Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 17th May 05, 4:35 PM
    • 13,149Posts
    • 9,492Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Rabbit Old Style
    • 17th May 05, 4:35 PM
    Rabbit Old Style 17th May 05 at 4:35 PM
    Just delivered to my doorstep ... 10 freshly shot rabbits. Still warm. I now have the job of skinning & gutting them - ugh! But it's got to be done.

Any favourite recipes out there?
Page 1
  • Queenie
    • 17th May 05, 4:50 PM
    • 17th May 05, 4:50 PM
    You can't beat good old plain ...

... roast rabbit

Just roast it in the oven like chicken - why spoil it with herbs/sauces!
    You can choose your favourite stuffing recipe to fill the cavity.
    Roast at Gas 4/350F for about an hour.
    Last edited by Queenie; 17-05-2005 at 5:16 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    • 17th May 05, 5:07 PM
    • 17th May 05, 5:07 PM
    Rabbit Casserole (from old recipe book - the only recipe book I use for game)

1 rabbit (incl. it's liver)
    1 onion
    1 turnip
    1 carrot
    dripping
    seasoning
    stock or water and milk
    flour
    small parsnip
    piece of celery

Joint your rabbit, cut all the veggies into small pieces. Heat the dripping (or oil) and fry all the veggies for a few minutes, stirring. Add your rabbit joints and turn them, keeping the saucepan on a high heat. Add the rabbit liver, finely chopped. Pour off any excess fat.
    Add seasoning and enough stock and milk mixed to come three-quarters of the way up the contents of the pan. Cover with a lid and simmer until done (3/4's - 1hr) Thicken with the flour which has been blended to a past with some cold water.
    Can be adapted to cook in your slow cooker.
    Serves 4
  • Queenie
    • 17th May 05, 5:13 PM
    • 17th May 05, 5:13 PM
    Rabbit Curry (same old recipe book LOL )

1 rabbit
    1 dessertspoonful of curry powder
    1/2lb onions
    1 small apple
    approx 4 Tbsp dripping/oil
    1 dessertspoonful chutney
    salt n pepper
    Flour or cornflour
    rice, risotto or mashed potatoes
    Water or stock

Sprinkle jointed rabbit all over with the curry powder. Cut the onions into slices, chop the apple.
    Heat the fat in a heavy based pan/stewpan, add the onions and fry until brown.
    Add the rabbit joints and stir for a few minutes until a rich gravy comes from the meat ( the juices should flow). Add about 3/4 to one pint of water or stock bit by bit and stir well.
    Now add the apple and chutney. Season.
    Boil up, cover with a lid and lower the heat; simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
    Blend 3 tsps of flour or cornflour with a little water, add to the stock and stir until boiling.
    Serve with rice, risotto or mashed potato.

Serves 4
    • maryb
    • By maryb 17th May 05, 6:01 PM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 50,272 Thanks
    maryb
    • 17th May 05, 6:01 PM
    • 17th May 05, 6:01 PM
    rabbit is lovely in a stew with a mustard and cream sauce flavoured with a bit of thyme.

use grainy or Dijon mustard rather than the bright yellow sort
  • MrsMW
    • 17th May 05, 6:33 PM
    • 17th May 05, 6:33 PM
    I'm with Queenie, roast rabbit is delicious. When we were kids my dad used to breed rabbits for showing and we always had a pet. We used to think it was great fun when we sat down to eat one of the pets!!!! We had roast bunny for Christmas one year 'cos we were poor.
    Oooooh. I can't bear to think about it now but we also had gloves and hats made from the skins.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 17th May 05, 6:45 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 17th May 05, 6:45 PM
    • 17th May 05, 6:45 PM
    If you haven't got access to 'ready-shot wild rabbit' do you generally have to order it at a butchers? I've actually been thinking this week about trying it but have never seen any in the butchers I go to. How much is it and is there a good meat to bone ratio?

I suppose I could ask my BIL to shoot some, but then there is NO WAY I am preparing it and I know he won't so I suppose I'll have to buy it ready prepped
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 17th May 05, 10:49 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 17th May 05, 10:49 PM
    • 17th May 05, 10:49 PM
    If you haven't got access to 'ready-shot wild rabbit' do you generally have to order it at a butchers? I've actually been thinking this week about trying it but have never seen any in the butchers I go to. How much is it and is there a good meat to bone ratio?

I suppose I could ask my BIL to shoot some, but then there is NO WAY I am preparing it and I know he won't so I suppose I'll have to buy it ready prepped
    by Ticklemouse
    A good butcher will supply wild rabbit, ready prepared.

But if your BIL will shoot some, have a go at "paunching" it. It's not that bad, honest Though you won't want to eat for an hour or too afterwards
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 18th May 05, 1:37 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 18th May 05, 1:37 PM
    • 18th May 05, 1:37 PM

I Can't believe your going to cook Thumper
  • rchddap1
    Who needs to buy rabbit? Plenty on the roads on my way home Give it a wash, chop it up, get those veggies that have been growing in the garden and hey presto an almost free rabbit casserole
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 18th May 05, 2:08 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    Some one gave me a brace shot of rabbits once, neatly tied by the backlegs with string. My two pet jack russells thought they were a new toy and went tearing off with them, one each,still tied together. I had a job to convince them that they were for our tea and that they really ought to give them back.

Mind you aI did have a job swallowing them, I could only think of their little fluffly tails and cute twitchy noses AHHH
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 18th May 05, 2:23 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    i just couldn't bring myself to do it, i'm not an animal rights nut it's just the thought of eating Bambi and Thumper that puts me off

i'm sure if somebody gave it to me on a plate and didn't tell me what it was i'd eat it and enjoy it (I'm sure i'd do it if someone gave me cooked rat!!) but as soon as you told me it was rabbit i'd feel sick.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 18th May 05, 3:20 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    hhmmmmm.... how do you feel about eating cute little bullocks, lambs & piggies?

• littlemissfrugal
    • By littlemissfrugal 18th May 05, 4:00 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    littlemissfrugal
    Im with Clumpster queesy i know but when i was ickl my mum used to meet the poacher monday morning on the way to school to get her rabbits i was didn't eat any lumps in my dinner till at least thursday just in case... another thought can you make a few quid selling their pelts to wayne rooney's girlfriend shes into all that stuff. Bon appetit
    i'm living in a parallel universe
  • Queenie
    i'm sure if somebody gave it to me on a plate and didn't tell me what it was i'd eat it and enjoy it
    by Cullumpster
    *that's why I would tell my eldest three they were eating .... chicken! *
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 18th May 05, 4:26 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Yurch!!! No way could I 'paunch' a rabbit (whatever that entails) I can't even touch the fish when they've died and all I have to do is flush them

I shall enquire at my local (but expensive) butchers this week and then wander around the market butchers. I think I'll give our asian quarter a miss on that one though.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th May 05, 4:42 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    by Queenie

That's what I did with my lot the first time I offered it up for dinner ... now they don't mind as they know it tastes yummy, and youngest DS even helped me skin and joint them last time
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 19th May 05, 9:50 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    hhmmmmm.... how do you feel about eating cute little bullocks, lambs & piggies?

by Debt_Free_Chick
    I know what you mean as i do eat these and don't feel guilty. !:confused:

Perhaps it's because i haven't seen a Disney / fluffy cartoon with them in it or something, i don't know.

Every time i think of eating rabbits all i can think about is singing 'Bright eyes'
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 19th May 05, 10:26 AM
    • 44,846 Posts
    • 40,220 Thanks
    Sheel
    by Queenie
    I used to do the same when I used to make Rabbit Hotpot . Haven't made it for years , but i'm pretty sure my girls wouldn't eat it now :rolleyes:

Reminds me of when I was little and we went to stay with my Grandma in Belgium , I used to love a cold sliced meat which I was told was smoked beef , but my Mum only told me when I was grown up that it was horsemeat
    JAMMF
  • bugs
    Yurch!!! No way could I 'paunch' a rabbit (whatever that entails)
    by Ticklemouse
    If you'd like to know, then click here for an article on paunching and skinning rabbits - if you wouldn't like to know and you might be offended then *really don't click there*

(I've posted several links to our site today - it probably looks terrible but I'm really not here just for the adverts )
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,302Posts Today

8,697Users online

Martin's Twitter