Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 928Posts
    • 1,736Thanks
    Marine_life
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 258
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 6th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    I don't factor inheritance into my calculations.
    I'm not overly emotional about it. Chances are my parents will die before I do. I just think that it is their money and I'd rather them spend it on anything they like... or if the time comes making their lives more comfortable. So there may or may not be anything left when the inevitable happens.

My parents have separated and my older father has commented several times about wanting to leave me and my siblings something. I just reply that I don't need his money, he's worked hard for it and its he that should be enjoying it. Like most parents, over the years they have done more than enough for us. I wouldn't want to put any pressure on either of them to leave us something. If it happens that they do then I'll reassess at that point but I don't see factoring it in as the correct way to approach my own finances.
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 19, 7:55 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    Don't put words in my mouth!

Big difference between happy wife/happy life which is a choice and henpecked. Going back to my oringinal impression after your accusation,. You are over sensitive
    Originally posted by atush
    To label another member in such a way isn't kind.
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 7th Jan 19, 8:01 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    Agree and would also add that I do not understand why such comments were directed at her in the first place.
    • atush
    • By atush 7th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 17,417 Posts
    • 10,953 Thanks
    atush
    To label another member in such a way isn't kind.
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    To put words in my mouth was not only unkind, it was rude.
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 7th Jan 19, 1:27 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    [QUOTE=atush;75279976]To put words in my mouth was not only unkind, it was rude.[/QUOTE

That's your perception of the situation - it certainly wasn't mine. Particularly as there was a in BucksLady's reply.

I think to suggest another forum member is ''oversensitive'' is ironically ''insensitive''.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Jan 19, 1:57 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    bugslet
    [QUOTE=ManofLeisure;75280260]
    To put words in my mouth was not only unkind, it was rude.[/QUOTE

That's your perception of the situation - it certainly wasn't mine. Particularly as there was a in BucksLady's reply.

I think to suggest another forum member is ''oversensitive'' is ironically ''insensitive''.
    Originally posted by atush
    Could we all agree that both atush and Bucks Lady are nice people and this has all gone a bit awry and get back on track.

79 full working days left for me Yes I have made myself a little countdown page in my diary
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 7th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    BucksLady
    [

79 full working days left for me Yes I have made myself a little countdown page in my diary
    Originally posted by bugslet

Really pleased for you
    • atush
    • By atush 7th Jan 19, 3:35 PM
    • 17,417 Posts
    • 10,953 Thanks
    atush
    Congrats to you, let us know as the day approaches how you feel.
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    [QUOTE=bugslet;75280460]

Originally posted by ManofLeisure

I know it was a tough decision for you, so delighted to learn that 'the countdown' has begun
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 7th Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    [QUOTE=MrAPJI;75281569]

I know it was a tough decision for you, so delighted to learn that 'the countdown' has begun
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Errr.... how did bugslet morph into manofleisure on your latest post?
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    [QUOTE=DairyQueen;75282216]

Haven't got a clue lol
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 7th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    Strange because I'm now the author of DairyQueen's comment
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 7th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    BucksLady

Wonder if I'm the author of yours
    No, everything is fine
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 8th Jan 19, 8:12 AM
    • 636 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    Now, that's a bug that the mischievous could exploit
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Jan 19, 8:32 AM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    bugslet
    [QUOTE=DairyQueen;75282216]

I might take up gender fluidity as a hobby and this is the toe in the water moment
    • barnstar2077
    • By barnstar2077 13th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    barnstar2077
    It took me a month but I have finally managed to read the entire thread! Thank you to everyone who has contributed. It was a bit disappointing when I clicked on the last page and it didn't unlock an achievement! : )
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 13th Jan 19, 4:38 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    It was a bit disappointing when I clicked on the last page and it didn't unlock an achievement! : )
    Originally posted by barnstar2077
    This is a long-running thread. Plenty of achievements in these pages, and plenty more to go

Welcome, and feel free to contribute.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 13th Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 8,809 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    It was a bit disappointing when I clicked on the last page and it didn't unlock an achievement! : )
    Originally posted by barnstar2077
    This is a journey rather than a destination.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 14th Jan 19, 8:00 AM
    • 4,515 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    gfplux
    This is a journey rather than a destination.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    Agreed, even AFTER retirement the journey continues.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    All the problems in Britain that caused many of the 52% to vote out are unchanged and the Government has no time or inclination to do anything but manage Brexit (badly)
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 14th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    crv1963
    [QUOTE=bugslet;75280460]

Originally posted by ManofLeisure
    Great, hope you glide towards the end rather than feel rushed! By my estimate I have 28 to 34 months if I can last that long, depending on my ability to tolerate pointless directives and patronising comments!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin