Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 18th Nov 10, 3:29 PM
    • 560Posts
    • 1,709Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Sorting through my rubbish
    • 18th Nov 10, 3:29 PM
    Sorting through my rubbish 18th Nov 10 at 3:29 PM
    I have been lurking on this website for a few years now, mainly reading threads and posting occassionally. Started PADding (twice) and stopped (twice!). Avide fan of the OS threads - all hail the Stardrops

I have managed, mainly through being a shopaholic and a hoarder, to get myself in a real pickle both financially and in the house. My home is bulging at the seams with my possessions as well as those of my 3 kids, DH and our large dog! Something has got to give.

I have started the great declutter, many bags have already gone to the charity shop, some to the tip and lots of stuff ebayed but there is lots more to go through. I need the space in the loft so that eventually DS1 can move up there, but first I need the money from ebaying stuff to help clear debts so that I can fund the necessary building work.

And so it begins...my diary...2011 is the year I am going to attempt to clear my loft and one of my cc debts (the one with highest interest rate - I have been snowballing!). Going to keep grocery expenses to minimum, thankfully I am quite adept at making meals from what is whoopsied or on offer and the family are not really fussy eaters. Resist buying new toiletteries etc (bathroom cabinets are already groaning) and I don't really need new clothes or shoes and will keep to a minimum what I buy for the kids.

Anyone who wants to join me for the ride please feel free, I am sure it will be a bit of a roller coaster - my life usually isand any tips/advice gratefully accepted.

Wish me luck

REPAYMENT PLAN
    Barclaycard £7000 0% repaying at £300 pm
    LOAN £14000 £12032 - DFD September 2022
    Weightloss 13.9 24/10/17 13.0 24/11/17 12.3 27/02/18 11.04 07/06/18
Page 27
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 12th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Another cold, grey day here.

So DH cooked the cottage pie last night, which was great, but he is a nightmare in many respects, he used a whole bag of mince and went out and bought brocoli and brussells sprouts to go with it when we had both and other veg a plenty in the freezer! Very frustrating! If I had cooked it I would have used half a bag of mince, bulked out with grated carrot and some diced mixed veg and served with frozen green beans and sweetcorn.

Anyway not sure what is for dinner tonight as DH is cooking again, I did suggest the rest of the cottage pie but he wants to freeze it for another day! The weekend should be quite frugal, just me and DD as DH is working most of it. We have no plans for the weekend, I'm exhausted so will be glad to just get the chores done asap on Saturday and chill for the rest of the time, girly films, facepacks and chocolate! DD may have other plans!

Just realised that I haven't sorted out the basket of toiletries yet for the bathroom (ones to use up and get rid of). Will do that this weekend and also organise my stash of toiletries and cosmetics, getting rid of any that are too old or I'm not going to use.

I treated a friend to lunch today, a local retaurant has a winter special, all food half price so dead cheap and a nice excuse to catch up, £6.50 for two mains, tap water and a lime and soda! I've also ordered a picture from a friend you does up cycling, it will perfectly in our bedroom, bit of an extravagance but I think its worth it.

Spends today - £6.50 lunch for me and my colleague, £25 bespoke picture for bedroom.
    Toiletries used up - Bath foam, SBC lavender and hair treatment all used up last night so £3 in the tin
    Clothes budget £260+£40 birthday money = £300

- £13 (tapestry boots, N@xt sale) = £287

Take care

321 xxx

REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 15th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Well I didn't get my relaxed weekend, family health dramas which are ongoing, but can't be helped, life likes to throw problems at us.

We did eat up the cottage pie on Friday. Saturday I treated us to a Fake Away (£3.09 Indian meal for two from L!dls, we had two bags!) and yesterday I just did a quick Puttanesca due to being in the hospital all day. Not even sure what we will have tonight as my mind is all over the place to be honest.

Managed to get the chores done on Saturday luckily and watched a film with DD but didnt achieve anything on Sunday, will try and tackle toiletries during the week. More deliveries from Next but not actually decided to keep anything yet.

Spends today - None (and over weekend just bought groceries and flowers for person in hospital (they were £8.50))
    Toiletries used up - Dry shampoo, £1 in tin.

Got to go now, have a good day

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 17th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

We had snow last night but it's all gone this morning.

More deliveries from Next but due to hospital visits haven't had time to sort through them, hence no more to deduct from my clothes budget!

I made a chilli on Monday night and was going to have the rest last night but due to hospital visit (1 hour journey each way), the late hour and the snow I treated DD to a Subway, we haven't had one in so long it was a real treat. So I guess it's chilli tonight. We also have a hm chinese chicken curry in the freezer so that can be a quick dinner one night.

I have a long weekend this week which I really need as I am exhausted, not really sleeping due to stress and worry.

Spends today - None (yesterday I bought a sausage roll for lunch £1.05 and treated DD to Subway last night £10)
    Toiletries used up - L'0ccitane Verbena shower gel (travel size) £1 in tin.

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 22nd Jan 18, 11:53 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Hope you have all had a good weekend. I came down with a cold and cough just in time for my long weekend so spent most of the time sleeping or chilling, despite that I still feel exhausted today!

Had more deliveries from Next and sent a huge amount back. I do have a berry coloured padded jacket that I am thinking about, it is £30 but waterproof and warm, looks smart and fits well so I think it's a keeper. Desperately want some new ballerinas for the summer, ideally in leather but the ones I have ordered have been high cut at the front and make my already size 7 feet look even bigger! I have deducted the few items I am keeping from the Clothes Budget below.

Foodwise it's been a mixed bag. DH cooked us a lush steak dinner on Thursday, belated anniversary celebration. We had supermarket pizzas on Friday night and I had the leftovers again on Saturday, the others had Macaroni cheese and homebaked rolls. Yesterday I was feeling a tad better so made a cottage pie (all from stocks) and there is enough to feed us all tonight too. Tomorrow we have a homemade chinese chicken curry and naans all from the freezer and I think a stew on Wednesday as I am training all day (again I think there is a hommemade one in the freezer to use up). Thursday possibly a pasta bake which will also hopefully feed DH and DD on Friday as I am away all day until late evening.

I will need to buy some frozen mince, peppers and vegetable chips this week to replenish the freezer but not much else needs buying.

Spends - Thursday to Sunday - none apart from groceries and that was cheaper than usual as DH wasn't with me!
    Toiletries used up - Thursday - Sunday Palmolive Co-wash used up, £1 to pot
    - £13 tapestry boots, N@xt sale = £287

- £4 denim shorts, N@xt sale = £283
    - £8 cotton summer skirt, N@xt sale = £275
    - £4 navy camisole top, N@xt sale - £271

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 29th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog

Hi All

Well that weekend went far too quickly!

So there were a few changes to the meal plan due to DD having a friend to stay how is a somewhat fussy eater. Wednesday we had the stew (from the freezer), Thursday I made an masala curry, Friday I was away so DD made a large pasta bake as her friend was staying. Saturday I cooked the girls a KfC fakeaway and then on Sunday they had a pizza from the freezer and DH and I had tacos.
    Tonight will be a chinese chicken curry from freezer, tomorrow will have to be pasta as I have a meeting in the evening so need something quick.

Did a small grocery shop this week, a cheap one again as DH was at work! Just bought what we needed for DDs lunches, cookery lessons etc as we have plenty of other meals in stock.

I wore my new jacket on my jaunt up North on Friday, looked smart and was warm and dry so have deducted that from my clothes budget. I have also kept a lovely lace dress for a summer wedding we have been invited to, I tried it on and DH said WOW!!, absolute bargain as reduced to £14!! After me moaning about ballerinas, I have managed to get a lovely tan Clarks pair in the sale and have the identical black ones on order. so more big deductions from my budget but I am keeping to my mantra of quality, thought out, purchases and Clarks shoes are just so comfy!

Spends - Friday to Sunday - I have been quite reserved despite payday on Friday. Bought DD 3 items in the Cath Kidston sale (Total of £10), Saturday I bought a new dog bed £25 (old one ripped) and whilst doing my groceries shop picked up a water feature for £17, looks lovely in the conservatory.
    Toiletries used up - Thursday - Sunday Nothing used up but loads of items almost done.
    Clothes budget £260+£40 birthday money = £300, now £271
    - beautiful lace dress reduced to £14 for a wedding = £257
    - Clarks tan ballerinas £30 (half price in sale) = £227
    - Berry waterproof jacket (now I've decided to keep it!) £30 = £197
    Navy and White striped dress (very Boden esc) £7 = £190
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 30th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Beautiful day here but boy, was it frosty this morning!

So we had the chinese chicken curry last night, more space made in the freezer. DD is making a pizza at school today so hopefully that will do us all for tonight.

DD and I have our hair cuts tonight, just a quick trim for her and a tidy up and thinning for me, a friend does it so its fairly cheap and a nice time for a chat!

I still need to sort out my toileteries and prioritise those to be used up first, will try and do that tonight.

Spends - Yesterday- none
    Toiletries used up - Yesterday - Sachet of John
    Frieda Hair treatment and a sheet face mask, £2 to the tin. Bubble bath, face cream, serum and mascara all nearly used up!
    Clothes budget £260+£40 birthday money = £300 - now £190! (but I have got some nice quality, classic items and a dress for the wedding)

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 31st Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Bit warmer here today. Had a manic day at work, one thing after another but hope to get home soon.

The pizza DD made at school was lovely and surprisingly filling, fed the 3 of us easily! Not sure what to make tonight, I think DS1 and his gf are coming over so may make something for all of us (cottage pie maybe as we have the ingredients).

Didn't have time to sort through my toileteries last night, will try to tonight but with the kids coming over it depends what time they leave. I did count my £1 tin which I emptied on 5th December and there is already £30 in there, I was amazed, I have been trying to use up odds and ends and travel sizes but even so didn't expect to see that much in there. I will use that to order a replacement Balance and Brighten as I am halfway through mine with no spare.

No money spent again today. I need to keep this up!

321 xxx

Spends - Yesterday and today - none (apart from haircuts and they are budgeted for)
    Toiletries used up - Yesterday - None, the serum lives to see another day!

Clothes budget £260+£40 birthday money = £300 - now £190! (but I have got some nice quality, classic items and a dress for the wedding)

REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 7th Feb 18, 8:28 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    [SIZE="2"]
    Hi All

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days, been so busy both at home and work. Just realised it's over a week since I posted!

Anyway a quick catch up, food shopping to a minimum, used up some mince and already opened pasta sauce for spag bol on Monday, had the rest of the bolognaise sauce on jacket potatoes yesterday. Tonight I gave just done egg and chips (ham egg and chips for DH), using up stuff from the fridge and freezer. Sunday we had the kids over for a roast and used up some frozen bits left over from Xmas.

I finally sorted my toiletries stash on Friday, have given DD some bits and pieces I won't use and have put some other bits to one side for a dear friend. I have also had quite a lot of use ups, SBC serum, L'0ccitane divine face cream, shampoo, hair dye, and several more items on the last dregs! I have ordered a replacement for my Balance and Brighten, went for the Balance and Glow this time as on a good offer with a tube of spakle as mine is on its last legs. I am away this weekend so will take some travel size items to use up, mainly L'0ccitane.

[

Spends - today - sandwich and Snack a Jack's for lunch from £land - £2
    Toiletries used up - Yesterday - L'0ccitane divine cream, over last week - hairdye , SBC serum, pantene shampoo, SBC arnica shower gel = £5 in tin
    Clothes budget £260+£40 birthday money = £300 - now £190! (but I have got some nice quality, classic items and a dress for the wedding). No more spent - yet!!
    SIZE]
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 26th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    All change!

Hi All

Well its been a couple of weeks since I posted and my life has taken a sudden change.

My husband has decided that, although he loves me, he is no longer in love with me and will be leaving! This has come totally out of the blue, I thought we were in a good place. I'm in shock and not really thinking straight at the moment.

We have discussed money, I will be staying in the house for now and he will continue to contribute and also practically help with our daughter. He seems to have thought it all through which is unusual for him!

Good news is I think I may actually be better off, less food, less council tax etc.

That's all I have for now.

Take care 321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 26th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 12,710 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I am really sorry to hear that. Happened to me many years ago. Sending you hugs and you will get through this.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 26th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 8,008 Posts
    • 34,254 Thanks
    lucielle
    Gosh, I've followed you for a while but don't tend to post. Sorry to hear your news. We are here for you if you need to vent or want some virtual hugs.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 27th Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Thanks you Lucielle and Toni's Friend for your thoughts and wishes, weird to think anyone actually reads my ramblings and touching that you took time to respond.

I'm feeling stronger today, was low yesterday. He is still in the house which is awkward. I didn't for see this and certainly didn't want it but now that he has made this decision I just want him gone. He is going to look for somewhere to live.

It's not public knowledge yet but some really weird things have been happening, like old school friends reaching out and telling me I'm too good for him, without knowing the situation! All very strange and its making me feel that this is perhaps the right thing and life is pointing me in this direction for a reason.

Pay day yesterday, we've both put our share in the joint account to cover bills, I've popped some into my savings and have devised a strategy for managing my budget. I will top up my purse in cash to £100 every Friday after work, this is to cover food and everything for myself and DD, anything left at the end of the week will be put into short term savings for clothes, trips etc.

My food shop at the weekend was only £16, usually well over £60! DD and I are eating up what we already have, poached eggs on toast last night, we both really enjoyed it!

No snow here......yet, but so cold I kept the heating on all night last night.

Oh well must crack on, take care all

321 xxx

Last edited by 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog; 27-02-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 27th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 12,710 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    You'll have good days and bad days. Take each one as it comes .And you will find you have some really good friends - sometimes in the most unexpected places. Take care. xxx
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 27th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi Toni's Friend

You are so right, some old faces from the past have suddenly returned to my life and they are being so supportive right now.

Oh and a silver lining, I have lost almost a stone in 10 days! Not for the right reasons of course but hey-ho!!

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 28th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog

Hi All

Well no snow here yet, but it's bloody cold! I'm sat in the office,
    with the heating on in my coat and gloves!

Treated the kids to a meal in a local pub last night, they have got some special offers on at the moment, DS bought the drinks and I paid for the meals, Just over £22 for 4 of us, was lovely as well and really nice to spend time with them.

I'm coping ok again today. A dear friend gave me some flowers which lifted my spirits. I know financially I'll be ok, its the physical side I will miss, hugs and kisses etc.

I've got a night out on Saturday again, a dear friend is visiting,
    can't wait to see her and I know we won't stop laughing so that will be good therapy.

Anyway must go and do some work, take care.

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 20th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi All

Thought it was time I posted an update.

Husband has moved out to a flat about 25 miles away, he is contributing towards DD so all good. DD is coping well, calm and accepting, I guess she has supported friends through the same thing, she's very mature for her age and I'm extremely proud of her. We have had a couple of nice nights out with family and friends, just cheap pub meals where there are deals on, but its been lovely and we have been very well supported by everyone.

My food expenditure has more than halved, just shows how much rubbish my husband used to put in the trolley, this week I even treated myself to 6 bottles of wine (Lidls deal) and still spent less than half what I used to. I made a lovely cottage pie at the weekend and we will eat up the last of that tonight, out for a works meal tomorrow (DD is coming too) and then a couple of easy dinners from stocks will take us to the weekend.

I have booked a cheap holiday for myself and DD over the Easter break, a bit of quality time, sunshine and away from here will do us both the world of good. We have a nice hotel with a spa and it should be nice and warm there. A friend and Husband are going to help with the dog so wont have to pay for kennels. I have had to buy DD some new swimwear (she had outgrown hers) but did well in the N@xt Sale.

I have sorted out my 25% reduction in Council Tax now that H has moved out and also made an application for Universal Credit, not sure I will actually get anything as I am on a good salary but even if its enough to cover DD's pocket money it will help.

We have had a fair bit of snow so I have been keeping the heating on, I refuse to be cold and DD has had a few snow days so she has been home all day. I will submit meter readings for gas and electricity as I want to keep on top of our account.

Personally, I am in a good place at the moment, I have kept off the stone I lost in the first 10 days (through loss of appetite) and am now going to the gym to tone everything up. I am pampering myself with my stash of beauty products. I feel at ease with everything and as long as DD is ok, I'm ok.

Take care all

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 21st Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 8,008 Posts
    • 34,254 Thanks
    lucielle
    Sounds like you've got a plan. Enjoy the holibobs
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 21st Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Hi 321,
    I've just dipped in to your diary and the way you are dealing with the situation is so admirable.
    It is so hard but just try to think of it as a new start and a fresh opportunity.
    I wish you all the best with it all.

Take care
    SM
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 31st Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 3,851 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    You!!!8217;re doing fantastic
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    • By 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog 9th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog
    Hi everyone

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, they are greatly appreciated.

DD and I had a lovely holiday, the most relaxing I've every had, which probably speaks volumes! But back to reality now. Ex is becoming more difficult, I knew he would, he is too immature to accept that this is all of his doing and to dela with the consequences. I will not be taking him back, I want to stay in the house for the time being but he is making that uncomfortable by walking in and following me around the house. If needs be I will sell up and buy somewhere that is truely mine and mine alone. He is making threats about cutting the amount of maintenance but I have been on the CSA calculator and if he gets difficult he might find he actually has to pay slightly more, not less. He is also making noises about moving into the spare room but I am sure this is just to provoke a response from me.

Finances are ok, groceries are a lot less and I am trying to repay debts as I want as much free income as possible if I am to get a mortgage etc. I have started to look at Rightmove and know I will be able to afford something suitable, ideally I'd like a house with three bedrooms but two would do.

I am in a fairly good place mentally, taking care of myself, trying to eat well and exercise (making use of the free gym at work and walking the dog) and using my many beauty products to pamper myself. I have managed to lose some more weight and with that and the holiday tan people are paying me compliments and saying how well I'm looking. Just edited my signature and realised I have lost 2 stone in the last 6 months!

DD is still doing well, bless her and her friends are being very supportive. Wider family and friends have all been great.

I am trying to be more organised with meal plans and housework but as it is just the two of us these things seem remarkably easier anyway.

321 xxx
    Last edited by 3 kids 2 jobs 1 dog; 09-04-2018 at 1:36 PM.
    REPAYMENT PLAN
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,427Posts Today

6,768Users online

Martin's Twitter