Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 15th Nov 10, 7:09 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 1,337Thanks
    lickylonglips
    non-alcoholic mulled wine / gluehwein
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:09 PM
    non-alcoholic mulled wine / gluehwein 15th Nov 10 at 7:09 PM
    Does anyone have an easy and cheap recipe for a non-alcoholic mulled wine suitable for children. at school we are planning on having a german christmas market and would love to make some mulled wine for the children to try, but it would obviously have to be non-alcoholic.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Nov 10, 7:11 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:11 PM
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:11 PM
    Red grape juice and the usual mulled wine spices.
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 15th Nov 10, 7:12 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:12 PM
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:12 PM
    Red grape juice and the usual mulled wine spices.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    so cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg?
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Nov 10, 7:23 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:23 PM
    • 15th Nov 10, 7:23 PM
    Yep. maybe some orange juice or just the zest too.
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 15th Nov 10, 8:17 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    • 15th Nov 10, 8:17 PM
    • 15th Nov 10, 8:17 PM
    Yep. maybe some orange juice or just the zest too.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    sounds delish!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 16th Nov 10, 8:41 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 16th Nov 10, 8:41 PM
    • 16th Nov 10, 8:41 PM
    I was thinking about this and had inspiration as I cycled to work How about a variation on mulled cider using apple juice Add some chopped apple, clementines studded with cloves, a cinnamon stick or two, and a grate of nutmeg. Warm and then allow the spices to infuse.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 16th Nov 10, 9:18 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    • 16th Nov 10, 9:18 PM
    • 16th Nov 10, 9:18 PM
    I was thinking about this and had inspiration as I cycled to work How about a variation on mulled cider using apple juice Add some chopped apple, clementines studded with cloves, a cinnamon stick or two, and a grate of nutmeg. Warm and then allow the spices to infuse.
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Also sounds good. Am popping to tesco tomorrow morning before school. will see what takes my fancy and will let you know how it goes.
  • nicksh
    • 16th Nov 10, 10:20 PM
    • 16th Nov 10, 10:20 PM
    Hot Vimto! Water from kettle instead of the tap. mmmm
    • stiltwalker
    • By stiltwalker 16th Nov 10, 10:39 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 14,654 Thanks
    stiltwalker
    • 16th Nov 10, 10:39 PM
    • 16th Nov 10, 10:39 PM
    I've had mulled white wine at a German Christmas fair so you could also use white grape juice with the usual spices. Just the carton stuff will be fine.
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 17th Nov 10, 5:08 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    Hi,

I made mulled apple juice for our Bonfire party.

2l apple juice
    5cm piece cinnamon
    1inch ginger root
    3 cloves
    1/2 orange in slices
    1/2 lemon in slices

Just simmer together for 15 mins and allow to cool slightly before serving too wee ones or drivers!

PGxx
    • OMR
    • By OMR 17th Nov 10, 9:12 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    OMR
    We love equal parts orange juice & cranberry juice, heated. Add orange slices, or cinnamon sticks or whatever decoration you have.
    • CCStar
    • By CCStar 17th Nov 10, 9:15 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    Prune juice reminds me of mulled wine. Heat and mix in mulled wine spices.

Healthy and keeps you regular too!
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
    • lickylonglips
    • By lickylonglips 17th Nov 10, 9:35 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    lickylonglips
    we made a syrup of a cup of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water with a couple of cinnamon sticks, the peel of 2 clementines and some nutmeg. this was brought to a boil, then simmered for 5 minutes. this was then strained. to this was added 2 litres of red grape juice and 100ml of lemon juice. this was simmered for 15 minutes. was delicious.
  • mywordsaidmat
    it's not as cheap as a recipe, but last year at a carol concert they served Bottle Green Spiced Berry cordial (the brand that does the great elderflower cordial) - we all actually thought it was alcoholic mulled wine! i've bought many a bottle since, and having tried non-alcoholic bevvies of all sorts (from non-alc whiskey to all the supermarket 0% lagers) i can say it's one of the best drinks to have all year round. cordial / water ratio is 1:12 i think so a bottle really lasts - trust me, you should try it
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Dec 13, 1:33 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    Jo4
    it's not as cheap as a recipe, but last year at a carol concert they served Bottle Green Spiced Berry cordial (the brand that does the great elderflower cordial) - we all actually thought it was alcoholic mulled wine! i've bought many a bottle since, and having tried non-alcoholic bevvies of all sorts (from non-alc whiskey to all the supermarket 0% lagers) i can say it's one of the best drinks to have all year round. cordial / water ratio is 1:12 i think so a bottle really lasts - trust me, you should try it
    Originally posted by mywordsaidmat
    Thanks for this. The 500ml bottle is supposed to be on offer in Sainsburys and Tesco at £2.50. I am going to try and get some on Friday and I'll get to try it on Saturday!!
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Dec 13, 1:46 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Originally posted by mywordsaidmat
    I love the spicy berry cordial and would second this recommendation - i havent tried it warmed up but its great watered down with soda or sparkling water and yes a little goes a long way.
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 11th Dec 13, 2:38 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 8,899 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Tesco were doing a christmas food tasting and had the spicy berry cordial as a taster, was delicious. Was tempted to buy a bottle, may have to get some before the offer runs out!
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £457.57/£400 Jul £91.74/£400
  • Darkphaery
    Ikea do a none alcoholic one, it's amazing and only something like £1.90 a bottle!
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Dec 13, 3:38 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    Jo4
    M&S sell Mulled Punch for £1.99 a bottle. When they were offering a discount for purchasing 6 bottles of wine I purchased 6 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of Mulled Punch and I got the discount on both.
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 11th Dec 13, 3:57 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    Mulled apple juice is far nicer (and I love my wine!)

Apple juice, star anise x 2, cinnamon stick, orange zest

Simple and gorgeous
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

803Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin