Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 16th Nov 10, 12:47 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Top Cashback Sites Article Discussion
    • 16th Nov 10, 12:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Top Cashback Sites Article Discussion 16th Nov 10 at 12:47 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of

To discuss or ask a question about this article: please reply here

To read the previous Internet Shopping thread see here

To discuss making free cashback from clicks please use the
    Making Free Cash From Cashback Sites Discussion
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 8
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 29th Jan 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    JDPower
    Evening all

I've always used comparison sites for insurance, then gone to Quidco for cashback.
    Always worked well.
    But this year I have got quotes for home insurance, then when I go via Quidco, the quotes I then go for are quite a bit higher than the ones on comparison sites - often making cashback a no-go.
    Anyone else finding this? And is there a solution?

Cheers!
    Originally posted by chrisf
    Yeah, happens quite a lot worth car insurance too, has done for a while sadly
    • endlesssummer
    • By endlesssummer 31st May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    endlesssummer
    Topcashback + Vodaphone
    If you dig deep enough you will eventually find out that it is Vodaphone people who own Topcasback,
    Hence the issues.
    Vodaphone own Topcashback.
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 16th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dekkard
    TopCashback - delayed payment
    I've been waiting for over a year for Expedia cashback for a hotel booking to be acknowledged, let alone paid. Still nothing happening despite chasing up TopCashback.

Is this a record I wonder?
    • washable
    • By washable 17th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    washable
    I too having waiting since October for a pay out with Nationwide.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 15,778 Posts
    • 22,463 Thanks
    antrobus
    If you dig deep enough you will eventually find out that it is Vodaphone people who own Topcasback,
    Hence the issues.
    Vodaphone own Topcashback.
    Originally posted by endlesssummer
    Que?

Topcashback Ltd is a subsidiary of Top Online Partners Group Limited which is owned by a Mr and Mrs Tomkins and a Mr Ragg.

I see no connection with Vodafone.
    • gld73
    • By gld73 20th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    gld73
    Definitely important to not rely on definitely getting the cash back - even companies you'd think would be reliable aren't always! I recently bought Virgin Trains tickets via topcashback ... purchase tracked briefly, but within days had been declined. I've tried to open a missing claim - and can't, as Virgin Trains is no longer giving cashback via TCB.

Fair enough if they want to withdraw from the site, but they should at least have honoured the cashback for existing purchases made when they were still on the site offering cashback.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 22nd Nov 17, 8:28 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Not worth it in my opinion!
    Personally, I think if British banks need to bribe people with offers of cash to open a current account with them then they can't be much good. Experience with First Direct just confirmed that. I'll stick with my bank. Run for it's members not its shareholders. Been with them for 20+ years now, not found one better and certainly won't change for a handful of silver.
    • Nigel1
    • By Nigel1 30th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Nigel1
    Disillusioned with Topcashback
    Anyone have problems with topcashback? I very really use cashback sites, only on big purchases and yearly for my car insurance. I have had to put in two claims in the last 6 months and they've both been declined. They didnt track my claims both times. They've sent me a message saying they wasnt the last merchant. I have now missed out on 55 cashback. Now am i missing something or do they refuse cashback every now and again for there own benefit. I always clear my cookies etc before. I will never use them again.
    Who shall i use next?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Gav501
    Yes, I've been using TCB for several years and been happy with them until the last 6 months. In that time, I've now had 4 bona fide purchases declined for cashback all using the same excuse that the merchant "cannot find it" (merchants being Green Flag, AllPosters, Kwikfit and MoreThan, if anyone is having similar problems), even though I've challenged it manually.
    Time to try imutual, methinks...
    • B_M
    • By B_M 30th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    B_M
    Yes, I've been using TCB for several years and been happy with them until the last 6 months. In that time, I've now had 4 bona fide purchases declined for cashback all using the same excuse that the merchant "cannot find it" (merchants being Green Flag, AllPosters, Kwikfit and MoreThan, if anyone is having similar problems), even though I've challenged it manually.
    Time to try imutual, methinks...
    Originally posted by Nigel1
    Easy to get your money from the financials (Green Flag and More Than), just register a mis-selling complaint. Mis-selling due to non-payment of promoted cashback for purchasing a product.
    I have a complaint in with More Than myself now and have actually received an acknowledgement letter today, They have until the 18th March to resolve, or it will go to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
    For Green Flag, try U K Insurance Limited for your complaint.
    If your Kwik Fit was for a financial product, take them on too.
    TCB have gone hill enormously, but much longer than 6 months! You really need to concentrate on getting the cashback yourself now and TCB are very naughty with their promotions. What you see and what you receive differ massively!

Imutual is worth a look, but worth registering with many cashback sites to be fair. Imitual often beat TCB and Quidco and have that important 'Cashback Guarantee'. Not on all offers, but look for that white tick in the yellow circle. See the difference too with 'customer care'.
    Good luck.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company 550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • Nigel1
    • By Nigel1 4th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Nigel1
    Disillusioned with Topcashback
    Easy to get your money from the financials (Green Flag and More Than), just register a mis-selling complaint. Mis-selling due to non-payment of promoted cashback for purchasing a product.
    I have a complaint in with More Than myself now and have actually received an acknowledgement letter today, They have until the 18th March to resolve, or it will go to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
    For Green Flag, try U K Insurance Limited for your complaint.
    If your Kwik Fit was for a financial product, take them on too.
    TCB have gone hill enormously, but much longer than 6 months! You really need to concentrate on getting the cashback yourself now and TCB are very naughty with their promotions. What you see and what you receive differ massively!

Imutual is worth a look, but worth registering with many cashback sites to be fair. Imitual often beat TCB and Quidco and have that important 'Cashback Guarantee'. Not on all offers, but look for that white tick in the yellow circle. See the difference too with 'customer care'.
    Good luck.
    Originally posted by B_M
    Thanks B_M. I've had a different response from TCB for Green Flag:
    "Regrettably, as the retailer is now no longer in a working relationship with their previous affiliate marketing agency, as a result, I'm afraid there is nothing further we can do to dispute this further for you."
    In other words, though no fault of the customer, the situation between a retailer and their "marketing agency" has changed AFTER you have made your purchase, so in their world, you miss out.

I now echo the call of a previous correspondent - it's time this cashback practice was REGULATED. From the outset, either you qualify for cashback and are protected, or you are not.
    • B_M
    • By B_M 4th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    B_M
    Thanks B_M. I've had a different response from TCB for Green Flag:
    "Regrettably, as the retailer is now no longer in a working relationship with their previous affiliate marketing agency, as a result, I'm afraid there is nothing further we can do to dispute this further for you."
    In other words, though no fault of the customer, the situation between a retailer and their "marketing agency" has changed AFTER you have made your purchase, so in their world, you miss out.

I now echo the call of a previous correspondent - it's time this cashback practice was REGULATED. From the outset, either you qualify for cashback and are protected, or you are not.
    Originally posted by Nigel1
    Yes, that's TCB for you.
    I'm afraid there's something they (TCB) could have done and that's to advise you to complain direct.
    There's another thing TCB could have done, they could have applied their 'fair play policy'.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/about?cat=FairPlay

TCB also have a 'mission statement' if you want to read and see where and how the 'fair play policy' should apply.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/about?cat=Mission

Personally, I'd just go direct with a claim and claim compensation.

Best wishes, but for future see if there's a cashback that has a guarantee.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company 550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • BaldacchinoR
    • By BaldacchinoR 14th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    BaldacchinoR
    My view is that you are legally entitled to the cashback offered as it constitutes a contract. Any disclaimer issued by the cashback site which claims cashback is discretionary is only potentially valid if they can prove they did not receive the commission from the merchant for a valid reason. But even then, their position is still doubtful, since your contract with the cashback site is quite separate from the site's contract with the merchant, just like when you buy in a store, your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer/supplier of the item. I don't know if this has been tested in the courts but I hope it will be - the sooner the better.

Also its worth getting a quote direct from the merchant and then going through the cashback site to ensure it is actually worth going for the cashback. I have found sometimes the price net of cashback is the same.

I have got the cashback direct from the merchant, having phoned them for some other reason, and telling them I wanted to order through the cashback site. That way you don't have to wait months and the merchant is happy not only having ensured your custom but not having to pay the rest of the commission to the cashback site!

Just looked through some of these postings and saw someone suggesting making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about unpaid cashback. Good idea! Would like to know if anyone has and the result please.
    Last edited by BaldacchinoR; 14-03-2018 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Added information
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 5th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I used to rely on MSE's Cashback Maximiser tool to compare cashback rates but when I tried to access it today the link has disappeared or rather it just directs me to the general MSE Cashback page. Despite a very long search through all things related to Cashback on MSE I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know if it's been removed for some reason please?

Thanks
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 05-05-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-June: 2333.00+.

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9141
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 9th May 18, 6:13 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    Yeah classic TopCashBack treatment. I have cancelled my Premium membership and pretty much stopped using them until they sort two claims that I have with them. Both for Royal Caribbean Cashback -one is now since August 2016....I wonder if they will let it get to two years old?
    The actual holiday has been and gone, paid up, all done and dusted last May 2017 so still no Cashback after 12months of that.
    What a pile of crap TCB are, usual excuse waiting for retailer, but they seem to actually do sod all to fight for us their customer.
    Shame their service isnt covered by Consumer Rights Act, as to use that analogy, TCB would be held accountable as the retailer and they would have to fight their battle with the manufacturer or their supplier for support/protection
    • phrancklyn
    • By phrancklyn 9th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    phrancklyn
    'Cashback Maximiser' tool
    I have just written to MSE to enquire what happened to the 'Cashback Maximiser' Tool.
    You and others who considered it to be of benefit may wish to do the same?
    Its old link now leads to the beginners' guide to Cashback, so it looks like this excellent and useful tool may have been discontinued.
    The MSE editors may consider that it wasn't used enough by members, but that's hardly surprising considering that it was given NO publicity - and bizarrely, that there wasn't even a link to it from the 'Guide to Cashback' page!
    Regrettably, it seems to me that MSE's coverage of 'cashback' has gone downhill as only the top two sites are even mentioned and linked to now...
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th May 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I have just written to MSE to enquire what happened to the 'Cashback Maximiser' Tool.
    You and others who considered it to be of benefit may wish to do the same?
    Its old link now leads to the beginners' guide to Cashback, so it looks like this excellent and useful tool may have been discontinued.
    The MSE editors may consider that it wasn't used enough by members, but that's hardly surprising considering that it was given NO publicity - and bizarrely, that there wasn't even a link to it from the 'Guide to Cashback' page!
    Regrettably, it seems to me that MSE's coverage of 'cashback' has gone downhill as only the top two sites are even mentioned and linked to now...
    Originally posted by phrancklyn
    Thanks for this post. I was going to contact MSE myself as the Maximiser Tool was always a massive help to me and I used it every time I bought anything online.

I didn't receive any response to my query about it's whereabouts posted on here on 5th May and assumed I'd posted in the wrong place

Please let us know what response you get from MSE.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 09-05-2018 at 3:47 PM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-June: 2333.00+.

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9141
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Noahnewby
    • By Noahnewby 23rd May 18, 6:22 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Noahnewby
    Aaaah - so that's why I can't find it, I also found it extremely useful and would be grateful if those at MSE towers could reinstate it but...
    I'll not hold me breath.
    • thor
    • By thor 8th Jun 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    thor
    Yeah classic TopCashBack treatment. I have cancelled my Premium membership and pretty much stopped using them until they sort two claims that I have with them. Both for Royal Caribbean Cashback -one is now since August 2016....I wonder if they will let it get to two years old?
    The actual holiday has been and gone, paid up, all done and dusted last May 2017 so still no Cashback after 12months of that.
    What a pile of crap TCB are, usual excuse waiting for retailer, but they seem to actually do sod all to fight for us their customer.
    Shame their service isnt covered by Consumer Rights Act, as to use that analogy, TCB would be held accountable as the retailer and they would have to fight their battle with the manufacturer or their supplier for support/protection
    Originally posted by stemcgoo
    I gave up on Topcashback when I made a claim for incorrect cashback against Argos. TCB told me that Argos were claiming I returned a Fridge Freezer (which I did not) and that was why there had been a problem. The merchant told them I did not make the purchase so apparently TCB did not get paid. I got Argos to email an admission that the item had not been returned but TCB still refuse to confront Argos further even with this evidence. This claim was from June 2016. It's hit it's two year anniversary. Needless to say I have never used them again and do all my cashback business elsewhere.
    • TARA112233
    • By TARA112233 3rd Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TARA112233
    A warning about Cashback World run by Lyoness - its a SCAM! I've personally contacted all the National retailers on the CB site like M&S, John Lewis, Tescos, Morrisons, Clarks, B&Q etc and most of them haven't heard of CB world and are certainly NOT merchants.
    CB World are buying discounted Love2shop vouchers, reselling them back to members at FULL price and then giving them a little bit back - which breaches Love2shop trading terms. And it lies about the big retailers who join so they can con the smaller retailers out of thousands
    of pounds in joining fees.
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 8th Jul 18, 12:11 AM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    JDPower
    A warning about Cashback World run by Lyoness - its a SCAM! I've personally contacted all the National retailers on the CB site like M&S, John Lewis, Tescos, Morrisons, Clarks, B&Q etc and most of them haven't heard of CB world and are certainly NOT merchants.
    CB World are buying discounted Love2shop vouchers, reselling them back to members at FULL price and then giving them a little bit back - which breaches Love2shop trading terms. And it lies about the big retailers who join so they can con the smaller retailers out of thousands
    of pounds in joining fees.
    Originally posted by TARA112233
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoness#Legality_and_alleged_deceptive_practices
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

826Posts Today

6,944Users online

Martin's Twitter