Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Laprisamata101
    BT - British Telecom have sabotaged my TalkTalk service
    • 17th Nov 10, 8:27 PM
    BT - British Telecom have sabotaged my TalkTalk service 17th Nov 10 at 8:27 PM
    I am a TalkTalk customer, originally with Tiscali and with LineOne before that.

On 05/11/10 I noticed that my home phone was dead and that there was no dial tone, and that the internet was not working.

About 30 minutes of waiting, my dial tone returned and I called my mobile phone to test the line.

Imagine my shock when caller ID on my mobile identified my home number as having changed!!

Since then, after numerous calls to TalkTalk tech support, and countless hollow promises of 'it'll be fixed in 24hrs', I am still without my telephone services and broadband, almost three weeks later!!

This is compounded in that the error has cost me a 500 rebate to a web development client for not being able to finish his project by the agreed deadline.

TalkTalk have failed continuously to contact me, after promises of calling me back. I'm fed up with the lies.

Now that my 'alternative' number is no longer working, I can't contact tech support over the phone, but the last excuse I heard was 'it's BT's fault, and their engineers are working on it'

I did make an interesting discovery a couple of days ago, that a neighbouring flat had started a contract with O2 and they had been provisioned a number for their service, which happened to be the exact same number my home number had tranformed into on 05/11.

If this is the case, what happened to my number? This appears to be a huge breach of privacy and the Data Protection Act.

It appears to be British Telecom that deserves blame, but how can I get them to accept responsibility? What complaints procedure should I take? Who do I direct legal action against?

:R:
Page 1
  • Inactive
    • 18th Nov 10, 12:27 AM
    • 18th Nov 10, 12:27 AM
    Your contract is with Talk Talk, it must be them that are ultimately responsible for your line problems.

I assume that you have Business Contract with Talk Talk, if so you should get a priority service.
  • Laprisamata101
    • 18th Nov 10, 4:55 AM
    • 18th Nov 10, 4:55 AM
    I have normal home broadband with TalkTalk. As a relatively new startup, I have yet to switch to business broadband.

Yes, my contract is with TalkTalk. However, that didn't stop a BT Openreach engineer installing a line into a neighbours flat for O2 broadband which then resulted in my problem.

It's not a coincidence that my home number suddenly changed to the number that my neighbour was supposed to be allocated for his broadband service on 05.11.10!

Let me quote from the BT Openreach entry at Wikipedia:

"Field engineers also appear under this division and install and maintain the physical network wiring into end users' premises regardless of which telecoms provider is actually retailing the service to the end-user."

I see it as a BT error, and their problem!!

//R
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Nov 10, 8:50 AM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 18th Nov 10, 8:50 AM
    • 18th Nov 10, 8:50 AM
    It will certainly be the BT OpenReach engineer who accidentally disconnected your line and connected it to the port set up for your neighbour. I imagine when they found that your neighbours phone wasn't working they disconnected your pair from his port, connected his pair to it and left yours disconnected.

Regardless of that error being made by an OpenReach employee your only contract is with TalkTalk and it is up to them to get it rectified. I don't doubt that if you look into the small print of your TalkTalk contract there will be no service level agreement and an exclusion for any consequential loss. At best all you'll get is a refund for the period the service is down and maybe an ex-gratia free month. If your income depends on your broadband why on earth are you with a bunch of chancers like TalkTalk?
    • macman
    • By macman 18th Nov 10, 9:56 AM
    • 42,794 Posts
    • 18,041 Thanks
    macman
    • 18th Nov 10, 9:56 AM
    • 18th Nov 10, 9:56 AM
    Totally agree with kwikbreaks. No chance on any residential contract of getting compensation for consequential loss. If you were running a business on a residential line you were technically breaching your contract anyway. The best you will get is a credit for the downtime and maybe a small one-off compensation payment.
    As you have no contract with BT, your remedy is via TT, it's then up to them to pursue the matter with BT.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • spike7451
    • 18th Nov 10, 10:51 AM
    • 18th Nov 10, 10:51 AM
    It will certainly be the BT OpenReach engineer who accidentally disconnected your line and connected it to the port set up for your neighbour. I imagine when they found that your neighbours phone wasn't working they disconnected your pair from his port, connected his pair to it and left yours disconnected.

Regardless of that error being made by an OpenReach employee your only contract is with TalkTalk and it is up to them to get it rectified. I don't doubt that if you look into the small print of your TalkTalk contract there will be no service level agreement and an exclusion for any consequential loss. At best all you'll get is a refund for the period the service is down and maybe an ex-gratia free month. If your income depends on your broadband why on earth are you with a bunch of chancers like TalkTalk?
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    That is exactly what I was thinking Kwik,I've seen it loads of times at NTL/VM, & it's usually caused by the installer failing to do a number line check before connecting the drop.

Part of the problem is the records kept.Say your number is 010101 222 333,you have a E Side (which is the network side) of 11 & a D Side (which is the distrabution side on the the street cabinet) of 22.
    Years ago,your phone had been connected up to D 24 instead of 22 for some reason.The engineer didn't update the provisioning department that he used D 24.So then the next installer comes along to install your neighbours house,doesn't check D 24 which is in use,so pulls the circuit & connects up his line,leaving you with no phone.
    Meanwhile,in the exchange,the exchange engineer has found D-24 is in use with your number so jumpers up the D side to 22,but again doesn't update the systems.

He then realizes his mistake & corrects it,but because he doesn't have the circuit details for you,he leaves it disconnected instead of having the balls to man up & admit he made a mistake,get the details & fix it.

The are a few different ways it could happen but the example I've gave above is the most common I've came across.
  • Inactive
    • 18th Nov 10, 12:57 PM
    • 18th Nov 10, 12:57 PM
    I think that the consensus is as I implied;

1) You should have a business contract.

2) Your contract is with Talk Talk and it is they that are responsible for your line etc.

Anybody that is dependent on their telephone/broadband should really be using a more reliable service provider than Talk Talk.
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 23rd Nov 10, 3:27 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    • 23rd Nov 10, 3:27 PM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 3:27 PM
    Hi Laprisamata101,

We compensate for a complete loss of service but would not be able to cover business expenses as we are a residential service. I can not advise on what the underlying cause of the problem was without looking into your fault and would need you to register on the TalkTalk Members Forum to do this.

If you do require a business product then Opal is our business arm of the company.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,684Users online

Martin's Twitter