Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 22
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 24th Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    You're more likely to get some useful responses if you could expand a little on why you have paid too much tax and what sort of amounts you're talking about for the older years
    • Moog63
    • By Moog63 24th Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hi, and thanks for the prompt response.

    The overpaid tax was due to HMRC assuming I was getting private health insurance through my current employer when this hasn't been the case since I joined them 6 years ago. The lady I spoke to on the helpline confirmed this had been in my tax code since I started work with my current employer in 2010. I'd never checked before because I assumed these people know what they're doing when working out our tax codes and I've never been very good at these things.

    I believe they're already processing the repayment of this tax from the year 2012/13 to current day, amounting to just under 1000. I believe they should be paying for the previous two years (2010/11 & 2011/12), which by my estimation will be about another 500 or thereabouts.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 24th Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for the earliest years.

    Sure there have been other threads on here where people have had a much stronger case and had no joy with years which are too far back. As you yourself admit you hadn't bothered checking if your code was wrong.

    This health insurance thing must have meant you weren't on the bog standard code (1100L this year) but you never thought to investigate why your code was different to the norm?

    Lesson learned, presumably you have now registered for your Personal Tax Account and will be keeping on top of this from now on :-)
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 24-09-2016 at 2:53 PM.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 24th Sep 16, 2:57 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    At least you have had the sense to let them send you the tax refund cheque for the more recent years so you can get that banked and then worry about the rest.

    There's been a recent thread on here where a poster was about to get a decent refund then noticed a problem which would have meant he/she got a bit more but instead of banking the big amount they have got in a right pickle and hadnt received anything last time they posted!
    • RedJenny
    • By RedJenny 2nd Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I thought we were on to a winner when I applied for my unused tax allowance to be transferred to my husband. I am a non tax payer. This reduced my husband's tax but then last week I received a tax demand for unpaid tax for 2015/16. 191.40 I phoned to query this and was told it was because I had transferred my unused tax allowance to my husband! What is going on???
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 3rd Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    To get any meaningful help you need to give some more information such as what your taxable income was in 2015:16.

    If you get different types of income what are they and how much from each one.

    Also you do understand that with Marriage Allowance you cannot transfer 'unused tax allowances' it is an all or nothing thing. If you applied you were agreeing to give hubby a fixed amount of your allowance irrespective of your income so it perfectly possible to do this and then owe tax yourself - transferring the allowance can mean you go from being a non taxpayer (when full allowance is available) to a taxpayer (when you have lost 10% of your allowance by giving it to hubby).

    You haven't mentioned an amount but if hubby got 212 refund/reduction in tax then you are still 20 better off overall as a family
    • Julia9CA
    • By Julia9CA 7th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thank you so much for the tax code tips! I had medical insurance at my previous job, but I left in Sept 2014 and my new job does not have medical insurance. Nonetheless, the tax code for medical insurance benefit has persisted since 2014. I was able to fix the 2017-18 code online using the GOV.UK website, but I had to call them to rectify the 2014/15, 2015/16, and 2016/17 years. This was simple to do and within a few minutes I was advised my refund check would be 182. Between this tip and the one about uniform cleaning, I have either saved or been given back 300.
    • walrrrus
    • By walrrrus 21st Apr 18, 8:52 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    I don't understand it. Probably me being dumb, but it just says it's different - not high or low, too much or too little. So I'm no wiser than I was before I started.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 21st Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    If you want anyone to help then you need to provide more detail.

    What are you checking or trying to achieve?

    Which tax year is it related to

    What do you think might be wrong?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter