Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 899Posts
    • 1,630Thanks
    Marine_life
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 220
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 11th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    gfplux
    Interesting. I didn't really appreciate how extensive that network is or how quick the cars charge.

Nevertheless, generally, I try to drive through Germany at 170-180 km/h (traffic permitting) which I expect would materially reduce the range.

Can 100% see how it would be a fun car in the UK though.
    Originally posted by Marine_life
    There are plenty of speed limits in Germany now. Be careful.
    Britain is racing towards March 29 next year.
    There is no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up. Although "The Curse of a false Brexit" or “Brexit Disaster" come close.
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 11th Jul 18, 9:45 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Marine_life
    I used to have a BMW 540i 4.4l V8 petrol, which was wickedly fast. But the Tesla is a rocket ship alongside, and does it with no noise or fuss and the torque is there from a standstill.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    I am still not convinced that an electric car replaces the emotion of a decent petrol engine. I used to drive a Mercedes C63 AMG on which you would leave the doors open just to hear the engine. But boot it on the autobahn and you were lucky to get 250 km on a full tank.

Fast-forward and I currently drive an Audi 3.0 ltr diesel. Close to 272 ps and 45-50 mpg. It lacks a little the emotion but in all other respects I can't imagine ever needing another car.

You've piqued my interested in the Tesla though - need to do some research.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 11th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Marine_life
    There are plenty of speed limits in Germany now. Be careful.
    Originally posted by gfplux
    Yes indeed, its a journey I do regularly - but there are still enough stretches to have fun - particularly from Nurnberg to Munich. The bigger problem now is travelling at a time of day when the traffic is light enough to enjoy it.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 11th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    I can see me moving to electric next time I buy a vehicle, but for long journeys at the moment they are no good.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    The chap in a black Model S parked next to me at Warwick was on his way to Aberdeen.

After Warwick (where he was having lunch), he was going to have a 25 minute charge near Liverpool, and then a 40 minute one at Abington.

I was just having a scheduled 25 minute stop, and after nature break and getting a sandwich and drink to enjoy on a picnic bench, the car said it would be good to go in five minutes, but I gave it 10 as I was working out some better tunes for the next stretch.

The adaptive cruise and autosteer made a close on 300 mile trip a breeze.

Yes, these fairly lengthy stops wouldn't work for some people, but they are in parallel with pee and food rather than do one and then the other, so really not that bad. And you don't have to queue to pay!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Terron
    • By Terron 12th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Terron
    I'm hybrid at the moment (Lexus IS300h) and everybody at my works missed the trick. Company Car but as a 2.5l petrol hybrid you get the equivalent petrol rate of 22ppm. However as a hybrid you do 50mpg and not 20mpg a flat petrol would give. Last one I actually made money driving it with work, emmision tax rates are up now so it no longer totally free but its still a very cheap company car
    Originally posted by blisteringblue

I used to get 20mph when commuting, but that was a 1..5 mile trip that typically took 25-35 minutes. I sometimes walked if it was dry and that could be faster. Before I hurt my knee I would often cycle - a slightly longer route but only 15 minutes.

For normal driving I get 40mph. I bought my last company car at the end of the lease and still have it - a MX 5 with the folding hardtop. I am thinking of replacing it in the next year or two.

I used to have a parking space next to an electrical substation but where I live now there is no where I could charge an electric car at home so I think I will stick with petrol.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 12th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    I'm hybrid at the moment (Lexus IS300h)
    Originally posted by blisteringblue
    I've sat in a couple of Lexus cars at the showrooms. Useless ruddy things - no headroom. I've also suffered from lack of headroom recently in a big beamer and, very badly, in a big Merc. What possesses the designers to muck up such a simple matter?

I've seen this complaint before on the internet - I am not alone.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 13th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 6,336 Posts
    • 30,194 Thanks
    bugslet
    The chap in a black Model S parked next to me at Warwick was on his way to Aberdeen.

After Warwick (where he was having lunch), he was going to have a 25 minute charge near Liverpool, and then a 40 minute one at Abington.

I was just having a scheduled 25 minute stop, and after nature break and getting a sandwich and drink to enjoy on a picnic bench, the car said it would be good to go in five minutes, but I gave it 10 as I was working out some better tunes for the next stretch.

The adaptive cruise and autosteer made a close on 300 mile trip a breeze.

Yes, these fairly lengthy stops wouldn't work for some people, but they are in parallel with pee and food rather than do one and then the other, so really not that bad. And you don't have to queue to pay!
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    Once I give up work, that will be the time to consider an electric vehicle, I'm hoping time will expand then
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 13th Jul 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    I'm looking for the Pensions and Retirement forum, but keep being diverted to the Motoring forum
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • Deneb
    • By Deneb 13th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Deneb
    Once I give up work, that will be the time to consider an electric vehicle, I'm hoping time will expand then
    Only if you get a DeLorean time machine. In my experience time goes faster with every passing day, retired or not
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I've sat in a couple of Lexus cars at the showrooms. Useless ruddy things - no headroom. I've also suffered from lack of headroom recently in a big beamer and, very badly, in a big Merc. What possesses the designers to muck up such a simple matter?

I've seen this complaint before on the internet - I am not alone.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    For me it is leg room - I am tall for girl but not that tall and some cars I just can't get my legs in. I tested a LandRover defender - supposedly aimed at strapping farmers - and it was impossible.
    I would love an electric runabout as it would suit 95% of my journeys but I'd never get the dogs in for the other 5%. Once the teen has departed for uni I might switch to something where they get the boot and backseats with a suitable cage constructed.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    I would love an electric runabout as it would suit 95% of my journeys but I'd never get the dogs in for the other 5%.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Buy chihuahuas.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    nah - never been a fan of the 'rat on a rope' type. Its a big dog or no dog for me. My 2 are not especially big for their breed but clock in at 35kg / 6 stone each.
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 17,170 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush
    I call them purse dogs. The kind people put in their hand bags.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Jul 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    nah - never been a fan of the 'rat on a rope' type. Its a big dog or no dog for me. My 2 are not especially big for their breed but clock in at 35kg / 6 stone each.
    I was thinking you could use them to feed your big dogs.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I was thinking you could use them to feed your big dogs.
    My boy eats 2lb of meat a day - a chihuahua wouldn't last him long!!!

Big dogs are not very MSE.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 13th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    crv1963
    I'm with MallyGirl, decent sized dogs, my 79 year old mother (fit and active) spoke today of getting another dog when she loses one of her two dogs, hopefully not for a while yet. I told her as it would be possibly (very likely) be coming to me at hopefully a distant point in the future she should get a decent sized dog like her Retriever or the like as I don't want a toy/ handbag dog to walk over the fields with my Labrador and Border Collie!

And as (to get back to the thread) I fully intend to retire in the next few years before I'm 60, I'll have time to take it out if her current 2x 4 mile walks day become to much for her as she enters her 80s!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 13th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6,336 Posts
    • 30,194 Thanks
    bugslet
    Once the teen has departed for uni I might switch to something where they get the boot and backseats with a suitable cage constructed.
    I have a van. Humans have to manage with one spare seat and some dog beds in the back!
    Buy chihuahuas.
    Heathen.

Some small dogs can walk for miles. I've had papillons that would go out for around 8 miles. They are a lot thought than they look.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have a van. Humans have to manage with one spare seat and some dog beds in the back!

Heathen.

Some small dogs can walk for miles. I've had papillons that would go out for around 8 miles. They are a lot thought than they look.
    I have a van too - as I said, not very MSE. It is fitted out with custom crates for the dogs plus space for the dry land mushing rig and kit. Once the dogs are too old we plan to convert it into a camper.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    plus space for the dry land mushing rig and kit.
    I'm trying to guess what that means. I know! They are huskies and they pull your sled over the snow in winter. Mush! Mush!

Are you Canadian?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    No - very English so my 'sled' has to have wheels since there is no snow

The dogs are Alaskan Malamutes
    Last edited by MallyGirl; 14-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,195Posts Today

8,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin