Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 886Posts
    • 1,593Thanks
    Marine_life
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 219
    • michaels
    • By michaels 9th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 20,954 Posts
    • 96,959 Thanks
    michaels
    Retirement present Tesla being collected on Wednesday. Happy days!
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    Envious much, we have had a leaf for 3.5 years but having driven an x and an s that would be even better. Enjoy.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • atush
    • By atush 10th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 16,873 Posts
    • 10,527 Thanks
    atush
    Congratulations!

Give us some tales from the road
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Yeah, and hope I don't get lost and deliver Tales from the River Bank!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 10th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 3,750 Thanks
    gfplux
    You happy buzzer,
    Long trips are so easy apparently.

Every year I spend part of the summer in the South of France (83)

In 2016 I saw 1 Tesla with Belgium plates +1000k trip

In 2017 I saw 5 Tesla with Belgium plates +1000k trip
    2 Tesla with Parisian plates +900k trip
    3 Tesla with Luxembourg plates +900k trip
    2 Tesla with Dutch plates +1200k trip.

I leave this weekend for 8 weeks at the beach so will keep count for 2018
    Britain is racing towards March 29 next year.
    There is no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up. Although "The Curse of a false Brexit" or “Brexit Disaster" come close.
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 10th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    Marine_life
    I don't dislike the concept but diesel is still the way to go for me.

We semi-regularly make trips from UK to Austria - its approximately 1,000 miles door to door which we typically do in one hit - 15 hours or driving or 17 hours including stops. Two tanks of fuel.

Is there sufficient infrastructure available to achieve a trip like that?
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Jul 18, 3:21 PM
    • 16,612 Posts
    • 109,705 Thanks
    gallygirl
    My bucket's got a hole in it,
    My bucket's got a hole in it,
    My bucket's got a hole in it
    and we can't get no beer.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy

My bucket has a hole in it too . However, although it does leak, it turns out if you top it up regularly with 'rain water' from P2P's, 5% accounts etc, the level doesn't really drop much .

My other bucket is much larger (in a very relative, non-Marine Life scale ). It's filling up nicely and I'm hoping it will get back to pre-drawdown levels . I need to be brave enough to actually drink some of it .

Day to day water comes from a few btl streams . Occasionally one stream temporarily dries up, but always flows again .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 5:34 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Is there sufficient infrastructure available to achieve a trip like that?
    Originally posted by Marine_life
    Even a trip like that, which is right on the edge of sanity, is right on the edge of feasibility.

It's 1hr15 for a full charge, but an hour will get you close as it slows a lot towards the end of the charge. In a 100D this will give you a 300 mile range, though booting it on the autobahns will reduce this a lot.

I think you could do it with another 30 minute stop at some point, perhaps the last supercharger before moving away from the network and/or the Eurotunnel supercharger before going under the channel.

Map here. https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger
    Last edited by gadgetmind; 10-07-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 6:10 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Going to Graz at far end of Austria

1. London, UK
    2. Machelen, Belgium60 min charge
    3. Mogendorf, Germany40 min charge
    4. Geiselwind, Germany40 min charge
    5. Hengersberg, Germany55 min charge
    6. Graz, AustriaDuration: 19 h (916 mi)

• JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 10th Jul 18, 6:22 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    JoeEngland
    Even a trip like that, which is right on the edge of sanity, is right on the edge of feasibility.

It's 1hr15 for a full charge, but an hour will get you close as it slows a lot towards the end of the charge. In a 100D this will give you a 300 mile range, though booting it on the autobahns will reduce this a lot.

I think you could do it with another 30 minute stop at some point, perhaps the last supercharger before moving away from the network and/or the Eurotunnel supercharger before going under the channel.

Blimey, only an hour or so on a charge. That sounds hopeless for doing long journeys.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Not really. I'm doing 260 miles tomorrow, and it'll take 4.5 hours. A 30 minute break half way will suit my bladder and stomach just fine. I'm then doing another 230 mile round trip on Friday and don't expect to need to charge, but may do 20 mins at Grantham supercharger to make sure I'm good all the way to Nottingham and then Leeds.

Sure, not something that would work for everyone, but they sell a lot of these cars in America, Germany, etc. and distances there are often vast.

• JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 10th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    JoeEngland
    Not really. I'm doing 260 miles tomorrow, and it'll take 4.5 hours. A 30 minute break half way will suit my bladder and stomach just fine. I'm then doing another 230 mile round trip on Friday and don't expect to need to charge, but may do 20 mins at Grantham supercharger to make sure I'm good all the way to Nottingham and then Leeds.

Sure, not something that would work for everyone, but they sell a lot of these cars in America, Germany, etc. and distances there are often vast.
    Ah, I misread it as saying you only get just over an hour's driving on a charge when you meant the charge takes that time.
    • westv
    • By westv 10th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    westv
    Are those distances based on doing 70-80 on the motorway?
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 10th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    Marine_life

Interesting. I didn't really appreciate how extensive that network is or how quick the cars charge.

Nevertheless, generally, I try to drive through Germany at 170-180 km/h (traffic permitting) which I expect would materially reduce the range.

Can 100% see how it would be a fun car in the UK though.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Are those distances based on doing 70-80 on the motorway?
    Originally posted by westv
    Yes, but consumption goes up rather exponentially with speed, just as it does for gasoline.

• gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Can 100% see how it would be a fun car in the UK though.
    Originally posted by Marine_life
    Well, quite. I see a lot of people moving from diesel to electric but not many moving back.

I used to have a BMW 540i 4.4l V8 petrol, which was wickedly fast. But the Tesla is a rocket ship alongside, and does it with no noise or fuss and the torque is there from a standstill.

• gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Ah, I misread it as saying you only get just over an hour's driving on a charge when you meant the charge takes that time.
    Originally posted by JoeEngland
    Yes, a one hour charge will give you at least three hours of driving.

Yes, this isn't great, but progress has been stunning on charge rates, efficiencies, and capacities.

• itm2
    • By itm2 10th Jul 18, 11:08 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    itm2
    So if one was planning a trip from say West London to the Lake District in a Tesla, what would be the chances of finding enough available charging points en route without having to introduce a 2-3 hour delay waiting for charging bays to get freed up?
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 11th Jul 18, 5:19 AM
    • 10,820 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    So if one was planning a trip from say West London to the Lake District in a Tesla, what would be the chances of finding enough available charging points en route without having to introduce a 2-3 hour delay waiting for charging bays to get freed up?
    Originally posted by itm2
    Currently very good as superchargers tend to be in banks for eight and the S/X are decidedly niche. I haven't seen any owners complaining about lack of capacity more where they are placed for trips to some far flung places.

When the Model 3 hits, the supercharger network is going to have to be expanded in several dimensions.

There are also some Tesla "destination chargers" in the lakes, but as they are 11kW you'd really need to be staying at that hotel or guest house. There are also a fair few ChaDeMo chargers (50kW) that are charged by the hour/unit.

• bugslet
    • By bugslet 11th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 6,208 Posts
    • 29,749 Thanks
    bugslet
    Yes, a one hour charge will give you at least three hours of driving.

Yes, this isn't great, but progress has been stunning on charge rates, efficiencies, and capacities.
    I can see me moving to electric next time I buy a vehicle, but for long journeys at the moment they are no good. It would drive me nuts hanging around waiting to charge up - legacy of driving for a living, get going, get there, don't stop.
    • blisteringblue
    • By blisteringblue 11th Jul 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    blisteringblue
    I'm hybrid at the moment (Lexus IS300h) and everybody at my works missed the trick. Company Car but as a 2.5l petrol hybrid you get the equivalent petrol rate of 22ppm. However as a hybrid you do 50mpg and not 20mpg a flat petrol would give. Last one I actually made money driving it with work, emmision tax rates are up now so it no longer totally free but its still a very cheap company car

I have probably 1 more company car cycle before I retire and I am very tempted for a full electric. I do need 250 miles from a charge and this was always the limiting factor as my allowance would not stretch to a Tesla obviously. However there are some interesting cars out this year. The Hyundai Kona 64kw small SUV is hitting forecorts any minute now. 250+ easily on a charge with that one and going to be priced around 35K I think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

4,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin