Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 899Posts
    • 1,630Thanks
    Marine_life
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 203
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 6th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Marine_life
    I'm under 75kg, eat & drink what I like, worked until my 65th birthday and enjoy excellent health
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Then you probably have either good genes or fundamentally a healthy lifestyle.

By contrast, I probably drink a little too much and have a penchant for a sausage roll. The exercise is the offset to that.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 6th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Marine_life
    Sadly it didn't work for me. My job was so high pressure that when I was travelling I had to get up at 6am to prep my presentations and work for the coming day. Evenings were usually client dinners or trying to get to bed early enough to cope with the early start and pressure of the coming day. There was no downtime during the day. I remember one trip where the local sales manager presented me with a banana between sales calls for my lunch........

I used to see our senior managers going out for runs or spending time in the gym. But there was no peace for the revenue generators...... Like I said, the older I got, the more stressful that workload got.
    Originally posted by OldMusicGuy
    Sounds horrible! You are well away from that!

I think my old role was something like that (although definitely not as bad). My new role involves two days working from home and three days in the office but a 9:00 am start and around a 6:00 pm finish ....so no real stress anymore.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have rarely if ever been in a situation where more money made things worse!
    • atush
    • By atush 7th May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 17,174 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush
    One finds time. Easy to find excuses. If you really want to do something you would. Walking is good for you in so many ways not just physical.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Actually, up to 6 months year you cant walk out from my house. Too much water/mud on the roads. I'd have to drive to walk somewhere in winter really.

Good for walking now though.
    • atush
    • By atush 7th May 18, 4:08 PM
    • 17,174 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush
    I don't think you are ready for retirement yet. But I wish you well.

You have dithered and dandered for a long while, but will not bite the bullet. But each to their own.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Dithered and Dandered is a bit much.

ML did a lot of pondering and planning anc re planning. He is working now because is isnt the same job as before. If he hadnt been able to swap roles he might just now actually be retired.
    • Triumph13
    • By Triumph13 8th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    Triumph13
    Actually, up to 6 months year you cant walk out from my house. Too much water/mud on the roads. I'd have to drive to walk somewhere in winter really.

Good for walking now though.
    Originally posted by atush
    That's what wellies are for!

(fortunately I spotted that auto-correct had changed the first 'e' in 'wellies' to an 'i')
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 30,195 Thanks
    bugslet

(fortunately I spotted that auto-correct had changed the first 'e' in 'wellies' to an 'i')
    Originally posted by Triumph13
    I, on the other hand, on a different forum did not note that auto correct had changed my response to redrum, by replacing the middle two letters with c and t.

Fortunately he saw the funny side
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 8th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Marine_life
    Dithered and Dandered is a bit much.

ML did a lot of pondering and planning anc re planning. He is working now because is isnt the same job as before. If he hadnt been able to swap roles he might just now actually be retired.
    Thats how I see it.

We planned to retire and are financially set. That doesn't mean we have to follow through. It just gives us more options.

Interestingly since I announced my decision (to the company) to retire, I've had quite a few offers which I never would have considered asking for in my pre-FI days. I've also had a few people say "I can't understand why we haven't got a structured plan for people like you" [Meaning people who bring a lot to the party but no longer want the daily grind]

I am honestly very happy with the decisions we've made - and writing down my thoughts on this thread has been very therapeutic
    • atush
    • By atush 8th May 18, 11:17 PM
    • 17,174 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush

Originally posted by Triumph13
    Wellies are ok for a short walk, but not a long one.
    • Deneb
    • By Deneb 9th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Deneb
    Wellies are ok for a short walk, but not a long one.
    Walking boots and gaiters. Spend half of the year slipping about on wet clay over chalk round here, and get out every day, rain or shine.
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 9th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    Thats how I see it.

We planned to retire and are financially set. That doesn't mean we have to follow through. It just gives us more options.

Interestingly since I announced my decision (to the company) to retire, I've had quite a few offers which I never would have considered asking for in my pre-FI days. I've also had a few people say "I can't understand why we haven't got a structured plan for people like you" [Meaning people who bring a lot to the party but no longer want the daily grind]

I am honestly very happy with the decisions we've made - and writing down my thoughts on this thread has been very therapeutic
    Originally posted by Marine_life
    You've got it spot on!
    Just planning for FI makes me feel better about the grind. Being able to demonstrate to myself that I don't have to do this for another 30+ years is great and having more financial resilience also makes me feel more comfortable.

I can certainly see that once you're at, or nearing, FI that you have the ability to shape your own role as you have done and really be getting everything you want from work not just be turning up for the money.
    • westv
    • By westv 9th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,618 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    westv
    That doesn't mean we have to follow through.
    Originally posted by Marine_life
    Not always good idea to follow through.
    • MaryLou18
    • By MaryLou18 9th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MaryLou18
    I am only 28 and I am determined to retire early. Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong. We are spending the best years of our life working.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 9th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 8,101 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong.
    Originally posted by MaryLou18
    Nobody pushed the retirement age to 67. All they did was push to state pension age to 67.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • atush
    • By atush 9th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 17,174 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush
    Walking boots and gaiters. Spend half of the year slipping about on wet clay over chalk round here, and get out every day, rain or shine.
    Originally posted by Deneb
    Sounds miserable to me.
    • atush
    • By atush 9th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 17,174 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    atush
    I am only 28 and I am determined to retire early. Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong. We are spending the best years of our life working.

So save into a pension, use your S&S isa allowance, buy a home. Then you will be able to retire before 67.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 7,947 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Back in the day many people never made it to retirement and spent all their adult years working. Now you can get a state pension at 67 with a reasonable chance of collecting that for 20 years. If you invest in company/personal pension and S&S ISAs you can quit well before that and enjoy life. Sounds good to me.
    • frugal90
    • By frugal90 9th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    frugal90
    We stop this summer. I"ll be 56 and wife will be 50.
    Work hard, save hard, live cheap and you can escape.
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 10th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    Nobody pushed the retirement age to 67. All they did was push to state pension age to 67.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy

I say this all the time. Most people refer to the State Pension Age as the "Retirement age" I try not to be too irritating when I point out you can retire any time you like. Most people however value driving a new ish car or living in a house too large for their needs more than retiring earlier.
    • Deneb
    • By Deneb 10th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Deneb
    Sounds miserable to me.

Not at all. Much rather be outdoors in the countryside, walking across to a valley where I watch kites soaring overhead and deer, than sitting indoors. And the exercise makes me feel good too!

I take it you've never been up to your waist walking through peat bog either
    • Chickereeeee
    • By Chickereeeee 10th May 18, 11:54 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Chickereeeee
    We are spending the best years of our life working.
    Well Duh! That is what you are here for. Try and make the 'working' part enjoyable!

(Actually, it is probably the most 'productive' part of your life, rather than most enjoyable.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,102Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin