Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 7
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    Nick_C
    That was largely my point. MSE ranks the free card higher than the paid one, yet there's really no reason to get the free one. If you want the voucher then pay the fee and get spend £10k. If you don't want the voucher then get a different card entirely (either the preferred rewards gold card or Platinum Cashback) because 1 Avios per £1 spent is a terrible return compared to other options.
    Originally posted by Vehlin
    I think the only reason to use the free BA card is if you are saving for a long time for a flight, and you don't need a voucher in the next year.

I've temporarily downgraded to the free card, because I have a voucher banked and I'm getting more avios/£ with my Lloyds card.

And if you are travelling solo, the Lloyds Avios card is better, as it allows one person to travel in Club World for the (avios) price of World Traveller plus
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    Nick_C
    What survey sites are you using? How often?

I've gotten 1,000 Virgin Flying Club Miles via eRewards, but there are not many surveys and it takes too long to get enough to redeem.

~ 25k miles is a lot and I'm interested to know
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    Last year, I got 12,770 from Rewards for Thoughts, and my partner got 2725.

I also got 6,750 from e-rewards and my partner got 2,750

First five months of this year, we got 16,000 from e-rewards and 8,500 from Rewards for Thoughts.

I've more or less stopped for now as I've got nearly 200,000 Avios banked.

I am time rich as I have retired, so I couldn't tell you how long it took, but I would guess about 200 Avios an hour on average, so probably 3 hours a week.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 5th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    So that's an additional 30,000 Avios for £195 which is 65p per Avios.
    Originally posted by Vehlin
    Really?

Of course not. I make it 0.65p (or £0.0065) using those figures.
    • Vehlin
    • By Vehlin 7th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Vehlin
    Really?

Of course not. I make it 0.65p (or £0.0065) using those figures.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    You're right, I was off by a couple of zeros there. It does further reinforce my point however, that there's really no point in getting the free BA Amex.
    • roy_scott
    • By roy_scott 2nd Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roy_scott
    where do you earn 25K points on surveys?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 2nd Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 8,185 Thanks
    eskbanker
    where do you earn 25K points on surveys?
    Originally posted by roy_scott
    Scroll up a bit, that very question was answered three posts before yours in post #122....
    • Teresa lane
    • By Teresa lane 20th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Teresa lane
    Does anyone know if there is an Avios or British airways Visa? There used to be one with TSB but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Does anyone know if there is an Avios or British airways Visa? There used to be one with TSB but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.
    Originally posted by Teresa lane
    There are no UK avios visa cards.

There is the Lloyd's Amex/MC twin pack, which can be very good value for many people. You need to be quick though as it is being withdrawn. Now available over the phone or in branch. No longer available on line.
    • Treva
    • By Treva 17th Jun 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Treva
    Ba amex card -is it worth it?
    I was so exited when I got my AMEX card so I could get cheap flights and companion flights. What happens in reality is a different tale. Lets start with getting a flight with BA, which is one of the most expensive airlines in the world. After you have trawled through numerous dates and options you will most certainly find a flight cheaper by booking via an online travel broker with a better or comparable airline and without the worry of having to remember to pay off the credit card before it stings you. Reason it's cheaper at an online agent is because BA will charge you taxes, which is fair enough but it's not transparent then add to the supposedly free flight with BA fees.

Now lets move onto the so called free companion flight. You need to book a flight using BA Avios for yourself when you eventually find one and pay the associated tax and add on fees. Then hopefully find another Avios flight at the same time and in the same cabin class for your companion and then, you've guessed it pay another set of taxes and mysterious fees, each way. When you find a flight in say one cabin class on the way out you will find that in most cases be no flights in the same cabin class for your return, which forces you to pay an upgraded price or down grade as the case may be again for both you and your companion. Yes, the companion voucher is valid for a year before it cancels out but in that year you will still have to go with your companion on any flight and in the same cabin class in that year.

Ok so most European flight charge only around £35 each way in extra taxes plus your Avios Air miles but as it's only about three hours max you can pay about the same price on a budget airline without going through the same crazy rigmarole and from your local airport.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 17th Jun 18, 7:57 PM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    Nick_C
    "Ba amex card -is it worth it?"

Yes. If you want to fly Club World or First at an affordable price.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 18th Jun 18, 3:51 AM
    • 853 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    msallen
    "Ba amex card -is it worth it?"

Yes. If you want to fly Club World or First at an affordable price.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    ... or one way long haul economy, or certain European routes at prime times (e.g. skiing hotspots during school holidays).....

Basically, as you will find said all over the place if you bother to do the most rudimentary research before collecting hundreds of thousands of Avios, they can be great value if you know how to use them, but don't just think "Oh I'll get a free flight to xxxx next year".

For beginners to intermediate tips see the headforpoints site, and for advanced discussions see flyertalk.
    Last edited by msallen; 18-06-2018 at 3:54 AM. Reason: Added websites
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 18th Jun 18, 12:54 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    I applied for the premium BA Amex card Friday, but got the we need to do some further checks before we can give you a decision message , i doubt i am going to get it, I have defaults that are from 5.5 years ago, but everything else since then is green. At least its a maybe and not an instant decline. Anybody else managed to get this card who still has defaults showing on their credit file?

I've got 430,000 Avios saved up that i want to spend over the next 2 to 3 years visiting a few places in America (New York , Las Vegas) so thought this would top the balance up and i should spend enough to get a 2 for 1 voucher so i can hopefully do first class on both trips with the amount of points i will have by then.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 18th Jun 18, 2:22 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    GM1880
    Yes,

Got a 4 year old settled default and go one with a £5700 limit having had to go through the manual checks.
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 18th Jun 18, 2:30 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    Yes,

Got a 4 year old settled default and go one with a £5700 limit having had to go through the manual checks.
    Originally posted by GM1880
    So there is hope for me yet then. Did you get an email after a few days saying you had been accepted or a letter? or was it just a case of the card appeared?
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 18th Jun 18, 2:46 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    GM1880
    No, I called them a day after to ask what information they would like. Confirmed address and salary, then they confirmed I was accepted and the card arrived 48 hours later.
    • Karna7
    • By Karna7 22nd Jun 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Karna7
    Hi

Apologies in advice if this post is wrong for this thread - let me know and will delete it and post it in separate threads if needed.

Having read the discussions with a great interest, I'm starting to learn as much as I can and earn air miles where possible. Forgive me if I sound a newbie which is true anyway! I wonder if you could please provide advice/direction which would be greatly appreciated...

I received my Amex Gold card a couple of weeks ago without any problem and managed to hit the target of £2k already. I have received the welcome points a couple of days ago which is great...

A couple of questions to help me moving forward -

Once I clear the balance which is due in July, I wonder whether I should keep it for a little longer e.g. a couple of months to keep AE sweet or just cancel it straightaway and wait till 6 months' time (Jan) to re apply?

Also, are there any other new cards I should get to earn more points either in parallel with my Amex Gold card (in this case, which cards would be allowed?) or none (if decided to cancel Amex Gold next month)?

To give you some background info, I travel 3/4 times a year to South Africa and Jamaica for my work which I normally use BA (Jamaica), Emirates/Virgin A (South Africa) so obviously I want to build up BA avios in order to try and get the upgrades (Business/First) for flights to Jamaica (my back's killing me in the economy cabin!!! ;-)) I fly solo most of the times but with friends/colleagues sometimes so not sure whether 241 companion voucher would be worth it for me?

Sorry for the lengthy post! Hope one of you lovely guys could provide me some good advice...appreciate it..

Thanks
    • knightfox
    • By knightfox 22nd Jun 18, 7:51 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    knightfox
    for all travel credit cards and how to manage points / avios most people in the UK look at the head for points web site
    • credit_crunch
    • By credit_crunch 30th Jun 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    credit_crunch
    hi everyone, just a quick question
    for any of the airline credit cards, does the card holder have to be one of the travellers when booking flights?

Or can the accumulated avios / virgin miles be transferred to a family member?

Thank you
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 30th Jun 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    Nick_C
    For BA, you can set up a household account for all family members living at the same address. Any avios earned are allocated to each individual but also pooled. Anyone in the household account can book a flight, and the Avios are taken from each household member in the ratio in which they hold them.

For example. I have 160000 avios and my partner has 40000. Our household account has 200000. If my partner books a flight costing 100000 avios, 80000 will be taken from my account and 20000 from my partners.

If my partner had no personal avios, they could still book a flight and all the Avios would be taken from my balance.

Using the Avios site, you can currently use your avios to book a flight for anyone, but Avios accounts are closing and being replaced with BA Executive Club accounts.
    • credit_crunch
    • By credit_crunch 1st Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    credit_crunch
    For BA, you can set up a household account for all family members living at the same address. Any avios earned are allocated to each individual but also pooled. Anyone in the household account can book a flight, and the Avios are taken from each household member in the ratio in which they hold them.

For example. I have 160000 avios and my partner has 40000. Our household account has 200000. If my partner books a flight costing 100000 avios, 80000 will be taken from my account and 20000 from my partners.

If my partner had no personal avios, they could still book a flight and all the Avios would be taken from my balance.

Using the Avios site, you can currently use your avios to book a flight for anyone, but Avios accounts are closing and being replaced with BA Executive Club accounts.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Thanks for all the info.
    To cut a long story short, both myself & my husband were declared bankrupt a number of years ago, so credit scores aren't great. Neither of us would get accepted for a reward credit card, so I was thinking if my mum or dad could get a reward card that my husband could use for business expenses, we would still be able to get the clubcard points / airmiles.

Will just have to sit tight for a while longer it seems!

Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,090Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter