ha ha
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • If you don't have the skills or materials for sewing and stuffing, Wilkinsons have draught excluders in lots of colours/varieties for £1.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Ooo - stuffing with carrier bags sounds like a brill idea beacause my backdoor leaks water as well as cold air - at least with carrier bags it shouldn't end up as one heavy sodden bag of rags. Hmmm, only problem is - how do I stop the dog from being tempted to have a good chew?
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • nicxx
    nicxx Posts: 52 Forumite
    I just made a draught excluder in less than 30 minutes by using an old scarf, folded in half and then stitched down both sides, stuffed with material (I'm using socks - but current ones so haven't stitched up the end yet until I get replacement stuffing!!) Very pretty as well! As the material had 2 sides as it were (a nice side and a not so nice side) I stitched it inside out and then turned it the right way round, gives a nicer "edge" as well. Simple but effective :)
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    I just made a draft excluder by laying DS1's tracksuit bottoms along the bottom of the door! What would Anthea say? (and am I bovvered? :rotfl: )
  • im going to make my self a couple of hm draught excluders any os ers out there have any tips ie fabrics stuffing to use unfortunatly the only fabric i have in the house is left over from making curtians in babys room and im planning on saving it to make matching cushions, so i'll have to go out and buy fabric for draught excluders but was planning on stuffing them with the filling from old pillows
    twins on board
  • Try these older threads:

How do I make a draught ecxcluder?

Draught excluders

IMO, it has to be in the shape of a sausage dog, complete with ears, eyes and tongue!

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport